X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Allan Carr
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Wreck Diving Survey

A survey just pooped up in our club e-mail.

Looks like somebody trying to sell artwork/plans for wrecks. No indication of costs though.
  • MikeF
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Clicked on the website and England Ireland and Wales appear to have no wrecks and Scotland has the Breda. Which seems to have gone to the sound of mull for its summer holidays.

Comment

• Chrisch
      Tofu eating wokerato
      • Jan 2013

Your email is required.

No thanks.
      There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
      With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• jturner
        Established TDF Member
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by MikeF
        Clicked on the website and England Ireland and Wales appear to have no wrecks and Scotland has the Breda. Which seems to have gone to the sound of mull for its summer holidays.
        Well, it is very nice around there, so it is understandable.
        The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I worked for etc.

Comment

• Wardy_uk
          Established TDF Member
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Chrisch
          Your email is required.

No thanks.
          do you not have a throw away account for just such a reason?

Comment

• TomDTW
            New TDF Member
            • Aug 2019

Hey! I’m Tom from DiveTheWreck.

Over the past few days, we have been sending out a survey in the hope to further our knowledge of the diving community. This is to find out what divers would like to see on our site. While our site is still in construction, gathering the opinions of the diving community will help us to create the best possible experience for everyone.

Our aim is to create a site that can help people easily find the information they need in a clear and fun way whilst appreciating the historic significance of the sites. At the same time, we are all divers ourselves and all love to dive wrecks!

Thanks

Tom

Comment

• Stuart Keasley
              bottlefish
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Chrisch
              Your email is required.

No thanks.
              An email is required, it doesn't have to be yours, there's no check for validity before proceeding, e.g you could enter [email protected]
              Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Comment

• Stuart Keasley
                bottlefish
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by TomDTW

Over the past few days, we have been sending out a survey in the hope to further our knowledge of the diving community. This is to find out what divers would like to see on our site. While our site is still in construction, gathering the opinions of the diving community will help us to create the best possible experience for everyone.

Our aim is to create a site that can help people easily find the information they need in a clear and fun way whilst appreciating the historic significance of the sites. At the same time, we are all divers ourselves and all love to dive wrecks!

Thanks

Tom
                Welcome to the forum Tom.

As a suggestion, just to start you off, try searching past posts. The idea of an online resource for divers (by divers blah blah blah) comes up quite regularly, at least every six months, so a lot of the questions you may have (or perhaps should have) have possibly already been asked and answered. Also worth doing a Google against the various ideas that have been muted in the past to see how many actually managed to make it passed the initial info gathering stage!
                Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Comment

• TomDTW
                  New TDF Member
                  • Aug 2019

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for your advice, we will certainly take it on board. We're always open to any feedback anyone has, I appreciate the form might not ask all the right questions so if you have any changes to suggest then do let me know.
                  I'll have a look through the forum now that I have an account here.

Thanks,

Tom

Comment

• Wibs
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Aug 2015

Look at www.wrecksite.eu

The first thing you’ll notice is how many wrecks there are in UK waters.

Comment

• Paulo
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Fuck me! That was one AWFUL survey!!
                      If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• Decosnapper
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by TomDTW
                        Several observations.

One of the questions asked about artist imagery and high quality online drawings of a wreck as a guide. Things are moving on from what folk think a wreck looks like to 3D data and 2D ortho photos can tell you exactly what is there and where it is in the world:

3D models with location

And how big it is:

Measurement and scale

And even where objects might be buried within the site:

Digital Elevation Model of the P47-D

At this stage I am not sure what the site is going to offer?

Is it intended to be a one-stop-shop for all wreck info?

How will you acquire the content to make the site authoritative? How will you know the content is accurate and valid? How will you keep it up to date? Things can change quickly:

F2 Deck Gun going walkabout

What will be the site's USP and why will we reach for that URL every time we want to know something about a wreck?

There are a lot of sites out there such as Sketchfab for 3D content, 2D mapping sites to host the ortho photo...wrecksite.eu for more detailed history...personal pages such as the P47-D page above (still gets 50~100 hits per month) that contain a wealth of data. Agreed its not all in one place...but its out there...even books*:

UB116

SS Thistlegorm

Sorry to sound so negative...I like to see folks have a real go at something radical/different...but I am at a bit of a loss as to what this site will do? Maybe its early days and there is more to come?

*Apologies for the shameless plug...
                        Simon Brown

AccuPixel

Comment

• UnCheeky Monkey
                          I used to be Cheeky
                          • May 2018

Originally posted by Decosnapper
                          .but I am at a bit of a loss as to what this site will do?
                          sell T shirts and photos ?
                          Half the population of war-torn Yemen - 14 million people - are facing "pre-famine conditions", the UN has warned

Comment

• TomDTW
                            New TDF Member
                            • Aug 2019

Hi Simon,

First of all these are some truly amazing renders and images of wrecks. We had stumbled over your site when we first started building our website. I totally agree that the methods you have listed are highly accurate and second to none in providing data about our wrecks. The site isn’t intended to be a one stop shop for every single wreck out there; instead, we have chosen to only focus on wrecks we have dived first hand thus really focusing our project.

Each page we hope will feature an artist’s representation of the wreck, and a write-up of its history supplemented by a short ‘dive plan’ on how we carried out our dives. There are plenty of sources on the web that help keep content accurate which we will certainly use for reference. Perhaps it is best to see this as an ‘artistic project’ over a means of collecting data on all of our wrecks. By diving the wrecks ourselves hopefully on a regular basis this will help us keep the pages up to date and alter our drawings if anything does change.

Whilst there are a lot of websites that have drawings of wrecks, the style and detail of our drawings, posted in situ with useful information will hopefully make an easier format for diver who perhaps have not yet discovered the wonders of photogrammetry, are yet to explore a particular dive site, or even take their first dive!
                            The purpose of the very informal survey we have sent out to dive clubs was to gather some first hand information from the diving community to test the water on what may and may not work, and I must say your post has been incredibly helpful.

It is certainly early days and we are at a very preliminary stage in developing something that divers can enjoy, but I hope you will find the finished pieces useful.

Thanks

Tom

Comment

• Wibs
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Aug 2015

I'm looking forwards to the day that we can have accurate sonar images of wrecks so we can plan our dives. However, this is currently difficult and very expensive to do, so will have to wait until the tech's available.

There's a stunning array of wrecks available around our shores. Focussing on a few means that the majority are missed.

Comment

Working...