Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitlow View Post
    Find a club that does lots of diving and is actively training. From where you are Sports Diver is the start and that is a mix of classrooom, pool, and open water. Much of the open water training can be enjoyable dives too and doesn't have to be puddles. I think the Bracknell club probably fits the bill so go see and talk to them.

Do remember diving expereice and a range of conditions is more important than training.

Will do that - BTW I should've done it in the first place!

I know that, if it was a training course of a year, then it could've mean something else, but no one can expect to be an expert after 2 or 3 courses of 4-5 days....

Nevertheless, I’m lucky to travel all around, so will be able to experience a lot of different dive sites and conditions!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFD_DIVER View Post
    I know... but I also stated that I'm not looking to achieve this today, tomorrow or even within the year!

And yes I will have medium term objectives like diving upto 30m safely!
    When you start going past 30m you might want to consider redundancy and a pony cylinder

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitlow View Post
    When you start going past 30m you might want to consider redundancy and a pony cylinder

Again don't think I'm trying to rush everything, but I'm reading a lot, and I do believe that once I get to that level I will opt for a twin set rather than a pony... or using a pony with a twin set if it makes sense!

The objective is not to spend money twice (something that I’ve already did…), even if it means investing considerably more!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    but I'm reading a lot
    It is a better idea to read less and dive more....
    What to do? I only have three bullets and there are four of motley crew...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Again don't think I'm trying to rush everything, but I'm reading a lot, and I do believe that once I get to that level I will opt for a twin set rather than a pony... or using a pony with a twin set if it makes sense!

The objective is not to spend money twice (something that I’ve already did…), even if it means investing considerably more!
    Have you signed up for the Internet Diver Speciality/SDC yet? You are heading that way and it seems you are letting Internet guide your rather than actual experience.

Forget spending money twice, just buy second hand and sell second hand and they will go for what you paid

As for a twinset, you need a twinset when the dive (singular, the dive) requires the amount of gas and reserve gas delivered by a twinset.

Too many people adopt a twinset for the wrong reasons and would actually would be better sticking with a single tank (with optional pony).

If you are doing a two dive day on the boat with max depth 30m, or so, then a single and pony beats a twinset for gas quantity and reserve gas. Do the maths and tell me i'm wrong if you can

BTW, my pony cylinder is now a diluent tank filled with trimix 21./38

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    It is a better idea to read less and dive more....
    I'm just thinking on quiting the job and dive every night...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Out of interest, how much diving have you done?

BTW when you mention courses being 3-4 days, not all of them are. My DM course was 9 months and 3 days long and was in the water 2 days a week every week during that time.

I would say the reason you found the BSAC club reluctant to advance you as quick as you want is down to the fact that you appear to be trying to progress rather quickly compared to how most do it. Experience counts for a lot. Also I dont know where you are diving but 20 quarry dives does not equal 20 dives in the sea with a lot of other factors being thrown at you

enjoy your diving
    Rememeber anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You guys are hilarious.

On one thread, people bemoan the lack of people in diving. On this one, you've got a guy who is clearly loving his diving, and he's being told that he's moving too fast, that he's wasting his money, that he's daft for considering doing a DM, that quarry diving isn't real diving, that he's 'just an internet diver'.

@JFD_DIVER - I was in exactly your position around 2.5 years ago. I started diving with PADI, with an Apeks Quantum, doing a fair bit of quarry diving. Loved it, loved the trips I did to Malta and the Red Sea. Started the DM qualification. 18 months later I'm about halfway through DM - my motivations for doing it just aren't the same as they were at the outset. The reason is that I started technical dive training, and I found that I preferred that to helping out on open water courses.

If you've got the cash to spring for a Petrel, go for it! People bemoan that it's an expensive computer, but diving is an expensive sport. You'll get some snarky comments from people on boats about diving with a single cylinder and a petrel, but fuck em - there's nothing wrong with planning for the future, especially as it's something which will hold its value if you decide to can it later on. As people here repeatedly point out, noone snarks at a Sunday driver with a Maserati, despite the relative cost of that person indulging their hobby being vastly greater than indulging in dive kit.

There's also nothing wrong with reading up on the internet about the hobby you're enjoying so much, and there's a wealth of useful material out there. I found Nigel's rants (http://www.nigelhewitt.co.uk/diving/rant/) incredibly useful when I was starting out, even when I didn't understand all I read - it was a useful discussion point with others.

Annoyed rant over, there are some nuggets of good advice amongst the snark on this thread. Here's my attempt.

1. Dive more, preferably outside of courses. Not because you should be held back from qualifications, but because you may find that unstructured diving outside of a course environment highlights areas of your diving where you need more experience, and more improvement, to feel safe in the water. You can then find the qualifications which will address those concerns.

2. Understand your motivations for thinking about doing the DM. As someone who was in this situation a couple of years back, I know that being a 'DM' sounds glamourous. It's not. If you don't love teaching people, to the extent that you'll overlook slogging around for someone else's business for free, you probably won't enjoy being a UK PADI DM. You may be thinking that it doesn't matter, that it's all about the improvement to your diving, that it's more experience - if you're in that frame of mind, then consider just diving more to get the experience. It'll be less draining.

3. Understand that there's more to diving than the PADI levelling-up hierarchy. If you're inclined towards diving with a twinset, then once you are safely and comfortably diving with a single, look at a course like Mark's intro to tech - http://dive-tech.co.uk/tdi%20courses.htm#intro. He'll very rapidly make you feel less comfortable, and in the process make you an awful lot safer. He'll also give you an accurate appraisal of what you should be doing to progress in diving.

4. (Possibly, the most important part) Find a group of people that are fun to be around. Diving is meant to be fun. You'll be spending vastly more time with these people above the water than below it, and underwater you can't exactly hear them drone on about how awesome they are. So find people that are fun on the surface and that spend time underwater, and you'll be just fine.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and don't want to enrage the masses.
    Last edited by steve; 01-03-2014 at 08:02 AM.

Established TDF Member Rob Dobson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    @Steve - one of the best posts I've read in a long time. Sage words. Have a 'green'!

The artist formerly known as petlowe.... PeterL's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast