Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AxeMan
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Apeks have just brought out a range of doughnut wings. The WTX D30 is a 30lb one. Only seen pics on the web though.
    See http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for trip reports including Grand Cayman, Tulum and the Philippines

Comment

• jturner
      Established TDF Member
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by AxeMan
      Apeks have just brought out a range of doughnut wings. The WTX D30 is a 30lb one. Only seen pics on the web though.
      I have seen the real thing in the flesh! It's similar in shape to the Red Hat 30lb (old school some might say) and has a built-in STA and band slots, low profile dumps etc. The thing that messes it up for me as a travel wing (why oh why to Apeks drop the ball on such simple things?!!) is that the inflator weighs 10000 tons. It's a monster. Which then makes me think why would I buy one of those knowing I had to replace the beast of an inflator?! Such a shame. For UK diving, it would be nice though.

8/10!
      The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I worked for etc.

Comment

• Zubar
        TDF Member
        • Jan 2013

Sam at justApeks is doing them cheap

Comment

• scoobyman
          TDF Member
          • Aug 2013

I saw this at the London dive show, it's a nice slim design going the length of the tank. They were asking £190.

Comment

• Big Matt
            taller than the BFG and more friendly
            • Jan 2013

I'd stick with the wtx3. still a donut and less than £150
            I wish everything in life was black or white. Except for fish. Oh and the sea. Blue or green, I don't mind either. And my TV. Ah sod it, nothing in life should be black or white. Phew, that's a relief

Comment

• scoobyman
              TDF Member
              • Aug 2013

Right peeps. Ive just phoned go dive and they have the set up on the shelf so I'm a happy man. I asked the fella if this set up needed an sta. And he reckoned Yes. I'm not sure about this and didn't wanna part with my cash.
              So could you tell me if it does or not.
              I'm under the impression 2 cam bands would be enough.

Comment

• Zubar
                TDF Member
                • Jan 2013

Whilst 2 cam bands will do, adding an sta will be better. More stable tank. Also easier to set up and change tank.

Comment

• Stew W
                  #VanGogh
                  • Jun 2013

Originally posted by scoobyman
                  Right peeps. Ive just phoned go dive and they have the set up on the shelf so I'm a happy man. I asked the fella if this set up needed an sta. And he reckoned Yes. I'm not sure about this and didn't wanna part with my cash.
                  So could you tell me if it does or not.
                  I'm under the impression 2 cam bands would be enough.
                  With an APEKS BP then no not needed. With a different one possibly. I had used to pair my WTX3 with a Zeagle BP, no drama, switched to an Ali IST BP and the cam slots are just off enough to be a pain, so I ended up buying an STA.

Wait and See.

Worst case grab the travel ones from Kent tooling.
                  "Depends if you do your ascent on the way up" GLOC 2014

Comment

• AxeMan
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Big Matt
                    I'd stick with the wtx3. still a donut and less than £150
                    But the new one is wider at the bottom, so more of the bouyancy would be in a useful place on the surface rather than behind your head.
                    See http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for trip reports including Grand Cayman, Tulum and the Philippines

Comment

• Big Matt
                      • Jan 2013

But the new one is wider at the bottom, so more of the bouyancy would be in a useful place on the surface rather than behind your head.
                      that sounds a bit emperors new clothes to me nothing wrong with the previous model and it's £50 cheaper.
                      I wish everything in life was black or white. Except for fish. Oh and the sea. Blue or green, I don't mind either. And my TV. Ah sod it, nothing in life should be black or white. Phew, that's a relief

Comment

• jturner
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Jan 2013

Plus the new one is double-skinned...
                        The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I worked for etc.

Comment

• Big Matt
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by jturner
                          Plus the new one is double-skinned...
                          does it have an H logo on it? you could double the price if it did

my point is there is nothing wrong with the old model. far from it. you want the latest shiniest piece of kit? go for it. I'm more guilty of that than most. merely suggesting an alternative that's cheaper.

Comment

• Major Clanger
                            Purine hurts my feet
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by jturner
                            I have seen the real thing in the flesh! It's similar in shape to the Red Hat 30lb (old school some might say) and has a built-in STA and band slots, low profile dumps etc. The thing that messes it up for me as a travel wing (why oh why to Apeks drop the ball on such simple things?!!) is that the inflator weighs 10000 tons. It's a monster. Which then makes me think why would I buy one of those knowing I had to replace the beast of an inflator?! Such a shame. For UK diving, it would be nice though.

8/10!
                            15 quid for an inflator and you keep a spare.
                            GaryL

Comment

• Major Clanger
                              Purine hurts my feet
                              • Dec 2012

On the surface in a vertical position, a wider bottom will make no difference whatsoever. Like the rec wing, I suspect it's to give extra lift to the hips area when horizontally in a wet suit. I bob like a float on the surface in my wtx3.
                              GaryL

Comment

• AxeMan
                                Established TDF Member
                                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                                On the surface in a vertical position, a wider bottom will make no difference whatsoever.
                                How do you work that out? Fully inflated, there will be more air at the bottom, so it will lift you higher out of the water. Air at the top of the wing won't lift you out of the water, so for the same overall lift, a wing with a wider bottom lifts you higher.

Comment

Working...