X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Noggin the Nog
    Hail the Children of LLyr
    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by steelemonkey
    I only use the camper for camping and always park up on private land. It is warm and comfy, I don't have to see or hear other people, I am not dictated to by restaurant times, I can cook quite sophisticated meals if I wish.
    What's not to like?
    FB just reminded us that we have had our T4 over 9 years now. I'm loathe to say much more in case I jinx it but it's served us well as a dive bus, kayak carrier, changing room, day van, wildlife watching "hide", somewhere to take a break & brew up some hot chocolate so, yeah, what's not to like?
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Comment

• cazyoung
      I still don't have a member
      • Dec 2012

One of the things we plan to do when we retire is to go to the USA and do a massive road trip in a decent size motorhome. That plan will be on hold until Trump goes. We might do the same around Europe at some point. The only downside is that I might have to be the one that drives a decent sized wagon as OH refuses to even have a go at driving 7.5t horsebox reason - he absolutely cannot get the hang of reversing using wing mirrors
      A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
      I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Comment

• barnaby_s
        Established TDF Member
        • May 2017

What about fitting a reversing camera and screen in the horsebox, that would give a better view then they are used to getting from an interior mirror?

Comment

• cazyoung
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by barnaby_s
          What about fitting a reversing camera and screen in the horsebox, that would give a better view then they are used to getting from an interior mirror?
          Does not bother me as I can drive the thing. He cannot use interior mirror to reverse his car he has to do the screwing round in seat to look out the rear window/stick head out of window thing. Basically he cannot reverse it always takes a lot of backwards and forwards to get the car in the right place. Reversing into a kerbside space is a bit of a no go as well.

Comment

• Doomanic
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

There's loads of folk on the cycling forums doing camper conversions, but every time I start to look into it I get to about 30 grand and give up before it's anywhere close to being the spec I want.

I did price up a new Sprinter, just for the giggles, and it came to £68k just for the van... :omg:
            Originally posted by Chrisch
            Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Comment

• Noggin the Nog
              • Jan 2013

It's end of season, folks.

Used campers will be the cheapest they're going to be.

(We bought ours at "Busfreeze")

Comment

• Neilwood
                Established TDF Member
                • Oct 2015

Originally posted by cazyoung
                One of the things we plan to do when we retire is to go to the USA and do a massive road trip in a decent size motorhome. That plan will be on hold until Trump goes. We might do the same around Europe at some point. The only downside is that I might have to be the one that drives a decent sized wagon as OH refuses to even have a go at driving 7.5t horsebox reason - he absolutely cannot get the hang of reversing using wing mirrors
                What do you class as decent size? Van size? Double decker bus size with slide outs? Or one with a car beneath the living space. If you can drive a horsebox here, an RV will be no problem there.

We hired a 6 berth motor home (based on a ford pickup) and toured Arizona for 3 weeks. Ended up staying beside RV's with less beds than ours but were twice the length. TBH though size really isn't an issue on most American roads (they are a lot wider and straighter than ours). The only time I had any issue at all was one of the roads into Sedona where it was a series of switchbacks- it was easily manageable with a bt of care as to when to make a turn,

Comment

• Firefly
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Nov 2013

HP Printer - No drivers available!

So I need a new printer and go shopping ending up choosing an HP LaserJet Pro MFP M28w . . . . . . Running through the set up and kept getting this

After some time I managed to get a phone number for HP which this morning I rang only to be told that as yet there are no drivers available for that model to run on macOSCatalina and I should wait for Apple to roll out a new version and it will work . . . . . .

Comment

• Moleshome
                    TDF Member
                    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Firefly
                    So I need a new printer and go shopping ending up choosing an HP LaserJet Pro MFP M28w . . . . . . Running through the set up and kept getting this

After some time I managed to get a phone number for HP which this morning I rang only to be told that as yet there are no drivers available for that model to run on macOSCatalina and I should wait for Apple to roll out a new version and it will work . . . . . .
                    Not what HP's web page says.

Comment

• Noggin the Nog
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by cazyoung
                      Does not bother me as I can drive the thing. He cannot use interior mirror to reverse his car he has to do the screwing round in seat to look out the rear window/stick head out of window thing. Basically he cannot reverse it always takes a lot of backwards and forwards to get the car in the right place. Reversing into a kerbside space is a bit of a no go as well.
                      A good tip I was given is that you should just be able to see the bottom of the rear nearside corner of the vehicle (or even the ground directly underneath it) in the bottom right hand corner of the nearside wing mirror. (Got that? It does make sense, I think). This gives you a good reference when reversing and also enables you too see how close to the kerb you are. I think this is why, on Vw T4s and the like, that the nearside mirror is taller than it is wide.

btw: those little stick on convex mirrors (the type that can be adjusted by a 360 degree rotating bezel) are also helpful for vehicles with no rear view.

Comment

• Firefly
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Moleshome
                        Yes I saw that however the HP tech employee clearly said they are not yet compatible.

Anyway the printer has now been returned, one of the staff was skeptical until she looked into the issue and it would appear there are plenty experiencing the problem after that a refund quickly followed.

The reason I went for a HP was I have one in Ireland and am very happy with it, shame really as now I'm forced to shopping for different make.

Comment

• barnaby_s
                          Established TDF Member
                          • May 2017

I am a big fan of the Brother laser printers, so would recommend having a look to find the equivalent of the HP

Comment

• Divemouse
                            Pedantic Pig
                            • Dec 2012

Had the cat murdered today - he'd suddenly gone downhill, wouldn't eat and was breathing badly. Turns out he had heart problems leading to fluid in his lungs as the vet very patronisingly explained to me after I'd told him what it was. Tried him with the usual magic bullet of steroids overnight, but it made no difference. Saw a different vet today and she gave him the drug straight into his abdomen while bravely distracting the front end with her own fingers. He didn't even notice the needle going in and was convinced we were getting back into the car for another fun drive right up until the moment he fell over and went to sleep. Not a bad way to go.
                            Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Comment

• Jen - Winged Blob
                              Supergnu
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Divemouse
                              Had the cat murdered today - he'd suddenly gone downhill, wouldn't eat and was breathing badly. Turns out he had heart problems leading to fluid in his lungs as the vet very patronisingly explained to me after I'd told him what it was. Tried him with the usual magic bullet of steroids overnight, but it made no difference. Saw a different vet today and she gave him the drug straight into his abdomen while bravely distracting the front end with her own fingers. He didn't even notice the needle going in and was convinced we were getting back into the car for another fun drive right up until the moment he fell over and went to sleep. Not a bad way to go.
                              Sorry to hear that - the end of an era there. But good that you could make the end easier for him. x

Comment

• cazyoung
                                • Dec 2012

When it is time it is time and I strongly believe in quality over quantity. At least he was unaware of the needle.

Comment

Working...