Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I need to go diving... Intranicity's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Disabled Diving Groups

Sometimes, the hardest thing is to find a group of like minded individuals to dive with, or who meet your needs/disability/mentality.

Might be worth making a list of organisations that people dive with and have experience of and also instructors who are used to adapting and also resorts/operators who are less able friendly?

I can recommend a few military ones I have experience of/with, hopefully might be of use to others, and hopefully others will add to this list?

First is BEWSA (British Ex Services Wheelchair Sports Association), they started diving in 2000, and are BSAC Branch 2000, great bunch, taught me to dive and do a bi annual diving exped, usually to the Red Sea.

Other group is BLESMA Divers (British Limbless Ex Service Mens Association), also a great bunch of idiots

Both these groups help Serving and Ex Serving to dive, and have no date restrictions on when the injuries occurred.

Hope this helps someone, and that the list grows
    Opinions are like assholes, just some smell more than others!

Master of all Villainy
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    i just dive in a normal branch where they know my issues and have developed ways to work around them at need like they have for other members with certain issues

Gobbie squaddie, average diver timmyg's Avatar
    Barnstaple or Birmingham depending on the day of the week...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Disabled Diving Groups

I'm in the military & our branch do a lot of work with BattleBack. We're now getting some of the guys on instructor courses; so much do that the week before Christmas one of them came out to the Red Sea with me to help teach able bodied divers.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using Timmytalk (hopefully)
    My pages:
    l Website l Blog l YouTube l Vimeo l Facebook l Twitter l Instagram l

I need to go diving... Intranicity's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyg View Post
    I'm in the military & our branch do a lot of work with BattleBack. We're now getting some of the guys on instructor courses; so much do that the week before Christmas one of them came out to the Red Sea with me to help teach able bodied divers.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using Timmytalk (hopefully)
    I'm interested in that route (Helping out and giving back) Just not sure how it works out in respect of HSE, I think? that if it's totally unpaid and you are getting nothing in the way of 'Benefits in Kind', that you can teach/help without an HSE ticket, but not totally sure.

I believe that there are issues with Insurance regarding Battleback (and thus the MoD), that makes it hard for ex military wounded to dive with still Serving wounded in officially organised events, but somehow they need to or would help if they new what options there were once discharged. I was MD'd in '93 after 2 years in and out of Headly Court, we/I was given no info about what organisations were around on the outside, and talking to guys, there still seems to be little info passed on and you have to try and find it yourself. Still, now theres this internet thing that helps lol
    Opinions are like assholes, just some smell more than others!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    To be honest, I'm not totally sure so I would suggest you speak to one of the charities you mentioned; all of my stuff is done through the military. There's still plenty of hoops that need to be jumped through, eg "fit to dive medical for an official Battle Back trip", er surely if he's fit to dive & is qualified why can't he dive in the (military) branch like any other* member. Fit to dive is fir to dive? No?

Good luck.

TG

*all require a medical to dive as on duty
    My pages:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    For those interested in helping those with a military background - you may want to look at DepthTherapy . This is a relatively new organisation, that uses diving as a way to rehabilitate ex-military personnel through diving, .

Not everyone is ex-military, ScubaTrust will work with anyone with a disability or a special kind of need. The disability may be one from birth, or through an accident later in life. We also work with families where one person may have different needs to others, but to give them an opportunity to learn together. ScubaTrust work very closely with the London Diving Chamber, who will advise us on the type of diving a person may do, ie either limit depth, or to a pool, or warm water. If we are told you can be in the water we will get you in there.
    I'm also happy to personally provide advice, and if I don't know the answer I'll put you in touch with someone who does. (I'm a ScubaTrust Trustee and volunteer instructor.)

Many people I've talked to who are part of BSAC do not realise that they have their own disability advisor, so this is another route for those looking for advice.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seastar View Post
    Many people I've talked to who are part of BSAC do not realise that they have their own disability advisor, so this is another route for those looking for advice.
    BSAC also to a diving disability awareness course. It's very good & worth doing for any instructor.

TG
    My pages:

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi I'm a new member, just joined when I saw this thread. I am a BLESMA member (left leg below knee amputee) and have dived with BLESMA in the Red Sea for the last 4 years. Have been a diver for since early 90's and am BSAC DL. All BLESMA diving is aimed at rehabilitation and gives participants PADI quals. An excellent initiative set up by a serving RN diving instructor.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Are there any dive groups or organisations for partially sighted people.

Like a real diver but smaller apparently purple vonny's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by k13eod View Post
    Hi I'm a new member, just joined when I saw this thread. I am a BLESMA member (left leg below knee amputee) and have dived with BLESMA in the Red Sea for the last 4 years. Have been a diver for since early 90's and am BSAC DL. All BLESMA diving is aimed at rehabilitation and gives participants PADI quals. An excellent initiative set up by a serving RN diving instructor.
    I've dived with BLESMA in Portland - what a brilliant bunch of nutters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast