Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1543 of 1547 FirstFirst ... 543104314431493153315411542154315441545 ... LastLast
Results 15,421 to 15,430 of 15461
    Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    Not until it can slice the loaf and insert the bread into itself. The toasters I really like (having owned a number of different ones) are the ones in hotels that rotate over a set time and spit toast out of the bottom after receiving it in the top slot. Don't know why, something reassuringly primitive about them! Only bettered by a stick and an open fire.
    We stayed at a posh hotel for the In laws anniversary. The only thing that wasn't posh was the DIY breakfast which was all you got if you didn't pay the 25 quid extra for egg on toast. Alongside the chain link toaster was a tray of breads and, next to that, individually sliced, fruit loaf type stuff. I tried to toast a couple of these, they got stuck at the back of the conveyor and burst into flame. Oops.

The first and only time I've ever used one of those toasters. They just cause confusion. Someone puts their bread in and goes off to get some bacon and eggs. Along comes someone else who puts bread in and is highly delighted that it pops out straight away, only to be accosted by diner No.1 who accuses him of stealing his toast.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Apparently checking the tyre pressures of SWMBO's car is a man's job. She went off to Gosport yesterday - sorry for the residents there, I forgot to issue a dragon warning - and did her tyres, oil and water. The tyres were all at least 6psi low - sufficient that she could have received 3 points for each one - her car doesn't have a nag system for tyre pressures sadly.

To date I haven't found a woman's job. Other than child birth - I get cross about the man's job thing until I think about the child birth part.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's not a man's job, it just isn't a pathetic girl's job which is why my brother pays someone to do it for him.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not until it can slice the loaf and insert the bread into itself. The toasters I really like (having owned a number of different ones) are the ones in hotels that rotate over a set time and spit toast out of the bottom after receiving it in the top slot. Don't know why, something reassuringly primitive about them! Only bettered by a stick and an open fire.
    A couple of years ago I was camping with the junior section of the lifeguard club. One evening we had a fire pit and they were amazed that I was able to produce toast with slices of bread and a BBQ fork. Kids these days

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There used to be some French ones (Moulinex?) that consisted of a central element like an old-fashioned electric fire, but mounted vertically. Around this were 4 wire cages into which you inserted your slices of bread, the cages were cunningly hinged so when you turned the knob on the top (when your toast had achieved the desired level of done-ness) it turned the cages which caused them to flip around presenting the other side of the bread to the heat. It was entirely manual and looked like it had been designed by Wallace & Grommit - only the French! Last one of those I saw was 30 years ago on a breakfast table in Africa somewhere - you can probably still find them in brocante in rural France.

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Scam callers calling on mobile phone numbers when you're waiting for various calls from hospitals, one for the MIL, one for the FIL, from the district nurse, and care assistants. My responses have stopped being anything like polite.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    Scam callers calling on mobile phone numbers when you're waiting for various calls from hospitals, one for the MIL, one for the FIL, from the district nurse, and care assistants. My responses have stopped being anything like polite.
    I had one from the HMRC got huffy with me just because after having spelt my name as a random string of vaguely pronoucable letters, double checked the spelling of his name, Richard, I asked if it was OK if I called him "Dick". He called me a mother___er and hung up!
    Now i'm worried because they haven't called me back, but they said there was a warrant out for my arrest. Still, they'll never take me alive, Ernie!

Ooh, there's an idea for the next one - when they say I'll be arrested, I'll tell them "everybody and their mums is packing heat around here" and "you'll never take me alive, copper!"
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    It's not a man's job, it just isn't a pathetic girl's job which is why my brother pays someone to do it for him.
    He pays someone to have babies?
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine French critic and historian (1828-93)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    He did try that, it didn't work out. Luckily.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    He did try that, it didn't work out. Luckily.
    Are any of your relatives normal?
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.