Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1795 of 1815 FirstFirst ... 7951295169517451785179317941795179617971805 ... LastLast
Results 17,941 to 17,950 of 18150
    Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Are you on the old BM? I thought only cheap shit pushbikes had inner tubes.
    No, the BM is tubeless. This was in the Guzzi - it has spokes and mine was the last year that they ran tubes in them. The conversion to tubeless is straightforward as long as the wheels have safety beads which, I am 95% sure, mine have. So I will deflate the tyre and investigate to make 100%.

The first tube had sealant in which slowed the rate of deflation. The second tube didn’t and leaked air so that my pump could get it to around 10psi and no more. On the way home yesterday and today I was regretting not having sealant in the third tube.

I retained the original tyre and it is a tubeless one so it just needs two holes plugging and it will be fine - I have them marked already so I will order in some mushroom plugs and repair the tyre ready for refitting. The new tyre is also tubeless so that can sit in stock for when the original is worn out.

Oh, if anyone is interested the roads in the Dordogne are breathtaking good - up to the second flat I had a run of 250 miles of sweeping curves, villages, cracking views, forests etc. stunning riding to the extent of I am going again next year but having a few days in the area just riding. Plus the roads are in really good condition.
    Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    Yes - when I did big trips on the bike to places where there wasn't any back up thats what I used - even if it fails it controls the leak to a manageable problem. If you go tubeless you can get a (almost certainly completely illegal) tyre fix kit as used throughout the third world but with proper rubber plugs rather than bits of old underpants with which you can fix most punctures without demounting the tyre. Check out offroad suppliers on t'internet
    The tubeless repair kits come in many flavours - I prefer the “worms” used in conjunction with a vulcanising adhesive - get a flat, find the hole, plug the hole with the worm and wait 29 minutes for the adhesive to finish vulcanising it self and you are good to go at a slow pace and as normal the next day. Legal and easily available on good motoring stores near you (so it Halfords).

If the tyre is off then the mushroom plugs are better but they require access to the inside of the tyre.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    No, the BM is tubeless. This was in the Guzzi - it has spokes and mine was the last year that they ran tubes in them. The conversion to tubeless is straightforward as long as the wheels have safety beads which, I am 95% sure, mine have. So I will deflate the tyre and investigate to make 100%.
    Kinda makes you wonder why they didn't make them tubeless from the get go? Is the conversion the same as MTB? You put a tape round the wheel to air seal the rim where the spoke holes are? I have done this on most of my bike wheels now plus latex sealer to finish the job off. It works OK but you do need to replace the latex from time to time as it dries out. The newer MTB rims are air sealed, but most people still use sealant as punctures are a regular feature with off road riding - thorns and the like.

Oh, if anyone is interested the roads in the Dordogne are breathtaking good - up to the second flat I had a run of 250 miles of sweeping curves, villages, cracking views, forests etc. stunning riding to the extent of I am going again next year but having a few days in the area just riding. Plus the roads are in really good condition.
    It is a spectacular place all round. Lots of English people ended up there for that reason. We love the area round Gramat for cave diving and duck eating. There is a huge duck farm somewhere near there and you can buy all sorts of goodies. Never managed to get the bikes down there. Must make the effort. Glad you had a good time.
    There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
    With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Kinda makes you wonder why they didn't make them tubeless from the get go? Is the conversion the same as MTB? You put a tape round the wheel to air seal the rim where the spoke holes are? I have done this on most of my bike wheels now plus latex sealer to finish the job off. It works OK but you do need to replace the latex from time to time as it dries out. The newer MTB rims are air sealed, but most people still use sealant as punctures are a regular feature with off road riding - thorns and the like.
    I know what you mean - the tubeless conversion is done using tape and a sealant - the ones on the motorbike don’t have a reputation of drying out though. The one I am looking at has fibreglass pads over the top of the spoke nipples so that the wheel can have the shoes adjusted later on without destroying the seal - the nipples rotate under the pad. The biggest concern that I had is whether the rim has the safety bead required for tubeless tyres - they do - the bead stops the tyre slipping into the wheel well and rolling off the wheel in case of a rapid depressurisation - it is stunningly rare to have blow outs on tubeless compared to tubed wheels. Tubeless are much easier to repair on the road, what took up 3 days getting sorted out would have been repaired in 30 minutes if it had been a tubeless tyre - on the other hand I had a 3 day extension to my holiday courtesy of the AA.

On the subject of the AA European recovery system - it is probably fine for cars / vans but there was just a recovery and hotel booking system as far as I was concerned - I had to find the solution to the tyre problem. I will use them next year but be under no illusions as to what they can do for me - I could got it sorted out a day earlier if I had been aware of their frailty with bikes.

It is a spectacular place all round. Lots of English people ended up there for that reason. We love the area round Gramat for cave diving and duck eating. There is a huge duck farm somewhere near there and you can buy all sorts of goodies. Never managed to get the bikes down there. Must make the effort. Glad you had a good time.
    There was lots of duck recipes knocking around the restaurants - I may have tried a few of them - but not the foie gras ones.

Oh, ferries - if you are over 60 then you get a 20% discount on the Dieppe - Newhaven route ferry and cabin - but you have to phone up to get the discount - I didn’t know this but the far was still significantly less than I expected at 42 (cabins has sold out) - and around 100 miles further south than Calais. It is a nicer ferry than the huge things going Dover / Calais. I went for the overnight ferry as that gave me an easy trip to get to the ferry and get there in good time plus a 6 hour crossing to get some sleep - the seats were pretty good to sleep in. I wil be using this route both ways next year when I go again.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    On the subject of the AA European recovery system - it is probably fine for cars / vans but there was just a recovery and hotel booking system as far as I was concerned - I had to find the solution to the tyre problem. I will use them next year but be under no illusions as to what they can do for me - I could got it sorted out a day earlier if I had been aware of their frailty with bikes....
    AA stands for Awful Attitude. They are shit for motorbikes. Breakdown insurance is one of the few insurances I buy out of choice, a puncture is a problem on a bike as you found out, in a car there is usually a spare wheel.

I suggest you have a look at ETA. Depending on your needs they are good and all the recovery etc is by contractor. However the big advantage I find is they offer a personal cover that is valid for in the car, van or bike (inc push bike). There is also a couples option for the OH at the same address. European is automatic and no extra. The BMW might cost a bit extra as the limit on bike age is 20 years (why I sold the Triumph). Cost is very good. When the Aprillia caught fire they put us up in a nice hotel in St Malo.

https://www.eta.co.uk/breakdown-cover/
    There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
    With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've just eaten an entire packet of biscuits (as you do), to find a big patch of mould at the bottom. Joy.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    I've just eaten an entire packet of biscuits (as you do), to find a big patch of mould at the bottom. Joy.
    My father (now deceased, although, surprisingly, not from food poisoning) who I'd visit after a three-hour drive - I said I'd get fish-and-chips in the village; he'd lay the table including salt, vinegar, bread and butter, and it was only as I was clearing the table I'd realise he'd carefully selected four slices of bread from an otherwise mouldy loaf.

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    I/2 a patch would've been worse.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st Ade View Post
    My father (now deceased, although, surprisingly, not from food poisoning) who I'd visit after a three-hour drive - I said I'd get fish-and-chips in the village; he'd lay the table including salt, vinegar, bread and butter, and it was only as I was clearing the table I'd realise he'd carefully selected four slices of bread from an otherwise mouldy loaf.
    His "being careful with money" would have been the death of him, had he not ended up in a care home.

After he'd passed away, we found (amongst other things) a box labelled "used batteries" (those from the smoke alarm still had plenty of life for the TV remote, he reckoned) and "odd gloves" - it beats me how anyone had one of a set of two gloves, but he saved them away in case the partner ever turned up.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st Ade View Post
    After he'd passed away, we found (amongst other things) a box labelled "used batteries" (those from the smoke alarm still had plenty of life for the TV remote, he reckoned)
    I do that. I have a tub I sling all my used batteries in until I've got enough to make it worthwhile to make a trip to the tip to recycle them. They are handy for stuff like remotes that don't need a load of power and must admit I've fished about in it to find one with enough juice for my rebreather more than once when the batteries have died.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England