Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Master divers on koh tao, small groups, well run, instructors know what they are doing. Choice of Padi or ssi, I've done a couple courses with wilco before he moved there and my girlfriend did aow with them a few months ago

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Try http://www.bigbluediving.com/ , Ask for Dave Ashmore.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sambrincat View Post
    I'll look into it - website looks good!!! thanks
    They are too! We've been out diving with them several times now and I'd go again tomorrow (if I could get the time off work!). Very well organised and friendly bunch.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sambrincat View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys - We are looking for a holiday also in a tropical location away from Australia - We live in South Australia so the water is very cold.
    Hmmm, where will you be diving after you have your ticket? If you'll just be doing FNQ, SE Asia etc, then fine but if your intention is to dive in SA, I'd be doing your training there too. If you're doing a course in April, well the Sea Surface Temperature in the Gulf is about 20 degrees C which really isn't cold.

Tropical diving is very, very, very easy, cooler waters, a little bit more difficult due to thicker suits, buoyancy more difficult to control etc. but if that's what you learn in, you'll get used to it very quickly, however the transition from learning in warm water to diving in cold/cool is often difficult.

I'm in the Uni of Tasmania Dive Club and we see lots of this - kiddies come to Uni after the obligatory gap year/SE Asia trip, having done an OW course in Thailand, Indonesia, Viet Nam etc; they join our club with only tropical experience and find themselves in a 7mm wetsuit, 25lbs of lead etc and find life very difficult. If possible, I always encourage these guys to see a local instructor to do some familiarisation/refresher dives to get them to the point where we feel safe to take them diving.

I know from my own experiences on my June/July dive trips to Bali/Thailand that my buoyancy control etc is about rooted after just a week a week or two away.

Anyway, up to you how you do it. Personally, I'd be more inclined to find a good instructor locally in Adelaide (worth asking on here) and then go to Thailand to just diiiive!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12