Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1696 of 1713 FirstFirst ... 6961196159616461686169416951696169716981706 ... LastLast
Results 16,951 to 16,960 of 17126
    Established TDF Member nigel hewitt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    <head banging>
    I just discovered that this funny python programming language I suddenly need to fix something in has a serious GOTCHA for an old C/C++ buffer like me
    An assignment does not return a value
    But they fixed it
    Use := rather than = and you get a value
    It took me an hour and a half of looking at 'obviously' good code that just wouldn't compile but gave incomprehensible error messages to discover that goodie

When something out obscures PowerShell you have to be impressed
    </head>
    Helium, because I'm worth it.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel hewitt View Post
    <head banging>
    I just discovered that this funny python programming language I suddenly need to fix something in has a serious GOTCHA for an old C/C++ buffer like me
    But they fixed it
    It took me an hour and a half of looking at 'obviously' good code that just wouldn't compile but gave incomprehensible error messages to discover that goodie

</head>
    Nope. Did not understand any part of that. How about posting a picture of your lovely lady instead.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member nigel hewitt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Nope. Did not understand any part of that. How about posting a picture of your lovely lady instead.
    Let her scritch out the last few white tufts and she'll be all pretty again.
    It's been a bad moult this year.
    Helium, because I'm worth it.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Established TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    <head banging>
    But they fixed it

</head>
    Some how I had missed that PowerShell was case sensitive in the headers in CSV files that it reads, spent about an hour yesterday trying to work out why a relatively simple (has to be if I wrote it) script wasn't working before I noticed that in PS I had used "contacts" and had "Contacts" in the CSV file.
    The PS commands and filenames aren't case sensitive.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by barnaby_s View Post
    Some how I had missed that PowerShell was case sensitive in the headers in CSV files that it reads, spent about an hour yesterday trying to work out why a relatively simple (has to be if I wrote it) script wasn't working before I noticed that in PS I had used "contacts" and had "Contacts" in the CSV file.
    The PS commands and filenames aren't case sensitive.
    As a default PS is generally case insensitive for operators like -eq -match etc unless you explicitly force it otherwise with a leading c (a leading i explicitly makes it insensitive if you want to) - for example -ceq is a case sensitive comparison

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Let her scritch out the last few white tufts and she'll be all pretty again.
    It's been a bad moult this year.
    She is always pretty.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I woke up very suddenly this morning to find the umbrella plant in the bedroom had a crisis of confidence and folded one of its stems, dropping something that felt very much like an 8 inch face hugger onto me.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    1st world problems: I have a Waitrose order coming this morning and they've just informed me that they've swapped my own brand breakfast cereal for one that costs twice as much, so although they're 'honouring' the price, I get half as much breakfast. They are completely unable to find a replacement for 40 sachets of cat food that were with a coupon for 4.50 off though, even though they have the exact same ones in a variety of packet sizes and other brands in the 40 size.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    I woke up very suddenly this morning to find the umbrella plant in the bedroom had a crisis of confidence and folded one of its stems, dropping something that felt very much like an 8 inch face hugger onto me.
    Looked the plant up on Google, but mystefied by your description.....what are you saying missus!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    https://hayloft.co.uk/product/cyperu...caAihVEALw_wcB
    Imagine this one on a chest of drawers that's 4 ft high. The plant is also up to 4ft high so the heads mostly sit up at ceiling level. One stalk suddenly bends near the base during the night and the grasping fingers of the head fit really nicely and suddenly around my face. Levitating from the bed just causes them to grip more firmly. The head and a few of its friends are now sitting upside down in a glass of water considering their life choices

face hugger is what hatched out of the egg in the first Alien film
    Last edited by Divemouse; 01-10-2022 at 09:08 AM. Reason: face hugger description