X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikael
    Could start a fight in a convent.
    • Dec 2012

Buoyancy aid for boat handling - advice please

As the title suggests I am after a buoyancy aid I can wear when boat handling.

Any brands to avoid? Where should I buy etc

Don't need super fancy just a good comfortable fit (I am 5'11'' slim build) that won't auto inflate due to normal spray and allows me to move freely on the RHIB.

Cheers
    Mikael
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)
  • Firthy
    Platinum member... I wish
    • Dec 2012

If it's inflating then it's normally a lifejacket rather than buoyancy aid. You can get solid buoyancy aids and lifejackets though.

Buy one with a manual inflation system if you are expecting to get wet. Disadvantage being it won't auto-inflate if you are unconscious and fall in.

Normally powered by a 60g CO2 capsule. They vary from the lighter ones 150Nish with single chamber, to the offshore 275N ones with twin cylinders for redundancy.

If need the paperwork trail buy a new one from any retailer. If not, then eBay works. Can always buy a spare cartridge, deploy it sometime when out on boat to test it works and then repack and swap cartridge.

I'd suggest in a rib you don't want anything too bulky and if not doing anything in large sea states smaller one would do. Would get in way less also. You can pick up a new one in Decathalon for about £50.

Comment

• Tens
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

It might be a bit too bulky for you but these floatation jackets are the biz. Very hard wearing and waterproof (use them on the croft when it's peeing down), has a good hood and pockets. Need to remember to tie the waist strap nice and tight if relying on the jacket for buoyancy.
      Blue/Yellow flotation jacket from Fladen. Buoyancy rated to EN393. Small: W-40-60kg / Size-118cm Medium: W-50-70kg / Size-128cm Large: W-70-90kg / Size-138cm XL: W-90kg / Size-148cm XXL: W:90kg / Size-158cm £142.99.Gael Force - suppliers of the best and biggest choice of marine equipment chandlery in the UK.

Comment

• Spirit of Guernsey
        Established WTF Member
        • Dec 2012

A normal automatic life jacket won't inflate with spray. I have had plenty of drenchings without it firing.
        There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
        Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

Comment

• fibre
          TDF Member
          • Sep 2013

I’ve had a Baltic jacket for about 20 years. It’s tested every few years and it’s still going - although it is now showing its age.

I’ve just bought a new spin lock deck vest and it’s a revelation, so much more comfortable and a much more secure feel.

If I was looking for something to wear for a few hours at a time, I would buy another Baltic, but for all day use the spin lock wins every time. My spin lock was through the RYA - well worth investigating as it was a major discount.

Comment

• Chrisch
            Tofu eating wokerato
            • Jan 2013

Auto inflate lifejackets generally need an immersion to go off - they work on pressure IFAIK. They are designed for us in full spray or driving rain on a boat. By far the best choice of protection when boat handling.
            There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
            With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• Stuart Keasley
              bottlefish
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Chrisch
              Auto inflate lifejackets generally need an immersion to go off - they work on pressure IFAIK. They are designed for us in full spray or driving rain on a boat. By far the best choice of protection when boat handling.
              Some auto inflate systems have pills/barriers that dissolve on water. This Web site gives a little more info

I've only ever used that dissolving pill variety, never had an issue although it was always a worry.

Edit : reading further, seems like the HAMMAR system would be a good choice if you want auto inflate that won't activate if you get a drenching.

Last edited by Stuart Keasley; 23-06-2019, 06:33 AM.
              Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Comment

• Paulo
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

Auto inflate jackets have a little salt canister. When wet enough, the salt desolves allowing the mechanism to arm.

If you have an auto inflate jacket and decide you would prefer a manual one, simply unscrew the salt canister.

Really surprised you could be in a club so long and not have a life jacket though. Do you not wear one every time you are on a RIB?
                If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• Chrisch
                  Tofu eating wokerato
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Stuart Keasley
                  Edit : reading further, seems like the HAMMAR system would be a good choice if you want auto inflate that won't activate if you get a drenching.
                  That's the one I have and have had for 15 years or so without any issues. The CO2 needs replacement every so often but I haven't got round to it yet...
                  There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
                  With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• Mikael
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Paulo
                    Auto inflate jackets have a little salt canister. When wet enough, the salt desolves allowing the mechanism to arm.

If you have an auto inflate jacket and decide you would prefer a manual one, simply unscrew the salt canister.

Really surprised you could be in a club so long and not have a life jacket though. Do you not wear one every time you are on a RIB?
                    We just zip up our drysuit before leaving the harbour
                    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Comment

• Paulo
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Mikael
                      We just zip up our drysuit before leaving the harbour
                      Oh wow! That really isnt sufficient! On a RIB you want somethig that will face you right way up if you fell in. Imagine the impact of hitting the water at 20kn
                      If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• Mikael
                        • Dec 2012

Oh wow! That really isnt sufficient! On a RIB you want somethig that will face you right way up if you fell in. Imagine the impact of hitting the water at 20kn
                        I wonder what the split among clubs that RHIB dive is on wearing additional buoyancy over the drysuit?

It's only since moving to England that I have joined a RHIB owning club. That said all the other times I have been out on a RHIB (privately owned or as a charter) I don't ever recall being asked to put on a life jacket.

Comment

• Energy58
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Spirit of Guernsey
                          A normal automatic life jacket won't inflate with spray. I have had plenty of drenchings without it firing.
                          Some are pressure activated, which generally don't go off, others rely on a dissolving bobbin thingy which most certainly do - the standard as far as I remember is deployment in 30 seconds of immersion so if you are getting wet it WILL go off after using it for a while on most RHIBs: they are not designed for people who are getting wet regularly.

Comment

• MikeF
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Dec 2012

Having fallen / been pushed out of a rib on a few occasions and having done a fair bit of water skiing in my youth I can assure you that hitting the water at 20 kts is bracing but not generally life threatening.

Comment

• WFO
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Dec 2012

That's what pretty much everyone does though.

If you fall off you bounce a bit, worst thing is the water going down your neck seal

Comment

Working...