Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1691 of 1695 FirstFirst ... 691119115911641168116891690169116921693 ... LastLast
Results 16,901 to 16,910 of 16946
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    I did nearly 700 miles in a day once, on a TZR250.
    Over 14 hours actual riding.
    i am guessing numb bum afterwards?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    Soaked to the skin, numb all over.
    280miles the following day.

Worst bit was hitting reserve in the Highlands at 8pm on a Bank holiday Sunday; after the third closed petrol station, I was getting worried.
    Only reason anyone has ever been glad to see Aviemore.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Worst bit was hitting reserve in the Highlands at 8pm on a Bank holiday Sunday; after the third closed petrol station, I was getting worried.
    I once spent the night at a petrol station - put the tent on a bit of "lawn". It was the bumhole end of northern France and my inglish credit card would not work in the poxy French autovend. On the way to the Le Mans 24h. A couple of years later we met up with some London based bikers at the Bol in Bandol. They rented a van and put their bikes in the van, shared the drive to the south, then took the bikes out to ride round and slept in the van. Now why didn't I think of that?
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reminds me of my despatch riding days with Pony Express. And before you b'stads take the p!ss, it was the name of a courier company in north London in the 70's.

1970's!
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My problem was always my wrists giving up after 8 hours plus (which may explain why my drysuit seals make my fingers go numb 30 years later if I dont take it off between dives)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

When I was Uni, a friend loaned me his Mini pickup to drive home to Newcastle from Bristol. I had to drop someone else off in Blackburn and made my way over the A66. Unfortunately, there was flooding and I got diverted and there were no filling stations en-route. I ran out of petrol completely and managed to coast down a slight incline into a filling station at 5.59PM - they shut at 6.00PM! My parents didn't even have a phone in those days (it was too expensive) and my mother would have been panicking if I hadn't made it home that evening.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ahh the days before the ubiquitous oil industry! For decades the Isle of Skye has been my grail. The first time I went 1969 I remember refuelling at a hand pumper pump s0omewhere near Spean Bridge . I later ran out (almost ) of diesel just before Rannoch Moor and spent the night under the bridge at Tyndrum until at 0530 the man in charge said if we had cash we could fill up but he was not firing up the card machine, it cost him money in those days.
    Over the years I have always been careful to fill up as often as possible on the Scottish west coast.
    Until walking the Cape Wrath trail I was sure there was a station at the bottom of Glen Shiel. It's Closed. The inability to fill the petrol stove without a significant deviation was a contributory factor in the decision to head for Inverness via the bus stop at the corner. So I still need to do the middle part of the Cape Wrath Trail.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    its very tempting with the all day comfort sounding good. The last road bike I had was a Bonneville, so I can see exuberance overcoming ability with that bike. Had a walk round to Wheels a few months ago to have a good oggle.

At Capital Moto Week there was a Ducati stand. Mrs MarkA liked them but considered them way too expensive, especially the V4. At the honda stand she liked the CB500X, so maybe something like that? Both neighbours have Tiger 1200's. Maybe I can push for a Tiger 660 or a second hand 800.

Mrs MarkA doesn't ride but likes the idea of some touring with the neighbours and their wives. Maybe its the dressing up in leather?
    This is why the Aprilia is awesome. OK this has a shorty SC exhaust on it but even the standard one sounds amazing. If you can get one with an Akra exhaust and ECU map they sound unbelievable to the point where I get thumbs up from pedestrians. Consistently voted the best supernaked for the past decade and the 2021 current model with active suspension and updated fancy pants electronics is apparently superb.

https://fb.watch/eQvF9GtV9I/

Before buying mine I test rode a BMW S1000R, a KTM Superduke 1290R and a Ducati Monster 1200S. My conclusion was as follows:
    The BMW was like a 60 year old German hooker. Does the job efficiently and quickly. But you may as well have painted it beige- it has zero character and the wonky Clarence the boz eyed dragon look is plain ugly, as is the paint.
    The Ducati was like the Italian girlfriend. Great looking and everyone wants a ride. But when you're in the saddle, a bit disappointing, saggy in the corners and expensive to maintain.
    The KTM was very raw. Chassis was unrefined, the handling wasn't great and the engine was brutal. Like walking into an Amsterdam brothel, throwing €1000 onto a table and saying "surprise me". Plus that "face" is dreadful, and KTM reliability and build quality is legendarily shite.
    The Aprilia isn't as good looking as the Ducati, or as mental as the KTM, but handles so perfectly and the engine is so far ahead of the other 3 that it was, without a shadow of a doubt, the best pick of the bunch. They've now updated the looks and I think looks prettier than the Duc, especially in the "dark" colour scheme. So the one I settled down with...

What I've also found post purchase is the Aprilia community is really friendly, mad keen to help others and reminds me of YD back when it was good.

Nip to Wheels and grab a test ride. You won't be disappointed. Oh and the non-Factory version is designed for the discerning tourer. Same engine and electronics, but Sachs bouncy bits (which are still bloody good) and a pillion seat that doesn't saw you in half through your crotch. The intelligent money buys the non-Factory then puts KTech internals in the forks and a new rear shock- apparently for track days this is a killer combo and better than the electronic suspension!
    Last edited by Woz; 11-08-2022 at 09:25 AM.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I like the Tuono which is a Mille with a different shirt on. Both have the 4 pot Rotax. I used to own a Futura which is an armchair touring bike but had the twin Rotax litre unit. It (Futura) was a very nice machine - cycle parts - but the twin was crap. The four cylinder motor is smooth and the twin lumpy. The electronics on mine were beyond shit and it caught fire in France and had to come home on a truck. Thankfully Aprillia have moved on a bit since then but they still assemble a lot of stuff from other manufacturers.

Not a bad choice though. Clearly Woz spending too much time in dubious places judging by his choice of analogy
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I wish you will all stop talking about bikes. I had just got over my usual summertime urge to buy one and you have got me going again.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.