Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Monitor switch-box advice please

Can some puter literate type please give some basic tips how and what I should look for to set up a monitor switch box?

As the result of a recent office relocation I now have a desktop PC with two monitors, both currently connected via DVI cables. From memory one monitor has VGA and DVI in-ports while the other has DVI and HDMI. The latter is bigger more powerful beast.
    I also have a laptop that is reasonably portable (lenovo T430s) which I sometimes take to work with VGA and HDMImini ports.

I would like to setup a switch-box or similar so when I rock up to the office with my laptop I can plug in easily and then display it on on one or more of the monitors while still having the option to see the desktop display by flicking a switch. Would also be good if I can use the same mouse and keyboard through the switch box to control either the desktop or the laptop.

In my head this sounds reasonable....
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    KVM type switch, making sure that it has suitable connections for your setup.

I have star technolgy ones at work, they work fine. I believe Belkin also do them.

To change between your compters/laptop you either click a button on the switch or hit the scrolllock key a couple of times.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Is it possible for you to plug the laptop in to the network at work? If so, you might consider doing that, and using Remote Desktop Connection to access the machine. No additional hardware required...

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Is it possible for you to plug the laptop in to the network at work? If so, you might consider doing that, and using Remote Desktop Connection to access the machine. No additional hardware required...
    What Steve said. If you can hook it up to your network, Remote Desktop is an altogether more straightforward solution that mucking about with switchboxes.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I run a Lenovo at work and it has a extended desk top option. This allows you to run one of the screens as a separate rather than a copy of the laptop one.

You should be able to set up the docking station to feed off to one of your existing screens. Not so sure on how you'll get the same keyboard without swooping USB cables. If you have the mouse running from the keyboard there is only one to move. You could try running these via the screen USB and see if that works?
    Andy
    www.budediveclub.co.uk
    www.gafirs.org.uk
    If it moves - canoe it, if it doesn't dive it!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    So, if I am understanding correctly you are suggesting I set everything up primarily for my laptop and then software on the desktop can be accessed by remote connection from the laptop. That makes sense but what about days when I don't carry my laptop in but I might wish to get on the desktop? Guess that would mean plugging everything over to the desktop unit?
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    So, if I am understanding correctly you are suggesting I set everything up primarily for my laptop and then software on the desktop can be accessed by remote connection from the laptop. That makes sense but what about days when I don't carry my laptop in but I might wish to get on the desktop? Guess that would mean plugging everything over to the desktop unit?
    Nope. Leave everything plugged into your desktop, as you currently do. On your laptop, enable remote desktop connections, and then use Remote Desktop from your desktop PC to connect to your laptop. You can then view your laptop's display in a window on whichever monitor you choose (and minimise it and maximise it as you would a normal window) - you can also configure the remote desktop session to use either some or all of your monitor's real estate, by adjusting resolution settings. I connect to about a dozen machines around my office using this method, frequently several at a time. Soooper convenient.
    One thing to be aware of is that (as far as I'm aware) Remote Desktop is not available on "Home" versions of Windows - you'd need Professional (XP, Windows 7 etc) upwards. If you're using a Home version of Windows, you can use something like UltraVNC or Teamviewer instead of Remote Desktop.
    Hope that makes sense

EDIT: If your desktop PC's on a Corporate network, all the above might be of no use. Most corporate IT types (me included) have massive shouty stomping fits when people try to connect their home laptops to corporate network infrastructure (for very good security reasons), so you might want to check with your tame IT bod first.
    Last edited by Rob Evans; 26-12-2013 at 10:56 PM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    HDMI mini on laptop to HDMI on monitor, use monitors input select button to swap between the desktop and laptop. either use the laptop's keyboard for the laptop or a seperate keyboard and mouse, other option is a KVM switch which is more expensive.
    HTH
    Simon A
    Last edited by Simon A; 26-12-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I was doing some browsing on fleabay for KVM switches and found a Belkin two port unit (auction no. 251411255859) which the seller had listed as Used:... with cosmetic damage. In the description it was described as EXCELLENT CONDITION, followed by a long copy paste of the specifications followed finally by the line;

No returns item is sold as faulty, not working.
    How intentionally misleading is that, they obviously hoped some poor sap wouldn't read all the way down and bid on it! Annoyingly when I want to bring the listing to ebay's attention their report item function doesn't seem to have a relevant drop down option, the closest I got was inappropriate listing description but then have to choose in a further drop down menu that its due to either profane language or publishing contact details. Clearly it is neither of these and there is no third option.

Anyway, as for using a remote desktop control this could work. Laptop is certainly windows professional and pretty sure the desktop is too. Will speak to the department IT bods when they get back.
    The down side to the remote desktop option is that my work computer is slow to start up (probably needs a some house keeping tidy up). I like the idea of a switch but they seem expensive, especially for DVI output. Still reading up at the moment. I will have a play with duel input to a monitor and then switching on the monitor.