X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NWdiver
    TDF Member
    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Wibs
    Just spent the last week diving on my new Revo unit and am utterly delighted with it. Love the clean design with a clear front and armoured counter lungs. There’s fully redundant electronics which are not connected in any way, with five cells (3 on the controller, 2 on the Nerd backup). Scrubber usage is amazingly frugal, 1.3kg a fill plus the only accurate scrubber monitoring system that correctly predicts the remaining time. A redundant second scrubber. It is dived with flat trim and has really simple attachment system for the suit inflate and batteries.

The choice was a no-brainer over the other Inspiration-style units. Owning and diving a Revo has just reinforced my choice.
    YES! This has been years in the making... I'll start.

Does it count as a 1.3kg fill if you have two of them?
    Have you figured out the benefit of 5 cells over 3?
    Doesn't any rebreather dive in flat trim if you, you know... dive it in flat trim.

Comment

• jamesp
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by NWdiver

Doesn't any rebreather dive in flat trim if you, you know... dive it in flat trim.
      I can trim the inspo flat, however head slightly up has advantages.

3Kgs on the top of the can worked for me.

Comment

• Wibs
        Established TDF Member
        • Aug 2015

It’s to be dived with ONE scrubber change, you only need to change the second if you’ve exceeded the max dive time for one. So 1.3kg only.

The Revo comes with an accurate and working scrubber monitoring system that tells you the remaining time on the one scrubber — adjusted for gender and weight — and will tell you if you’ve started consuming the second scrubber. The model is accurate and because the second scrubber is monitored it knows if you need to replace both.

So 1.3kg for many hours -- 3+ in cold water. Or two dives on Monday totalling 90+ mins in a freezing cold quarry (with the monitoring system estimating 2h45 left) and 70 mins in the sea the next day with it still estimating 1h55 for the one scrubber or 2h40 for both.

Next, cells. If you’ve only got three how can you tell that TWO haven’t failed or are reading unusually? In this time of acute O2 sensor shortages, aren’t you risking your life on dodgy cells? Having five, three on the controller and two completely independent cells on your independent redundant backup means you can validate your cells in the water and you can move suspected cells to the naughty step on the backup later. Actually had this happen last week where some moisture on a cell coupled with a slow cell meant the controller voted off the working cell. It all warmed up after a while so no problems nor worries.

And trim. I see seahorses with sticky up bailouts. OK it’s a personal thing, but I’ve heard that not all units like being dived flat.

Comment

• NWdiver
          TDF Member
          • Oct 2015

Next, cells. If you’ve only got three how can you tell that TWO haven’t failed or are reading unusually? In this time of acute O2 sensor shortages, aren’t you risking your life on dodgy cells?
          If you've got 5, how can you tell that THREE haven't failed or are reading unusually?

More (possibly conflicting) information is a recipe for disaster imo. With cell issues it's the human factors cock up thats the problem.

With three cells it's abundantly clear if you have an issue. Even the much talked about double current limited scenario. It's also possible to diagnose the issue with three cells.

I could run my unit with 4 cells but it wouldn't provide any benefit over 3. Much like with 5.

Comment

• JonG
            Established TDF Member
            • Apr 2017

How does the stack monitoring system work Wibs?

Comment

• Wibs
              Established TDF Member
              • Aug 2015

If you've got 5, how can you tell that THREE haven't failed or are reading unusually?

More (possibly conflicting) information is a recipe for disaster imo. With cell issues it's the human factors cock up thats the problem.

With three cells it's abundantly clear if you have an issue. Even the much talked about double current limited scenario. It's also possible to diagnose the issue with three cells.

I could run my unit with 4 cells but it wouldn't provide any benefit over 3. Much like with 5.
              Me, as a numpty novice, could clearly see that the weak cell (moved to number one position) was colluding with the second cell and that the other three which had all behaved that week were in agreement.

More importantly though is that you’re happy to dive without redundant cells and electronics. I’m not, so I’m very happy to have three cells on the Petrel controller and two completely separate cells with independent wiring on the backup Nerd.

Comment

• Wibs
                Established TDF Member
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by JonG
                How does the stack monitoring system work Wibs?
                It’s a tempstick.

Actually, it’s way way more sophisticated than that. The scrubbers have four dual temperature probes in the sorb and one below the can which are inductively connected to the receiver. This, in Conjunction with the controller work out the reaction front and estimate the time remaining taking into account the diver's weight and gender. Of course this will change when under work or rest, but this is easily understood with the estimated remaining time on display.

TBH I was really impressed with this tech. Saves a fortune in scrubber and would be invaluable in overhead diving.

Comment

• Woz
                  All hail ZOM
                  • Dec 2012

I run 4 cells. 3 for the Inspo, and the 4th as a spare. Inspo is 123, Nerd is 124. So if one cell craps out, at least I know my spare is working when I drop to 3.
                  There has been at least one fatality of an experienced diver using out of date cells where one deviated and he believed the other 2. Sadly it was the 2 that were faulty together.
                  What's da solution kidz? What should you do with faulty cell readings?
                  I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Comment

• WFO
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

Just spent the last week diving on my new Revo unit and am utterly delighted with it. Love the clean design with a clear front and armoured counter lungs. There’s fully redundant electronics which are not connected in any way, with five cells (3 on the controller, 2 on the Nerd backup). Scrubber usage is amazingly frugal, 1.3kg a fill plus the only accurate scrubber monitoring system that correctly predicts the remaining time. A redundant second scrubber. It is dived with flat trim and has really simple attachment system for the suit inflate and batteries.

The choice was a no-brainer over the other Inspiration-style units. Owning and diving a Revo has just reinforced my choice.
                    Lol so you spent the week on mod 1 learning how to give the manufacturers sales spiel :-P

Comment

• Wibs
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by WFO
                      Lol so you spent the week on mod 1 learning how to give the manufacturers sales spiel :-P
                      Or confirming my beliefs.

Comment

• Paulo
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Dec 2012

Me, as a numpty novice, could clearly see that the weak cell (moved to number one position) was colluding with the second cell and that the other three which had all behaved that week were in agreement.

More importantly though is that you’re happy to dive without redundant cells and electronics. I’m not, so I’m very happy to have three cells on the Petrel controller and two completely separate cells with independent wiring on the backup Nerd.
                        If you moved the cell, you knew it was faulty. Why would you dive with a cell that you knew was faulty?
                        If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• Paulo
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Woz
                          What's da solution kidz? What should you do with faulty cell readings?
                          Isnt that what dil flushes are for?

Comment

• Wibs
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Paulo
                            If you moved the cell, you knew it was faulty. Why would you dive with a cell that you knew was faulty?
                            We all know the answer to that. You can't get new cells at the moment and a Revo has 5 cells to choose from.

Comment

• gobfish1
                              Last of the Mohicans
                              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Paulo
                              Isnt that what dil flushes are for?
                              Ffs don't be a silly c5nt . both diving nerds why make shit simple .
                              None diver as of 2018.

Comment

• Paulo
                                Established TDF Member
                                • Dec 2012

We all know the answer to that. You can't get new cells at the moment and a Revo has 5 cells to choose from.
                                Cutting corners on week 1. This can only go well

Comment

Working...