Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1393 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 39389312931343138313911392139313941395 ... LastLast
Results 13,921 to 13,930 of 13993
  1. #13921
    Pedantic Pig Divemouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    4,460
    Likes (Given)
    6068
    Likes (Received)
    2900
    I've been stupidly looking up random bands from my youth on Wikipedia - it's quite distressing how old and fat we've all become.
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

  2. #13922
    Prior Member Tim Digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    West Midlands UK
    Posts
    3,871
    Likes (Given)
    2489
    Likes (Received)
    2876
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    I've been stupidly looking up random bands from my youth on Wikipedia - it's quite distressing how old and fat we've all become.
    It's the cats!
    But they say people look like their dogs. Get a whippet!
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

  3. #13923
    Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Too far from the sea!
    Posts
    8,962
    Likes (Given)
    2458
    Likes (Received)
    5246
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    I've been stupidly looking up random bands from my youth on Wikipedia - it's quite distressing how old and fat we've all become.
    I thought Mozart, Brahms and Beethoven were all dead now.
    Seriously though, I know exactly what you mean. The radio says something like "And --------- are celebrating their 50th anniversary." And I think, no way, I saw them at the Hammersmith Odeon only err, 45 years ago..................
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

  4. #13924
    Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Belper
    Posts
    2,564
    Likes (Given)
    1853
    Likes (Received)
    1382
    A friend has a “bobber” style motorcycle based on a CX400 - yes, 400 - and he cannot get it started so he asked me to pop over to see if there was anything obvious wrong. It is his first motorbike since passing his test.

    The problem is that there is no spark, plenty of fuel and air but no spark renders that irrelevant at this point. Going over it there area few other issues that will attract attention from the boys in blue. Firstly, the brake light don’t work for either the front or rear brakes. Secondly, the exhaust is straight through - it may sound great but it won’t make him popular with he neighbours or police. Quite how it got it’s MoT worries me - clearly they didn’t stick to the rules as the front brake light has never worked apparently (actually connecting the brake switch from the handlebars would be a great start). The rear brake switch has died as it is the wrong spring and the one fitted has stretched so no longer activates the switch.

    The bike was modified by my friend’s brother who, whilst designing a nice looking bike (if you like that sort of thing) may have a great idea about aesthetics - a great example of style over substance, has no idea about making a bike that functions well. The list of things that my friend has had to d include fitting a new engine and gearbox (a real CX500 lump), cleaning and sealing the inside of the petrol tank (the crap coming out of the tank before caused the carbs to block and fail) and fitting a new rear light and indicator combination - amongst other things.

    He is now going to sell the bike whilst it has an MoT, once he has sorted out the brake lights and get it running. then the only thing that the new owner will have to address is the exhaust....
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

    Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

  5. #13925
    Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Guernsey
    Posts
    6,746
    Likes (Given)
    4292
    Likes (Received)
    5229
    Fiddlers, particularly the ones that come on my boat, then alter the fenders, plotter, shot line, mooring lines etc.

    I have spent many years setting up, adjusting and evolving my boat bits, very annoying when I find everything changed without asking and having to spend time at the end of a dive trip changing everything back to what I know works.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

  6. #13926
    Pedantic Pig Divemouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    4,460
    Likes (Given)
    6068
    Likes (Received)
    2900
    Getting up at 5 to get the cattery done early so I can go diving only to discover it's still dark!
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

  7. #13927
    Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Too far from the sea!
    Posts
    8,962
    Likes (Given)
    2458
    Likes (Received)
    5246
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Guernsey View Post
    Fiddlers, particularly the ones that come on my boat, then alter the fenders, plotter, shot line, mooring lines etc.

    I have spent many years setting up, adjusting and evolving my boat bits, very annoying when I find everything changed without asking and having to spend time at the end of a dive trip changing everything back to what I know works.
    I make it a rule to leave well alone unless I am asked to do something. Even then, I notice the skipper will re-do my knots and lines when he gets the chance. The boat is as personal as his underwear.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

  8. #13928
    Established TDF Member Chrisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    7,476
    Likes (Given)
    706
    Likes (Received)
    3212
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    ...
    He is now going to sell the bike whilst it has an MoT, once he has sorted out the brake lights and get it running. then the only thing that the new owner will have to address is the exhaust....
    Not sure how you stand as a private person but it is a criminal offence for a dealer to sell a bike with an illegal exhaust. This feature of the Harley boys and race can fans is about to get hammered with the introduction of noise cameras. Vehicles passing a noise camera will have the reg recorded together with the decibel rating. A fixed penalty will follow in the post.

    Whilst I know many of my fellow motorcyclists will be upset by this my view is bring it on. In particular the 'merican vee twin twats who think a chrome plated scaffold pipe is a suitable exhaust for their comedy transport. I had one pull away at the lights a few weeks back and I thought it would break the side windows in the van. Its knobheads like that who have persuaded the legislators to gradually strangle bikes with super quiet exhausts. If I were in charge anything like that would be impounded and crushed rather than a fine or other nonsense.

    Sounds like the one you have there Jay needs the same treatment

  9. #13929
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    1,881
    Likes (Given)
    653
    Likes (Received)
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Not sure how you stand as a private person but it is a criminal offence for a dealer to sell a bike with an illegal exhaust. This feature of the Harley boys and race can fans is about to get hammered with the introduction of noise cameras. Vehicles passing a noise camera will have the reg recorded together with the decibel rating. A fixed penalty will follow in the post.

    Whilst I know many of my fellow motorcyclists will be upset by this my view is bring it on. In particular the 'merican vee twin twats who think a chrome plated scaffold pipe is a suitable exhaust for their comedy transport. I had one pull away at the lights a few weeks back and I thought it would break the side windows in the van. Its knobheads like that who have persuaded the legislators to gradually strangle bikes with super quiet exhausts. If I were in charge anything like that would be impounded and crushed rather than a fine or other nonsense.

    Sounds like the one you have there Jay needs the same treatment
    I sincerely hope one is installed on the main road outside my area. Due to it's nature of being a road that joins the town with certain distributor roads, it is often used by the local problem children in their Corsa with 4" exhaust pipes and some of the faster motors such as scoobies as a drag strip. Having and more importantly enforcing a noise cap might actually sort some of them out.

  10. #13930
    Established TDF Member Chrisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    7,476
    Likes (Given)
    706
    Likes (Received)
    3212
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    ... enforcing a noise cap might actually sort some of them out.
    You can hope I suppose...


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •