Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1581 of 1713 FirstFirst ... 581108114811531157115791580158115821583159116311681 ... LastLast
Results 15,801 to 15,810 of 17125
    Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    We're due to drive up to Scotland today, but can't get there without refuelling at some point. Very nervous about setting out.
    We're heading for N Wales on Sunday Morning. Could be interesting.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm in Cornwall, heading home tomorrow and have enough to get me a bit over half way. Any other week I'd only be doing 50 miles or so.
    Arse.

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Full tanks in both cars. No queue at Morrisons this morning when I arrived at 10ish but it stretched down the road by the time I'd fueled up. In my defence, I'm doing 100 miles tomorrow and Monday and then driving to Luton Airport next Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post
    Interestingly I can drive (grandfather rights) and have experience at driving 7.5T HGVs but despite a "shortage" my skills are not required despite applying for a variety of driving jobs!!!
    The shortage is of Class 1 drivers.
    Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    The shortage is of experienced Class 1 drivers.
    FTFY
    I know a couple of recently qualified class 1 drivers who can't get jobs driving artics so are stuck doing multi-drop skut work in class 2 lorries.
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Don't do it!

Cancelled Friday afternoon's delivery and using the bike this weekend to conserve the dregs in the van. I fill up Friday afternoons on my way out to customers but it was too bad. This morning same queues. I would think a lot of places will be sold out tomorrow. Next week will be fun. Once the carriers' vans are empty and the trucks are empty the world will stop.
    Plenty of fuel in the depots and plenty of drivers, when the panic buyers have filled their tanks and jerry cans the fuel stations will be very quiet.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine French critic and historian (1828-93)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I was speaking to class 1 HGV driver ( I think - Flatbed with 40 container on it) last month.. he said that there is no real shortage of drivers but there is a shortage of cheap drivers. His view was that a lot of companies are not prepared to pay the true rates. He said that supermarkets are paying over the odds to fright companies to ensure they have priority and continuity of supply.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by John63 View Post
    I was speaking to class 1 HGV driver ( I think - Flatbed with 40’ container on it) last month.. he said that there is no real shortage of drivers but there is a shortage of cheap drivers. His view was that a lot of companies are not prepared to pay the true rates. He said that supermarkets are paying over the odds to fright companies to ensure they have priority and continuity of supply.
    Our refuse collection has been partly suspended as crews find that lorry driving pays better than bin lorry driving... Some drivers have been actively poached from the cab while on the rounds.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Drove down from Scotland Thursday/Friday no problems half a tank when home. Went to local Sainsburys for shopping, could hardly get into car park for queues to pumps. I had thought I might fill up but didn't bother it will be fine by next week. The gas situation is far more worrying it takes longer to build gas storage than to entice a few drivers back to work with a decent wage.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Amazing eh? BBC and newspapers puts a story out about fuel shortages and government assurances there’s plenty of fuel and no need to panic. Boom. Every forecourt in the land clogged with people filling there cars to the brim.
    WTF did this government of utter idiots and the responsible journalists expect to happen?

Are the same issues happening in Europe and elsewhere in the world or is this unique to the UK? And if so why would that be?