Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1534 of 1547 FirstFirst ... 5341034143414841524153215331534153515361544 ... LastLast
Results 15,331 to 15,340 of 15461
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Good. It was not the case 20+ years ago. A wasted opportunity.
    Actually, it was Remember the old mercury one2one network? Their figure 8 backbone fibre was run in trackside troughs.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    One odd thing about the rail industry was that it had its own telephony system which I am pretty sure was capable of transferring calls to wherever on the network we wanted to - certainly no issue transferring within the local area.
    This is like a blast from the past I used to work for BR's comms arm, both before and after its transition to BRT. Then I hopped ship to Railtrack, which was an interesting insight.

The railway had multiple comms networks, including the worlds largest DPNSS private network (based on a dogs dinner mix of PBX's from Mitel, Atea, Siemens, GPT etc etc), which meant they could dial across the UK quite happily and even link calls through some of the radio networks (ORN/NRN/CSR at the time). They 'modernised' a while back as part of network rail to use AXE10's with MD110's..... I've no idea what they're on now.

They've swapped out most of the radio networks now for their own private GSM. There used to be drive to use that for radio based signalling for trains, but I dont know if they ever got that off the ground.

Anyway, the biggest problem was always too many management layers and too many disparate systems. Privatisation fixed some of this, but also introduced other problems......
    Last edited by ebt; 22-03-2021 at 09:18 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I did the loudest fart of my life while talking to the chickens yesterday, only to look up and see our extremely posh neighbour and her child walking by on the other side of the hedge. Still horror stricken now.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    I did the loudest fart of my life while talking to the chickens yesterday, only to look up and see our extremely posh neighbour and her child walking by on the other side of the hedge. Still horror stricken now.
    Blame it on the chickens. Or had they all passed out?
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ebt View Post
    Actually, it was Remember the old mercury one2one network? Their figure 8 backbone fibre was run in trackside troughs.
    Maybe I should have said further back. I've just realised how recent 20 years ago is.
    Mah Nà Mah Nà

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I know that it's toilet humour at it's lowest, but I have grandchildren in Australia who refer to me as "Granddad Pump" - I'm sure there must be a reasonable explanation.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    I have spent 4 hours thus far with the bastard Win10 balls up that has goosed our Kyocera. The latest Win10 upgrade has reintroduced the old fashioned blue screen of death (ahhh.. nostalgia)

At the same time some sort of balls up has seen the .NET upgrade make the office package balls up Sage 50. I have uninstalled Libre office and MS Office 2010 and uninstalled and reinstalled Sage twice.

No one is available to come out to look at any PC as we are in the covid lockdown so I am doing this myself which is annoying.

The "patch" (aka fuckup) would not download and install so you have to do that manually. So far only the rolled back PC works with the printer and the upgrades are "on hold". Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Bastard Microsoft. Why did you mention printers Monkey?
    Have a look at
    www.snipca.com/37650
    and
    www.snipca.com/37651

which apparently explain the solution. I haven't checked - just read an article referring to the problem.

Established TDF Member Ron MacRae's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Bloody printers. Mine won't recognise a cartridge. I will admit that it is not own brand, but I have been using these for years, ever since I bought the thing. Tried two new ones and it still won't play ball.
    Me too. I think HP have smartened up the software to reject non-HP cartridges.

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We are out of lockdown today, so took the day off work to go diving.

The sun is shining, the sea is mirror smooth and a neap tide. Unfortunately I rolled my ankle walking the dogs yesterday so stuck at home feeling miserable.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Back in the good old days when there was still time for coffee in ITU and I was working. Someone pinned up a newspaper cutting about a JCB that was excavating something and hit a gas main! Headline, "Digger releases 50,000 cu ft of gas." It was not inappropriate but certainly didn't stop me. Freedom for gas! is my slogan.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger