Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1631 of 1663 FirstFirst ... 6311131153115811621162916301631163216331641 ... LastLast
Results 16,301 to 16,310 of 16624
  1. #16301
    Prior Member Tim Digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    West Midlands UK
    Posts
    5,080
    Likes (Given)
    3624
    Likes (Received)
    3959
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel hewitt View Post

    I do have a little tin of Germoline that I keep in the workshop to treat those inevitable scrapes...
    I remember buying it when I was working as a bus conductor one summer.
    1972.
    Fortunately most medicines don't age and turn into toxic products they merely become ineffective, the use after their expiry date is very variable depending on storage and probably a very large number of variables which are never tested for beyond an expiry date agreed by producers and drug agencies. It does at least act as a placebo or homeopathic medicine. There will be exceptions to the above but I don't know of them.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

  2. #16302
    Pedantic Pig Divemouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    6,580
    Likes (Given)
    8888
    Likes (Received)
    4358
    I've just spent 3 hours sitting on the floor with an old lady who'd fallen down and hurt her back. The ambulance did eventually turn up, but only after someone phoned her back to berate her for falling down and not 'getting herself some help'. She'd fallen at 9am and finally managed to drag herself to the phone at 3.30. The paramedics did an ECG and discovered that her heart was misfiring badly which had probably caused the fall.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

  3. #16303
    Established TDF Member Chrisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    9,328
    Likes (Given)
    960
    Likes (Received)
    4102
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    I've just spent 3 hours sitting on the floor with an old lady who'd fallen down and hurt her back. The ambulance did eventually turn up, but only after someone phoned her back to berate her for falling down and not 'getting herself some help'. She'd fallen at 9am and finally managed to drag herself to the phone at 3.30. The paramedics did an ECG and discovered that her heart was misfiring badly which had probably caused the fall.
    Give it another year and they will be asking for her insurance too.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

  4. #16304
    Established TDF Member jamesp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wrexham
    Posts
    5,555
    Likes (Given)
    2782
    Likes (Received)
    2095
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    I've just spent 3 hours sitting on the floor with an old lady who'd fallen down and hurt her back. The ambulance did eventually turn up, but only after someone phoned her back to berate her for falling down and not 'getting herself some help'. She'd fallen at 9am and finally managed to drag herself to the phone at 3.30. The paramedics did an ECG and discovered that her heart was misfiring badly which had probably caused the fall.
    My Dad was five hours, until it was cancelled at his request.
    He died just over a day later.

    School friend (49 died of sepsis a couple of years ago), had to wait over two hours for an ambulance.
    Daughter (3~4 th year med student at that time) was saying " it`s sepsis.
    Ambulance crew said "It`s Sepsis".
    Had to wait over two hours at A&E door.
    Ambulance crew told staff "It`s Sepsis", lead nurse in A&E " there`s a fucking queue, she can wait".
    Admitted, put into a medically induced coma; switched machine off two days later.

    Barrister at Inquest for Betsi Cadwallader do we give a fuck board, "She was destined to die after her diagnosis".

    Nurse "retired" before inquest, ambulance crew got thrown under a bus.

    There are serious problems with the nhs, a top heavy bureaucratic management, out of touch with "shopfloor", and an out of control shopfloor that considers "management" something to be automatically disregarded.
    The whole system is fucked, and killing people on a regular basis.

    I`ve had that view from nurses, doctors, consultants and management.

    Chair of Betsi, is the former Chief cuntstable of North wales police; who bailed on that before the local mp could have him crucified for lying and screwing that up (again, someone died).
    Last edited by jamesp; 30-01-2022 at 11:19 AM.

  5. #16305
    Established TDF Member Chrisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    9,328
    Likes (Given)
    960
    Likes (Received)
    4102
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    ...
    There are serious problems with the nhs, a top heavy bureaucratic management, out of touch with "shopfloor", and an out of control shopfloor that considers "management" something to be automatically disregarded.
    The whole system is fucked, and killing people on a regular basis....
    Deliberate government policy. The 2012 bill changed the goal posts and removed safeguards. https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/project...cial-care-bill

    The "insurance" solution is the favoured outcome, thus far it is social care https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks...ft-2021-09-10/ but make no mistake the wider healthcare industry is the target.

    SOP is to make a service bad by mismanagement and funding cuts then use increasing public opinion about how bad it is to hive it off to the private sector. British Rail was the last big institution to get that kind of treatment. It has not been a success.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

  6. #16306
    Established TDF Member jamesp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wrexham
    Posts
    5,555
    Likes (Given)
    2782
    Likes (Received)
    2095
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Deliberate government policy. The 2012 bill changed the goal posts and removed safeguards. https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/project...cial-care-bill

    The "insurance" solution is the favoured outcome, thus far it is social care https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks...ft-2021-09-10/ but make no mistake the wider healthcare industry is the target.

    SOP is to make a service bad by mismanagement and funding cuts then use increasing public opinion about how bad it is to hive it off to the private sector. British Rail was the last big institution to get that kind of treatment. It has not been a success.
    Only problem with that chris, health in wales is a devolved power, and has been since 1997.
    It has always been run by a Labour controlled welsh government, and has gone down hill from a low base.

    Ignore the politics, the people in it, and running it, are fucking it up on a daily basis.

  7. #16307
    Established TDF Member Chrisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    9,328
    Likes (Given)
    960
    Likes (Received)
    4102
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Only problem with that chris, health in wales is a devolved power, and has been since 1997.
    It has always been run by a Labour controlled welsh government, and has gone down hill from a low base.

    Ignore the politics, the people in it, and running it, are fucking it up on a daily basis.
    The only thing the funding is not devolved and is part of a UK wide program of taxation. However I accept that there are some fundamental problems in UK healthcare provision.

    As a genuine question - if you know - what is the level provision of private healthcare in Wales? I am familiar with the (South of) English offering but to be honest I really don't know much about Wales (or Welsh politics more exactly) in general sadly.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

  8. #16308
    Kit Junkie Kermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hexham
    Posts
    937
    Likes (Given)
    197
    Likes (Received)
    257
    One problem may be inconsistency. On a personal note my medical problems have been dealt with fantastically well but I know other local people who have had problems. And, the dissatisfied always shout louder than the satisfied. A week or so ago a chum (a copper) came off his bike. Oil on the road (actually it was a pool of hydraulic fluid). Me and another guy never noticed it. He was pretty bashed up. "Shall I call an Ambulance?". Copper: "no, don't even think about that". So I rang a mate who came out in his car and took him to the local hospital. He was seen immediately, x-rayed for a punctured lung, and dealt with rapidly and well.

    Apart from the fact that KTM Adventure bikes with a near full fuel load are a pig to pick up on a hill I'm not sure what any of that means...
    I'll think of something witty some time soon.

  9. #16309
    Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Too far from the sea!
    Posts
    11,773
    Likes (Given)
    3525
    Likes (Received)
    6766
    Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    One problem may be inconsistency. On a personal note my medical problems have been dealt with fantastically well but I know other local people who have had problems. And, the dissatisfied always shout louder than the satisfied. A week or so ago a chum (a copper) came off his bike. Oil on the road (actually it was a pool of hydraulic fluid). Me and another guy never noticed it. He was pretty bashed up. "Shall I call an Ambulance?". Copper: "no, don't even think about that". So I rang a mate who came out in his car and took him to the local hospital. He was seen immediately, x-rayed for a punctured lung, and dealt with rapidly and well.

    Apart from the fact that KTM Adventure bikes with a near full fuel load are a pig to pick up on a hill I'm not sure what any of that means...
    Some years ago I cut my hand and needed stitches. A friend drove me to Northampton General, I was out of the building within about 35 mins, all stitched up and raring to go.
    The following week, the same friend has an eye problem, I took her to NG and we came home over four hours later.
    Luck of the draw I think.
    By the way, I cut my hand doing the washing up, so be warned! Avoid washing up whenever possible, it is dangerous.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

  10. #16310
    Kit Junkie Kermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hexham
    Posts
    937
    Likes (Given)
    197
    Likes (Received)
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    By the way, I cut my hand doing the washing up, so be warned! Avoid washing up whenever possible, it is dangerous.
    My GF only has blunt knives for that reason. I always take a sharp knife with me when I go visiting.
    I'll think of something witty some time soon.


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •