Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1692 of 1697 FirstFirst ... 692119215921642168216901691169216931694 ... LastLast
Results 16,911 to 16,920 of 16961
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    I like the Tuono which is a Mille with a different shirt on. Both have the 4 pot Rotax. I used to own a Futura which is an armchair touring bike but had the twin Rotax litre unit. It (Futura) was a very nice machine - cycle parts - but the twin was crap. The four cylinder motor is smooth and the twin lumpy. The electronics on mine were beyond shit and it caught fire in France and had to come home on a truck. Thankfully Aprillia have moved on a bit since then but they still assemble a lot of stuff from other manufacturers.

Not a bad choice though. Clearly Woz spending too much time in dubious places judging by his choice of analogy
    The Tuono is an RSV4 with flat bars, no secondary shower injectors and an 1100 engine jigged for better low down torque rather than mental top end power. The new one even comes with the fancy upside-down braced swing arm, not that it makes a jot of difference to an untalented rider (like me). All of them come with fancy electronics including for the extremely brave, launch control where you nail the throttle, dump the clutch and pray. I have never been brave enough to have a go.

They stopped using the twin on the Tuono back in 2011 when they went to their own 60 V4, first in 1000cc format (which is what I have) and now as an 1100. Early bikes had problems with the stator (easy fix) and all need regular (12000mi) valve clearance checks, although the 1100 engine seems to hold them within spec for much longer. There is a brilliant independent place in Tamworth (AP Workshops) that looks after mine the feller there (Griff) used to be Aprilia UK technical manager and is proper whizz bang on the spanners. I even make a few parts for them that they resell on their website.

Biggest problem with them in general is cos the engine is so dreamy, riding the thing slowly is really really difficult as that V4 GP wail is addictive. They also love back tyres and unleaded!

You may be tempted by the 208hp Ducati Streetfighter as an alternative. Unfortunately what they don't tell you unless you dig down is the full power is only available above 130mph in the top 2 gears... so apart from pub bragging rights, completely useless. Plus is looks like it's been punched in the face and is all sad about it. The Aprilia has 3 modes- Sport, Track and Race. In T and R you have full chat in every gear. In S it limits you to 100hp in the first 3 gears. Which is really handy when you get caught in the rain as you really really need it...!
    Last edited by Woz; 11-08-2022 at 11:04 AM.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    ... The Aprilia has 3 modes- Sport, Track and Race. In T and R you have full chat in every gear. In S it limits you to 100hp in the first 3 gears. Which is really handy when you get caught in the rain as you really really need it...!
    STR Slow, Trouble and Rooted. This variable mapping is a thing now. (My trials bike has it) Far too complex for my slow wits. I remember seeing it first time on the MV Augusta tourer. I even thought about buying one but the price made me cough. Traction control is the one that I can't get my head round.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    STR Slow, Trouble and Rooted. This variable mapping is a thing now. (My trials bike has it) Far too complex for my slow wits. I remember seeing it first time on the MV Augusta tourer. I even thought about buying one but the price made me cough. Traction control is the one that I can't get my head round.
    The Tuono has something like 9 levels of traction control and 3 levels of wheelie control. All adjustable on the fly as you run into the back of a bus not paying attention. The traction control is really noticeable- when you are accelerating and hit a wet manhole cover you can feel it cut in.

My first rides of the year are normally done in the lowest mode, and this also improves fuel consumption (hugely) if touring. Not that I tour though that's what a car/motorhome is for. The flat out mode with the wheelie control off is entertaining but can be a little scary with the front lifting at any opportunity so being a Big Pussy I keep it on.

I have a 3L pickup truck, a 5L sports car, a motorhome and a motorbike. Guess which one has the worst fuel economy?
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    ... The traction control is really noticeable- when you are accelerating and hit a wet manhole cover you can feel it cut in....
    How does it work Mr Engineer?

(I'm guessing an ABS kinda thing?)
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Torque sensing?

A loss of traction would result in a drop in torque.

Relative wheel speed, front to back........

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep. It has ABS rotors on the wheels, but on my bike, no ABS (it came in the year after as for track use it's shite). That and sensors in a box under the tank that detect the overall movement through accelerometers and clever Bosch maths. When it detects the rear slipping it gently cuts the power (the old style ones used to knock the spark back but these days it's done through the fuel injection). Anti wheelie is a similar system- the 3 different levels let you bring the front up higher and longer the more you have it switched on.

The new bikes have more axis measurement and a faster processor so it can do all this mid corner, so if you have some skills (which I do not) you can do that whole "backing it into a corner" thing and firing it back out while cranked over. It's all very clever but for 99.99% of riders completely pointless. Works well in a race though (see Moto GP and how Aprilia are able to get the power on mid-corner way before anyone else so exit speeds are 15% higher- also due to the geometry and the way the engine mass sits).
    Last edited by Woz; 11-08-2022 at 04:30 PM.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I wish you will all stop talking about bikes. I had just got over my usual summertime urge to buy one and you have got me going again.
    Here you go, less tech than any the modern bikes and plenty of character. I keep looking back at this bike, nice and simple, low insurance and no tax or MoT to worry about. Probably not of much interest to Woz or Chris but it tickles my fancy.
    Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    They're all getting a bit toooo complicated. I have a Piaggio Maxi Scoot (same stable as the guzzi), with ABS, traction control and linked brakes.
    The guzzi has linked brakes and is an amazingly effective simple, mechanical/ hydraulic affair that seems bomb proof.
    The scoot's set up is all electronic with the abs and traction control working off rotors on each wheel. It does make it an excellent winter ride though.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    Here you go, less tech than any the modern bikes and plenty of character. I keep looking back at this bike, nice and simple, low insurance and no tax or MoT to worry about. Probably not of much interest to Woz or Chris but it tickles my fancy.
    Is it safe without wheelie control

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    As this is a diving forum and not a biking forum ...

I am on holidays in Greece. There is only 1 LDC in the town. Most of their dives do not interest me. Those that do are booked out for the duration of my trip.

Oh well just as well it was intended as a non diving week anyway
    JJ wanker