Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1629 of 1630 FirstFirst ... 62911291529157916191627162816291630 LastLast
Results 16,281 to 16,290 of 16295
    Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    We were talking about this on our walk this morning - do the dickheads that pay thousands for these shooting days have to have a licence or any training, or is that why they all have a minder to load and hand the gun to them?
    As far as a I know they don't require any training. I know deer stalking outfits usually do a test of competency on new customers before taking anyone out, don't know if that's the case on pheasant shoots. Deer stalking seems a bit more organised though. My old neighbour was a gamekeeper, he was of the opinion that the minders were there to stop the guns sweeping each other with the muzzle and accidentally shooting a chartered surveyor or stockbroker rather than a bird. Some might say that wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm sure there's an element of playing at having a servant for a few hours too.
    Last edited by notdeadyet; 07-01-2022 at 02:03 PM.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    You always needed a reason to shoot them as I understood it under the old general licence. April 2019 if I remember right when the general licence went, I got rid of my last air-rifle in Jan 2019. Where I used to shoot had permission from the farmer, my house backed on to one of his fields. The woodpigeon were fans of his brocolli. The neighbours still whinged, though.

I get deer out the back regularly.
    That would probably have me looking at crossbows.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I was somewhat amused when I was in New England to hear it announced that it was the start of the turkey shooting season. Who needs a gun for heavens sake - you could just run after them and grab them. Then I realised that given the size of many 'muricans, they wouldn't be capable of running.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    That would probably have me looking at crossbows.
    I have a bow, but bow hunting is illegal here. Hugely popular in the US, though. A lot of good arguments for and against bow-hunting. I shoot a heavy'ish recurve and wouldn't have any doubts about its lethality with a broadhead but equally the weight makes it harder to aim so I wouldn't like to guarantee accuracy for a humane kill. I suppose that's why most Americans shoot compounds.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    I was somewhat amused when I was in New England to hear it announced that it was the start of the turkey shooting season. Who needs a gun for heavens sake - you could just run after them and grab them. Then I realised that given the size of many 'muricans, they wouldn't be capable of running.
    It surprised me to learn that there were different seasons depending on what you were using. Bow & arrow, muzzle loader, firearms. Some of the guys I knew would spend all day up a tree with their bow and arrow.

Did you ever visit dicks sporting goods and see what they sold for hunting? A different world.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have a bow, but bow hunting is illegal here. Hugely popular in the US, though. A lot of good arguments for and against bow-hunting. I shoot a heavy'ish recurve and wouldn't have any doubts about its lethality with a broadhead but equally the weight makes it harder to aim so I wouldn't like to guarantee accuracy for a humane kill. I suppose that's why most Americans shoot compounds.
    Sorry, did I say that out loud?

I meant a bigger freezer, honest!

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I get deer out the back regularly.
    Have you seen a doctor?
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine French critic and historian (1828-93)

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A motorcycling forum I occasionally read has just been taken over by Vertical Scope - I guess that means that my other motorcycling forum is about to get inundated by escapees from the "victim" forum.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    A motorcycling forum I occasionally read has just been taken over by Vertical Scope - I guess that means that my other motorcycling forum is about to get inundated by escapees from the "victim" forum.
    Is it a general forum or manufacturer specific?
    I'll think of something witty some time soon.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The forum is ADVrider.com - based around adventure motorcycling so not specific to any make - predominantly a US based forum. I just wonder what the inmates (as they are called) will make of it a few weeks down the line. ATEOTD Vertical Scope will have only themselves to blame if their actions cause the footfall to drop. Hopefully, they will have learnt their lesson from The Other Place but it would appear that it seems to be a modus operandi for them as others have already made noises in regard to other forum.

Still there are already places for the inmates to escape to that are, IMHO, far better than their current place of incarceration - however they do have the newly acquired forum has a section called “Church, State and Money” where it is like the Play Pen here on a very bad / bouncy day but apparently without the threat of moderation. That sort of behaviour would not go down well on Horizons Unlimited (my preferred m/c forum) - but it would be meat and drink to the Beakchat and Bollox section of UKGSER.com - where some of the language etc is “fruity”.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info