• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonG
    Established TDF Member
    • Apr 2017

O Dive Tek personal Doppler style sensor

Has anyone seen these:

O'Dive TEK helps you better analyse the quality of your tek diving practice and improve your safety towards decompression sickness.
  • EmpireMica
    TDF Member
    • Nov 2018

No, but I'd be very careful about using it only in private.

There are some people who regard ANY bubbles detected by doppler as a sign of DCS, whether you have any other symptoms of DCS or a history that might suggest it, or not.

Comment

• Nickpicks
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

Can you get it to wireless link to your dive computer and tell you if you need to do a longer deco stop?
      Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Comment

• shapeshifter
        Established TDF Member
        • Jan 2013

They're on the cusp of going big-time here.

I can't think that having per diver and per dive bubble data can really be worse than not having it.

Comment

• gobfish1
          Last of the Mohicans
          • Jan 2013

love the simulation bullshit , ffs if a diver is not already doing his due diligance and is that paranoid maybe its time to get out of the water for good,
          None diver as of 2018.

Comment

• cathal
            Established TDF Member
            • Jan 2013

Academic review of the O Dive portable doppler monitor below, interesting comment made regarding the proporiety method of the assessment of decompression quality.

Comment

• WFO
              Established TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

"The diver then needs to input the depth, immersion time, dive duration, and stops performed in order to allow analysis."

Seems mad that it doesn't need ascent rate data, especially given that most people don't ascend anywhere near the model rates.

Interesting device, wonder when it will get compared publicly with other methods of measurement.

(also getting my popcorn out ready for inevitable rossh based shitfight which seems about as likely as pdf's and bullshit on a ccr thread)
              Last edited by WFO; 12-12-2021, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• MikeF
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

measuring micro bubbles post dive is probably fun but surely if you dive you will always have micro bubble formation on surfacing, it's just a matter of how big those bubbles are and how many? so what you are measuring is the quantity of detectable bubbles not decompression risk unless you equate the two.

Just personal thoughts here but this seems to be measuring the quantity of microbubbles and telling you that's good , middling or risky. But what does that bubble count actually equate to as a decompression risk?

Does the same bubble count in an overweight 60 year old with a PFO present the same risk of DCS as it would in a super fit 21 year old? I suspect age is probably more of a risk factor than how many bubbles are detectable. Does the analysis take into account age, BMI, PFO, etc when giving results of risk?

Comment

• notdeadyet
                  Nicotine, valium, vicodin...
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by gobfish1
                  love the simulation bullshit , ffs if a diver is not already doing his due diligance and is that paranoid maybe its time to get out of the water for good,
                  It sounds like a machine that tells you what your blood type is after you chopped your finger off. At least you know for the next time.

I'm guessing it's aimed at the people that will spend two grand on a torch.
                  Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Comment

• notdeadyet
                    • Jan 2013

After a quick read, it seems the analysis is done server side? Seems a hell of a lot of money to spend on something that might well end up useless if the company goes bust (which is very likely when you look at the history of "revolutionary" dive kit) and you can't do the analysis on your own device.
                    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Comment

• WFO
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by notdeadyet
                      After a quick read, it seems the analysis is done server side? Seems a hell of a lot of money to spend on something that might well end up useless if the company goes bust (which is very likely when you look at the history of "revolutionary" dive kit) and you can't do the analysis on your own device.
                      Yes I wondered same thing myself and I cannot see any reason why it would need to be that way, the proper studies that have used VGE as outcome measurements haven't had to send stuff off. Is it just a symptom of the current "dickhead with a topknot" product designer obsession with making devices internet connected/reliant?
                      What next an SPG that needs cloud connection to detect a bit of pipe bending and decide how far to shove the needle round?

Or is it some back handed data gathering for reasons unknown? Going to need to pay a subscription to get your results?

Got to say though I have no idea what is involved in data processing of ultrasound to translate that into a bubble score, maybe there are sound reasons why it can't be done on a PC locally? I'd be curious to know.

Comment

• WFO
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by MikeF
                        measuring micro bubbles post dive is probably fun but surely if you dive you will always have micro bubble formation on surfacing, it's just a matter of how big those bubbles are and how many? so what you are measuring is the quantity of detectable bubbles not decompression risk unless you equate the two.

Just personal thoughts here but this seems to be measuring the quantity of microbubbles and telling you that's good , middling or risky. But what does that bubble count actually equate to as a decompression risk?

Does the same bubble count in an overweight 60 year old with a PFO present the same risk of DCS as it would in a super fit 21 year old? I suspect age is probably more of a risk factor than how many bubbles are detectable. Does the analysis take into account age, BMI, PFO, etc when giving results of risk?

Comment

• notdeadyet
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by WFO
                          Yes I wondered same thing myself and I cannot see any reason why it would need to be that way, the proper studies that have used VGE as outcome measurements haven't had to send stuff off. Is it just a symptom of the current "dickhead with a topknot" product designer obsession with making devices internet connected/reliant?
                          What next an SPG that needs cloud connection to detect a bit of pipe bending and decide how far to shove the needle round?

Or is it some back handed data gathering for reasons unknown? Going to need to pay a subscription to get your results?

Got to say though I have no idea what is involved in data processing of ultrasound to translate that into a bubble score, maybe there are sound reasons why it can't be done on a PC locally? I'd be curious to know.
                          Anything like this I always think data is the real profit margin. Maybe I'm wrong or just cynical but I can't help wondering why they want the database of results. Might be so they can tune the analysis better. Might just be altruistic. You never know, there is always a first time in business Or it might be something else.

Sadly, most of these new companies eventually fail. That's just the nature of manufacturing and product development. Reminds me of Liquivision. We'll alnways be there for support and servicing, don't worry, buy with confidence. If it was a couple of hundred quid, the processing was done on my laptop and the unit was designed to be reasonably easily serviced and maintained I might take a punt. At pushing a grand with taxes and no guarantee of future support or access to the server remaining free, not for me. But then I don't think it's pitched at tight, cynical bastards like me anyway

Comment

• graham_hk
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Jan 2013

Untrained technicians (the diver) collecting data in an uncontrolled and inconsistent way with a huge amount of variables that are uncontrolled and unquantified - the data will be useless. Its just a gimmick that someone is exploiting the average diver with

Comment

• Neilwood
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Oct 2015

Originally posted by WFO
                              "The diver then needs to input the depth, immersion time, dive duration, and stops performed in order to allow analysis."

Seems mad that it doesn't need ascent rate data, especially given that most people don't ascend anywhere near the model rates.

Interesting device, wonder when it will get compared publicly with other methods of measurement.

(also getting my popcorn out ready for inevitable rossh based shitfight which seems about as likely as pdf's and bullshit on a ccr thread)
                              I think that ascent rate is as important as stop times/levels in preventing DCS once you get to decent levels of deco. Doesn't really matter if you carry out your stops 100% as per predive plan if you take twice as long (or half as long) as the plan to get to the stop depth as your levels of on/off gassing will be so far out that they bear no relation to the plan. Of course if using a dive computer it will immediately recalculate to take account of this.

I would think that the most relevant metric would be a comparison between predive bubble levels/sizes and post dive as it seems that, from various studies, some people are "bubblers" and others are not so to only look at post dive without a yardstick to measure from seems a bad idea.

Comment

Working...