Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1496 of 1511 FirstFirst ... 496996139614461486149414951496149714981506 ... LastLast
Results 14,951 to 14,960 of 15106
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st Ade View Post
    Almost off topic - I nearly killed a woman near the Wanted Inn at Sparrowpit late on Sunday evening. Driving from Chesterfield to my Fathers house near Stockport, saw a car in a lay-bye, boot open and hazards flashing. Slowed down, no one there, started to accelerate - saw a woman with black clothing and black hair in front of me walking a black Labrador on a road with no footway. If I hadn't slowed for the parked car I'd have hit her. Hard.

She possibly had no choice if the dog was desperate - but WHY?
    Was she walking in your direction? If there is no footpath, it is common sense for pedestrians (and advised in the highway code) to walk in to the direction of oncoming traffic to allow you to see them and take avoiding action if required. Irrespective of the dog being desperate, she always has a choice as to what to wear and what to put on the dog. It would have been simple to put on a reflective armband or use a reflective collar/harness on the dog especially if she normally uses that route for walking.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    I think drivers, as a rule, are actually pretty poor about observation (failing to scan their surroundings on a regular basis with a focus on an area not very far past the end of their bonnet), fail to pick up smaller objects when they do (partly due to a well known phenomena where we as a species have been shown to be poor at scanning and picking things out) and fail to process thing sufficiently far enough ahead. Most of these can be cured by better training however attitudes can't be cured as easily.

I think the main reasoning with regards to flashing led rear led lights was that the flash would actually register better than a solid red light.

It is always find it surprising that we are all allowed to drive unchecked for up to 53 years (based on a learner at 17) despite operating a vehicle that weighs 1.5-2T. I can almost guarantee that 90% of drivers would fail even the test they sat when they passed (especially if it were 5+ years ago) never mind the new test.
    Humans never evolved to drive cars (or motorbikes). Our brain fills in missing details in what we "see" to save processing power. (Like the old Y2K problem and the missing 19). The faster we go the more we need to do this, above 20mph or so it is essential, way beyond our running capability. We also interpret what we see based on the database of experience we possess. This is why young drivers and old drivers have different accidents and accident rates. With age comes experience but also a lack of concentration as we become over confident (men especially). Older drivers have reaction time and eyesight issues (so I agree 100% the need for a retest or a medical as is the case in Spain).

None of us are immune. It is how we are wired up. I once nearly pulled out into the path of a BMW GS (lights on) as I did not see it. The missus saw it and stopped me. He was in a group of three bikes and I saw none of them. I could not have lived with myself if I had hit him.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    But I have airbags, seatbelts, crumple zones, comfy seats, good lighting, good roads. I drive an Audi, I am invincible!

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    But I have airbags, seatbelts, crumple zones, comfy seats, good lighting, good roads. I drive an Audi, I am invincible!
    There is a lot to be said for having a spike on the steering wheel and another on the door, pointing towards the driver's groin, so that any impact has a very personal effect. Lots more space between vehicles as no-one will drive too close and pulling out will start to be a distant memory.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    There is a lot to be said for having a spike on the steering wheel and another on the door, pointing towards the driver's groin, so that any impact has a very personal effect. Lots more space between vehicles as no-one will drive too close and pulling out will start to be a distant memory.
    Did you watch the ice road truckers in India? People there believe in fate and so they overtake on the basis that today is/is not the day for you to die. No forward vision needed.

Humans really should not be allowed anywhere near a car. (Even a Audi with all the automatic bollocks that stops you making a dick of yourself).

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    Another possibility is that the system did not have the correct additives added. The system should be flushed with cleanser and then refilled with inhibitor during installation. It is possible that the installer either forgot to remove the cleanser or just didn't add the inhibitor. Both of these will cause a vastly shorter working life.
    Nope - we had to have the cleaner and the inhibitor plus some kind of filter installed to make the guarantee work - fortunately SWMBO did this when we had the boiler changed.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    Nope - we had to have the cleaner and the inhibitor plus some kind of filter installed to make the guarantee work - fortunately SWMBO did this when we had the boiler changed.
    I only suggested it as a potential problem we had with an installation within a large residential property (non domestic). The heating engineer that installed the system and started the flush (adding the cleanser) then ended up on a different job the next day and his buddy that took over the next day "assumed" that the cleanser had been removed and inhibitor provided. The relevant certificates were to be provided with the O&M manuals (which normally follow weeks or months later after much shouting). It was only noticed a good while later when problems occurred with parts failure.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    Mods, Dawn has hacked into Jay's account.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Emails that when you delete them, they take you to a web site and open it up.

Instant delete and never trust again.

Harry's razors for one.

taz

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post

Emails that when you delete them, they take you to a web site and open it up.

Instant delete and never trust again.

Harry's razors for one.

taz

Oh great, now Dawn has a weapons supplier.

I was thinking of getting a trial set of Harry’s razor using the code “Fish” (as in No Such Thing As A Fish podcast) but now I am a little wary....
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info