Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1663 of 1675 FirstFirst ... 6631163156316131653166116621663166416651673 ... LastLast
Results 16,621 to 16,630 of 16743
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I just made the mistake of going into the ditch to collect flints to make a French drain for the washing machine, just before an impressive thunderstorm. Absolutely soaked and I couldn't run away because the force of the rain bought all the vegetation on the sides down with me.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    I just made the mistake of going into the ditch to collect flints to make a French drain for the washing machine, just before an impressive thunderstorm. Absolutely soaked and I couldn't run away because the force of the rain bought all the vegetation on the sides down with me.
    What is a French Drain? Is this a linguistic relic of times when anything "not nice" was called French Eg French Letter. About the time of the Napoleonic War. I presume you mean a soakaway?
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    What is a French Drain? Is this a linguistic relic of times when anything "not nice" was called French Eg French Letter. About the time of the Napoleonic War. I presume you mean a soakaway?
    They're slow drains (often perforated pipe surrounded by large infill) intended to drain surface and ground water. They may outfall into a soakaway, but likely other streams or bigger drainage systems. The lines of stones alongside trunkroads and motorways are likely to be french drains. They tend to blind (clog up) over time and are a maintenance nightmare. They are often replaced by swales, the big shallow concrete V that are connected to the bigger drains at gulley points.

WIki has it that they're named for an American who made them popular,
    Bought a house in Devon, drank cider from a lemon.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    The French for "French Letter" is "capote anglaise".
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My water bill has just gone up by 50%
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    English Heritage. Another triumph of Tory privatisation that focuses on nothing but squeezing profit out of resources that belong to the nation.

I visited Clifford's Tower in York yesterday for the first time since it's redevelopment and shocked at how shit it is. Turned into a glorified viewing platform, the sole purpose of which is stealing a tenner from tourists.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Water is 1.70 a tonne delivered. Cheap as chips. Actually much cheaper than chips TBH
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    English Heritage. Another triumph of Tory privatisation that focuses on nothing but squeezing profit out of resources that belong to the nation.

I visited Clifford's Tower in York yesterday for the first time since it's redevelopment and shocked at how shit it is. Turned into a glorified viewing platform, the sole purpose of which is stealing a tenner from tourists.
    Had always assumed it was a tube of stone with nothing inside on a small hill.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    Had always assumed it was a tube of stone with nothing inside on a small hill.
    It was. Been redeveloped by EH as a tourist cash cow. If you'd never seen it before and didn't care about conservation or history then what they've done would look great. I'm a history geek, I think it's awful and oversteps the mark of conservators of our heritage. HES in Scotland and Cadw in Wales are government agencies there to protect and conserve. EH is different, the Tories thought it would be better to turn it into a commercial operation posing as a charity that treats heritage as a business resource. It's not as bad as the Stonehenge theme park but it's that level of shitness. It also seems to have removed a lot of the references that were there to the Jewish pogrom, presumably to make it all a bit more palatable to tourists.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Has your consumption gone up to match? If yes and your behaviours are unchanged, check your own pipework for a leak.

Also the sewage bill component relates to the water volume, so if you do have a leak, you're also paying more for the waste treatment.
    Last edited by Adrian; 01-06-2022 at 01:38 PM.
    Bought a house in Devon, drank cider from a lemon.