Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1690 of 1697 FirstFirst ... 690119015901640168016881689169016911692 ... LastLast
Results 16,891 to 16,900 of 16961
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I like middleweights like the CB 500. The problem is the A2 category which puts a silly restriction on them. I had a GPz 500S for a number of years and it did a lot of hard work including the Bol d'Or a few times two up with full camping gear. It was not short of power or speed. The CB500 looks a good choice with a decent dual seat and almost certainly would be a decent ride but it's need to sell into the A2 market probably means it will not ignite a lot of souls.

My current ride is the GSX650F which used to be a bandit but you must never say so. It was in two versions A2 and full power. Needless to say I have the latter. It is a decent ride but would benefit from an aftermarket seat for long journies. The motor is more "Honda" in that it will ride all day long at low revs - say up to 5k - and perform like a commuter or you can open it up and it is more like a Suzuki. Its good for at least 130 two up at which point I had to slow for a corner so there was - I am sure - more to give.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-de...02207298274369

Cheap too and good mpg. When I was a kid this would have been a "big" bike.

A had a 750 gixer before when we lives in Sussex and the handling was much sharper but the licence shredding effect much higher. (Had an MV Augusta F4 and sold it sharpish for that reason) I like Woz's Aprilia but my licence would not. I have been (casually) looking for a 'new' bike for a number of years but cannot justify anything I see. The trend to a much higher pillion is annoying for two up and I get bored stopping every 300 meters to wait for the missus to catch up on her Monster.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I wouldn't be too worried about whether a seat was comfortable for a long journey or not - if it is uncomfortable then either replace the seat with an aftermarkey one (depending on the bike ~300) or throw sheepskin on the seat (~50). If you go the sheepskin route then you also have rather a nice pillow when camping. Yoiu can also get the stock seat remodelled for less than the cost of a replacement seat (~200).
    Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    ...or throw sheepskin on the seat (~50). If you go the sheepskin route then you also have rather a nice pillow when camping. Yoiu can also get the stock seat remodelled for less than the cost of a replacement seat (~200).

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I wouldn't be too worried about whether a seat was comfortable for a long journey or not - if it is uncomfortable then either replace the seat with an aftermarkey one (depending on the bike ~300) or throw sheepskin on the seat (~50). If you go the sheepskin route then you also have rather a nice pillow when camping. Yoiu can also get the stock seat remodelled for less than the cost of a replacement seat (~200).
    Reminds me of my last decent trip on a bike. In the end, distance between stops were based on what my posterior could handle. Was doing a good John Wayne impression afterwards.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seat padding, pillow and.........
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    Reminds me of my last decent trip on a bike. In the end, distance between stops were based on what my posterior could handle. Was doing a good John Wayne impression afterwards.
    I did nearly 700 miles in a day once, on a TZR250.
    Over 14 hours actual riding.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    I like middleweights like the CB 500. The problem is the A2 category which puts a silly restriction on them. I had a GPz 500S for a number of years and it did a lot of hard work including the Bol d'Or a few times two up with full camping gear. It was not short of power or speed. The CB500 looks a good choice with a decent dual seat and almost certainly would be a decent ride but it's need to sell into the A2 market probably means it will not ignite a lot of souls.

My current ride is the GSX650F which used to be a bandit but you must never say so. It was in two versions A2 and full power. Needless to say I have the latter. It is a decent ride but would benefit from an aftermarket seat for long journies. The motor is more "Honda" in that it will ride all day long at low revs - say up to 5k - and perform like a commuter or you can open it up and it is more like a Suzuki. Its good for at least 130 two up at which point I had to slow for a corner so there was - I am sure - more to give.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-de...02207298274369

Cheap too and good mpg. When I was a kid this would have been a "big" bike.

A had a 750 gixer before when we lives in Sussex and the handling was much sharper but the licence shredding effect much higher. (Had an MV Augusta F4 and sold it sharpish for that reason) I like Woz's Aprilia but my licence would not. I have been (casually) looking for a 'new' bike for a number of years but cannot justify anything I see. The trend to a much higher pillion is annoying for two up and I get bored stopping every 300 meters to wait for the missus to catch up on her Monster.
    I like the idea of a reasonably light weight bike as well. Last year took the neighbours Fat Boy out for a spin. It felt like a tub of lard, and definitely put me off Harley Davidson bikes. Guess they are just for posing?

Why is the pillion seat higher now? Just for style or a practical reason? Also why do adventure bikes have a beak? There appears to be no practical reason for them.

Even in South America the CB500 is still about 35kw. Luckily avoided any of the extra steps to get a full bike licence. Just turned up and took the test, no cbt or theory test.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I had an aftermarket seat on my old Triumph Sprint ST. It really was a much better one than the original. I wish so much I had thought about it on my old VFR - it had a really hard seat only good for about 100mi The Sprint was ideal. In fact the whole bike was amazing bar the headlights. It was the early one, the 955i with a shorter wheelbase than the later 1050s. Really really nice machine bar the utterly useless lights. I was tempted to throw money at it but couldn't bring myself to spend a grand on a 20 year old bike. Some LED headlights new tyres and an overhaul. I got 400 quid for it and then secondhand prices went through the roof. Hey ho.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Why is the pillion seat higher now? Just for style or a practical reason? Also why do adventure bikes have a beak? There appears to be no practical reason for them....
    It is just fashion. The stepped seats reflect the single seat setup on race bikes. The missus and I are about the same height so whoever rides has the screen and the passenger has a wind tunnel. I have thought about the new Kawa Z900 as it is a retro with a flat seat but the cost is high. It is not so much buying the bike but the insurance. As an old fart my insurance is bugger all, about 110 for the 650. (It was only 80 for the ST955i) I looked at a VFR800 a while back - the new one with the LED lights and non linked brakes. The bike was 8 grand - not the end of the world, but the insurance went from 80 quid on the Triumph to 450 on the Honda. I doubt whether I would have done any more than the 2-300 miles on the newer bike. So a quid and a half a mile for insurance. Bollocks to that.

The beaks are just to make you look a tit. Unless it is a Ducati Multistrada. No one can look a tit on a Duke. Maybe Destiny's Child had nice tits on a Ducati, but a yellow bike? Jeez what where they thinking? I would have sacked my agent.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    If you ride those types of bike for too long, this happens.