X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stuart Keasley
    bottlefish
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Chimp
    For what reason though? And who really cares anyway?
    You're the only person on this thread that has an issue with it. Lots of other people do care, as can been seen from their replies. If you don't share those concerns, fair enough, your choice.... so leave the thread to those that do.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Comment

• iain/hsm
      Banned
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by bottle maker
      Is it necessary to refer to Chinese people in that term?
      Gong hei fat choy.......... to you and all.

Comment

• Nickpicks
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by iain/hsm
        Gong hei fat choy.......... to you and all.
        You're a month early!
        Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Comment

• iain/hsm
          Banned
          • Jun 2014

For what reason though? And who really cares anyway?

We live in the 21st century. A globalised world where some parts do one thing and other parts do something else. What part a post-Brexshit UK will do remains to be seen. Maybe we could corner the market on meaningless internet forum lists?
          Do you want the reason for the list or the background surrounding it, that prompted the list to be posted in the first place.

You see those that care about the UK Diving Industry will understand both aspects while those that dont understand cannot as they live in blind ignorance. That may also serve as good enough an explanation to your "21st century" comment, our position within Europe and your "parts do something do something else" confusion.

There are others on the forum that have posted in this thread with purely distructive intent, Maybe we could corner them and give the list some market meaning ranging from the simple ignorance through the vested interest stage onto outright jealousy.

Finally I do understand from your perspective that the reasons may not concern you. What does and should is your stated lack of care.
          You really do need to care, it will affect you and your diving if you don't. Futher if you continue it will affect you badly.
          Last edited by iain/hsm; 07-01-2021, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• iain/hsm
            Banned
            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Nickpicks
            You're a month early!
            Nickpicks nitpicks

Comment

• Chimp
              Bananas!
              • Sep 2019

Do you want the reason for the list or the background surrounding it, that prompted the list to be posted in the first place.

You see those that care about the UK Diving Industry will understand both aspects while those that dont understand cannot as they live in blind ignorance. That may also serve as good enough an explanation to your "21st century" comment, our position within Europe and your "parts do something do something else" confusion.

There are others on the forum that have posted in this thread with purely distructive intent, Maybe we could corner them and give the list some market meaning ranging from the simple ignorance through the vested interest stage onto outright jealousy.

Finally I do understand from your perspective that the reasons may not concern you. What does and should is your stated lack of care.
              You really do need to care, it will affect you and your diving if you don't. Futher if you continue it will affect you badly.
              I really don't get any of this rambling statement. It still doesn't answer the question I've posed 4 times now which is; why did you bother?

Maybe not knowing the answer shows me to be stupid but that's OK as I'm well aware of that already, so if you wouldn't mind answering the stupid question that would be great.

You've posted up a list, unsolicited by anyone on the forum so far as I can make out, with the rules for inclusion arbitrarily set by yourself, but you haven't said why you bothered or why I should bother. In the post above you've simply alluded to 'ignorance' (twice) and said I should care, but haven't said why. I'm genuinely interested what you mean by "it will affect my diving" and "further if you continue it will affect you badly"?

Without an explanation you see I'm left to conclude that you either wanted to display some kind of arcane 'knowledge' as graham_hk suggested (for reasons best known to yourself), or make a 'jump' to some other answer I infer from your comments (on this thread and others) such as by "Made in the UK" what you really mean is you think we should all 'Buy British' (a laudable sentiment but not always the right thing to do), or that somehow this equates with "high quality" as all that foreign muck is made to a price and will fall apart as soon as it's unwrapped (which will be correct in some instances and woefully incorrect in others). Your previous references to the 'pile-em-high-sell-em-cheap' places like Primark and Aldi would perhaps fit with this hypothesis (I'm having to make 'jumps' of course as you won't spell it out for thickos like me).

Please explain (clearly and without obfuscation or any derogatory remarks) why you think I should care what country my diving equipment is made in any more than I care where the car I drive is made or the computer I'm typing this on, or the wee Chinese-made Bluetooth dongle that just dropped through my letterbox via Amazon (a US company btw)?? What's so special about the diving equipment industry that its demise in the UK is to be lamented any more than all the other manufacturing industries which have gone east? Please explain why “it will affect me badly” if I don’t understand the importance of not paying 50 squillion quid for a "quality" item made in Britain at the rate of 2 per week by some old codger in his shed (who sources all his parts/raw materials from abroad anyway!) rather than a few bob for a mass produced Chinese one that will do at least as good a job and if it breaks after a few years I can just buy another one for another few bob?

If it's about supporting British jobs fair enough. I'm all for supporting British jobs. But let’s support the jobs we’re good at and where we're competitive in the world (and that's obviously NOT dive equipment manufacturing going by your list!). We can't be self-sufficient and we can't be good at everything. Some things are just better sourced from abroad and it would seem dive equipment is one of those things. Shame but there you go.

And what exactly does "made in the UK" mean? How far down the supply chain do we go? Should we not maybe have "Assembled in the UK" instead? Or "Designed in the UK"? Or "Based in the UK for tax purposes"? "Made in the UK" (or "Made" anywhere really) is almost meaningless these days as nearly all manufacturing companies have a global supply chain if you drill down deep enough. It’s just a badge. A marketing illusion. We are all intertwined and interdependent.
              Believe it or not, bananas do contain a small quantity of Musa Sapientum bananadine, which is a mild, short-lasting psychedelic

Comment

• Stuart Keasley
                bottlefish
                • Dec 2012

I really don't get any of this rambling statement. It still doesn't answer the question I've posed 4 times now which is; why did you bother?

Maybe not knowing the answer shows me to be stupid but that's OK as I'm well aware of that already, so if you wouldn't mind answering the stupid question that would be great.

You've posted up a list, unsolicited by anyone on the forum so far as I can make out, with the rules for inclusion arbitrarily set by yourself, but you haven't said why you bothered or why I should bother. In the post above you've simply alluded to 'ignorance' (twice) and said I should care, but haven't said why. I'm genuinely interested what you mean by "it will affect my diving" and "further if you continue it will affect you badly"?

Without an explanation you see I'm left to conclude that you either wanted to display some kind of arcane 'knowledge' as graham_hk suggested (for reasons best known to yourself), or make a 'jump' to some other answer I infer from your comments (on this thread and others) such as by "Made in the UK" what you really mean is you think we should all 'Buy British' (a laudable sentiment but not always the right thing to do), or that somehow this equates with "high quality" as all that foreign muck is made to a price and will fall apart as soon as it's unwrapped (which will be correct in some instances and woefully incorrect in others). Your previous references to the 'pile-em-high-sell-em-cheap' places like Primark and Aldi would perhaps fit with this hypothesis (I'm having to make 'jumps' of course as you won't spell it out for thickos like me).

Please explain (clearly and without obfuscation or any derogatory remarks) why you think I should care what country my diving equipment is made in any more than I care where the car I drive is made or the computer I'm typing this on, or the wee Chinese-made Bluetooth dongle that just dropped through my letterbox via Amazon (a US company btw)?? What's so special about the diving equipment industry that its demise in the UK is to be lamented any more than all the other manufacturing industries which have gone east? Please explain why “it will affect me badly” if I don’t understand the importance of not paying 50 squillion quid for a "quality" item made in Britain at the rate of 2 per week by some old codger in his shed (who sources all his parts/raw materials from abroad anyway!) rather than a few bob for a mass produced Chinese one that will do at least as good a job and if it breaks after a few years I can just buy another one for another few bob?

If it's about supporting British jobs fair enough. I'm all for supporting British jobs. But let’s support the jobs we’re good at and where we're competitive in the world (and that's obviously NOT dive equipment manufacturing going by your list!). We can't be self-sufficient and we can't be good at everything. Some things are just better sourced from abroad and it would seem dive equipment is one of those things. Shame but there you go.

And what exactly does "made in the UK" mean? How far down the supply chain do we go? Should we not maybe have "Assembled in the UK" instead? Or "Designed in the UK"? Or "Based in the UK for tax purposes"? "Made in the UK" (or "Made" anywhere really) is almost meaningless these days as nearly all manufacturing companies have a global supply chain if you drill down deep enough. It’s just a badge. A marketing illusion. We are all intertwined and interdependent.
                And you have the cheek to say Ian's reply was rambling! Wow!

Anyway, what you actually asked was "Who cares", why is it important.

That's been answered, quite a few times, by different people.

So what's the problem, what's wrong with the answers given?

And why do you care so much that other people care? Why does the idea of this bother you so much?
                Last edited by Stuart Keasley; 07-01-2021, 05:57 PM.
                Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Comment

• iain/hsm
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2014

1. Why did you bother?

2. You've posted up a list, unsolicited by anyone on the forum

3. But you haven't said why you bothered

4. What you really mean is you think we should all 'Buy British'

5. Please explain (clearly and without obfuscation or any derogatory remarks) why you think I should care what country my diving equipment is made i

6. What's so special about the diving equipment industry that its demise in the UK is to be lamented

7. Please explain why “it will affect me badly”

8. We are all intertwined and interdependent.
                  OK I have made another list based purely on your questions. Please take a look over it and tell me if Iv'e got it about correct.

Comment

• Jen - Winged Blob
                    Supergnu
                    • Dec 2012

OK I have made another list based purely on your questions. Please take a look over it and tell me if Iv'e got it about correct.
                    I think I can spot the problem here. Surely TDF lists aren't meant to be sequentially numbered?!

Comment

• Barrygoss
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Stuart Keasley
                      And you have the cheek to say Ian's reply was rambling! Wow!

Anyway, what you actually asked was "Who cares", why is it important.

That's been answered, quite a few times, by different people.

So what's the problem, what's wrong with the answers given?

And why do you care so much that other people care? Why does the idea of this bother you so much?
                      Tbh it’s funny. It’s not a list of the best. It’s not a list of the best value for money. It’s not a list of the most technologically sound.

It’s a list of English makes (p.s. we haven’t owned Ireland for a while)

Ok. They’re not the best, they’re not the most supported. They’re not even the most stylish. But they’re our shit.

Or did I get the purpose of the list wrong.

As directed to the OP (not at you Stuart) just a list of mediocrity. I’m all for supporting home grown excellence, but home grown average? Meh

B
                      Last edited by Barrygoss; 08-01-2021, 10:02 PM.
                      Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Comment

• cathal
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Jan 2013

British Made Divers Equipment UK

As a poor diver, thankfully globalisation has enabled us to be able to get the best dive kit on the market, regardless where it’s made, at the best possible price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by cathal; 11-01-2021, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• iain/hsm
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by cathal
                          As a poor diver, thankfully globalisation has enabled us to be able to get the best dive kit on the market, regardless where it’s made, at the best possible price.
                          Cathal. That's pretty funny

Especially when you consider that one of them, your "best dive kit on the market kit" kind of companies you infer also owned Maplins before they went bust and now owns pretty much all the UK funeral undertaker services. All at the best possible price.

There you go a genuine major manufacturer importer and distributor to the UK rinky dink statewall LDS industry of scuba equipment, but thats not all .......a manufacturer of ladies hair curlers, and the owner of pretty much the entire UK funeral service and cremation industry.
                          Thanks all to poor divers and at the best possible price. Supply your dive kit, fix the wifes hair, and burn you to a cinder when your done breathing. What's not to like. LOL
                          Last edited by iain/hsm; 11-01-2021, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• cathal
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Jan 2013

Lost me there completely. What are you trying to say exactly ?

Comment

• iain/hsm
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by cathal
                              Lost me there completely. What are you trying to say exactly ?
                              Poor You.

Comment

• cathal
                                Established TDF Member
                                • Jan 2013

Or maybe the message is possibly unclear? Again, what exactly is your point!

Comment

Working...