X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Denny
    Established TDF Member
    • Mar 2016

Removable sidemount/stage rigging

Hi all, It might be a naive question, but I am going to be doing some introductory sidemount stuff in a couple of weeks. I've got a couple of matched 12l cylinders with mirrored valves (left and right) which I use as independent twins or singles as well.

If I add rigging for use sidemount, most kits seem to have at least one steel band to hold it all in place. Does that make it tricky to remove the rest of the rigging? If I leave it all in place, can you still use them with normal B D cam bands, or does it get in the way? Is there an easily removable option?

Thanks!
  • Ian_6301
    Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    • Jan 2013

Once set up, the whole lot can be removed by loosening the jubilee band with a screwdriver (or better, a socket on an electric drill) and just lifting everything up and over. Super easy and takes longer to type than to do.

Putting it back on again is easy too, just slip everything down over the cylinder and tighten up the band. If you want to make it super-repeatable, you can use a sharpie marker to draw along the edges of the band, to guarantee you get it to go back in the right place.

It is possible to use the cylinders for single cylinder diving with the stage rigging still attached, as the jubilee clip is unlikely to be in the same place as the cam bands on your BCD...?
    Strategy without Tactics is the slowest route to Victory. Tactics without Strategy is the sound before defeat.

Comment

• Phate
      Bewildered Nomad
      • Jan 2014

To get the cylinder band in the right place. Measure from your armpit to your hip. Or have someone else do this as its difficult to measure yourself. Then make a mark on the cylinder with a sharpie of that exact measurement.

This will help your cylinders sit in the correct place!
      Travel Blog Twitter

Comment

• OutOfTest
        Established TDF Member
        • Oct 2013

Instead of using jubilees you can also use cam bands which are quick to remove, or, my personal favourite, plain old snoopy loops and just put a crab through em.

A very well known and extremely highly accomplished diver does this with all his cylinders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Alby R
          Established TDF Member
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by OutOfTest
          Instead of using jubilees you can also use cam bands which are quick to remove, or, my personal favourite, plain old snoopy loops and just put a crab through em.

A very well known and extremely highly accomplished diver does this with all his cylinders

how did you know about me

alby

Comment

• Irnbru
            TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

@OOT - i've never used just a snoopy and a krab, but have seen it in use in White Keld etc. One to try methinks...

@Alex Denny - I have steel bands on my 12s and some snoopys to hold hoses etc in place. When I'm OW diving I will just take the krab off and back mount a single 12 and leave the snoopys and steel band on...nice and easy
            Like Cave Diving? - see www.fb.me/CaveDivingFilms
            A few videos of dives I have done over the last few years - Scotland, Wales and Egypt | www.youtube.com/Stirlingscuba

Comment

• OutOfTest
              Established TDF Member
              • Oct 2013

Irnbru- I tried the snoopy loop and krab whilst on a trip in Spain with him last year. My jubilee broke between sumps.

It definitely works just fine and you can even walk around above water with large cylinders on (with enough snoopys)

But I still prefer jubilees

Comment

• uncertainplume
                TDF Member
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by OutOfTest
                Irnbru- I tried the snoopy loop and krab whilst on a trip in Spain with him last year. My jubilee broke between sumps.

It definitely works just fine and you can even walk around above water with large cylinders on (with enough snoopys)

But I still prefer jubilees

What 's a krab?

Comment

• OutOfTest
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Oct 2013

Originally posted by uncertainplume
                  What 's a krab?
                  The Wild Country Helium carabiner has received a lot of hype since its release over a decade ago, and, due to its exorbitant price here in the US, a lot of...

Comment

• Phate
                    Bewildered Nomad
                    • Jan 2014

Oops. Wrong thread
                    Travel Blog Twitter

Comment

Working...