Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Decided to go Twin-Set

Hi all, after several months considering my options for redundancy, i've decided to go twinset.

I'm going the MDE Isolation Manifold route.

I'm on a budget, and managed to get another matching Faber 12L cylinder off ebay really cheap and just had it tested and its past.

I've now picked up another Apeks DS4 1st stage, however although its DIN (as my existing), its the Turret version whereas my other isn't. Does this matter? Having one thats a Turret and the other which isn't?

Obviously it would be nice to have matching equipment on both sides, but as mentioned at the moment i'm on a budget, whereas later on i might be able to get matching equipment on both sides.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Good luck with it..

You'll probably find someone who will be willing to swap a DS4 for your DST - as the DST, once adapted offers a better hose routing.
    Cheers!
    Wilbo
    - Forum Admin.

www.thediveforum.com - invite your friends.. Lets not make this a good forum. Lets make this a great forum!

GiffGaff - a proper unlimited data tariff..

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi Wilbo, that would be great, hadnt thought of or realised that, I would rather swap out the dst for another ds4 as like the shorter body of the ds4 compared with the dst.

I will put a post up on the classifieds and see if there is any interest.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It should be fine. I had a dst on one post and a ds4 on the other until I could afford a second ds4

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    either DS4 or DST is fine. no you don't need matching first stages. have fun, brace your wallet it's a slippery slope you just stepped on

hang on a minute I feel a little precognition coming on. I'll summarise the thread that stretches ahead:

- if you need a twinset you need to do fundies,
    - have you thought this through what about indies?,
    - no you need euro 12's and hogloop
    - BSAC are wankers and wouldn't let CUUEG hogloop,
    - you need two twinsets because you'll get fed up of wasting gas when the deep wreck gets blown out,
    - why can't the skippers give me my money back if the weather is shite,
    - if you need two twinsets you need a rebreather,
    - get an ispo classic and a VR3
    - JJ's the's best rebreather because GUE picked it,
    - no they're just looking at it and what you really need is an inspo,
    - get an OSTC,
    - no get a shearwater,
    - AP cells are crap,
    - should I get a G box?

that's as far as I can see for now, it all goes a bit misty after that...

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    - The Mrs is expecting our first child. All tech kit for sale, what would you recommend keeping for warm water diving?

Established TDF Member Iain Smith's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaCollie View Post
    Hi all, after several months considering my options for redundancy, i've decided to go twinset.

I'm going the MDE Isolation Manifold route.

I'm on a budget, and managed to get another matching Faber 12L cylinder off ebay really cheap and just had it tested and its past.

I've now picked up another Apeks DS4 1st stage, however although its DIN (as my existing), its the Turret version whereas my other isn't. Does this matter? Having one thats a Turret and the other which isn't?

Obviously it would be nice to have matching equipment on both sides, but as mentioned at the moment i'm on a budget, whereas later on i might be able to get matching equipment on both sides.
    As others have noted - you don't need to change anything. Regarding "matching equipment", the DS4 and DS-T have the same internals and are essentially the same first stage, bar the swivel. Having one on each side is a question of aesthetics and (maybe) hose routing (though I've been happily using a pair of DS4s for over a decade).

Iain

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks guys for the replies, at least i now know that i can use them without any problems due to them being essentially the same mechanics just in a different design!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Decided to go Twin-Set

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaCollie View Post
    Hi Wilbo, that would be great, hadnt thought of or realised that, I would rather swap out the dst for another ds4 as like the shorter body of the ds4 compared with the dst.
    I used DS4s on a twinset for hundreds of dives. I now have DSTs (adapted, as Wilbo indicates, with 5th LP port conversions). It really is a much better way of doing things.

I have photos somewhere... but I'm not at my computer. The 5th port means that the wing inflate can come out of the end of the right-hand reg and the backup 2nd stage can come from the end of the left-hand reg. No nasty bends and the hoses reach just that little bit further.

Check out this thread:
    http://www.thediveforum.com/showthre...Routing-Issues

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks Dave, so maybe the better option would be to swap out the ds4 for another dst if I was worried about aesthetics.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast