• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chriscourt
    New TDF Member
    • Aug 2013

Practicing Buoyancy

Hi All

New to the site and relatively new to diving - maybe have around 50 dives under my belt.

I'm writing as I'd like a few tips on practicing my buoyancy whilst operating my camera.

I'm a little far from coastlines to go diving regularly enough to keep up progress and it's a little expensive.

I was thinking of visiting the local swimming pool but I'm pretty certain they'll not allow me to bring the camera housing in with me.

Are there any alternative ways of practicing? I mostly have a lot of my own kit.

Cheers
  • jb2cool
    Sorry for being a dick
    • Dec 2012

You might be far from the coast but you are pretty near Wraysbury. Get down there and practice. Alternatively, have you thought of becoming a member of a BSAC club? they often operate out of a swimmimg pool and have practice sessions/club nights.
    Last edited by jb2cool; 19-08-2013, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• The Duck
      Putting the FU in SNAFU
      • Dec 2012

FWIW,

Get good without the camera first would be my advice.

Dive lots and if you can't get in the sea, get in a quarry.

Get feedback from your buddy and take on board any comments.
      Do not despise the snake for having no horns,for who is to say it will not become a dragon? So one just man may become an army! - The Water Margin

Comment

• tobyfish
        TDF Member
        • Jul 2013

Practicing Buoyancy

Our club doesn't allow cameras in the pool because of child protection. However, I think we'd probably not have an issue if you just dived with the housing. You might want to weight the housing to keep the characteristics of the rig but you'll be able to practice controlling buoyancy with one or both hands busy and clipping your camera on and off etc

Comment

• purple vonny
          Like a real diver but smaller apparently
          • Dec 2012

If it is a club night, and the pool is full of divers (not children) you will probably get permission to use a camera. Phone and ask!

It is very very important to get your confidence with buoyancy sorted before trying to be half decent with a camera. Task loading and all that. Try shallow shore diving if you can. I've only dived in Wraysbury once, it's very silty but also nice and warm this time of year - not a bad place to go and play.

I'd also add - get used to using your camera in the housing on land and familiarise yourself with all the buttons. They look different on the housing that they do on the camera alone. Not that I am a brilliant photographer - just adding what I did that made things easier!
          Last edited by purple vonny; 19-08-2013, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• BTS
            feckface von clownstick
            • Dec 2012

There are three ways to improve, practice, practice, practice.

There are plenty on here that use Wraysbury, maybe someone will be gracious enough to go diving with you... and as mentioned there are many dive clubs, mainly BSAC but don't let that put you off. meet divers, go diving, get better...

BSAC clubs offer a buoyancy and trim workshop, PADI offer a course call peak performance buoyancy, both are good for hints and tips but are worthless if not followed up with lots of practise..
            Last edited by BTS; 19-08-2013, 05:34 PM.
            What to do? I only have three bullets and there are four of motley crew...

Comment

• Steve Clark
              Established TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

Read this lot :

Buoyancy Masterclass: Week One | Articles | Resources

Buoyancy Masterclass: Week Two | Articles | Resources

Buoyancy Masterclass: Week Three | Articles | Resources

Buoyancy Control Tips | Articles | Resources

Fine Tuning Buoyancy | Articles | Resources

Practice. Practice a lot.

Steve

Comment

• MikeF
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

buoyancy masterclass lesson week four

hover just off the bottom and get a out a goody bag, start filling it with scallops whilst maintaining neutral buoyancy. once the bag is full take out a lift bag and attach it while hovering midwater. start putting air in the bag while dumping air from your suit / wing to transfer buoyancy from you to the bag. once both you and the bag are both neutrally buoyant, give the bag an extra scoosh of air and carry on your dive.

Comment

• Hot Totty
                  Red Hot Totty ;)
                  • Dec 2012

Practice being neutral and not moving - anything, no finning (even little bits) no arm flapping etc just float. Then try and do that eyes closed, just for added difficulty. It's easier then with the camera
                  www.wapsac.co.uk
                  Apparently becoming a grandad

Comment

• witchieblackcat
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

Practicing Buoyancy

If you're practicing in a pool find an interesting tile on a wall and practice staying about a foot away from it while motionless. Once that's easy close your eyes and still stay there. Once that's easy hover about an arms length from the bottom and then close your eyes for say 30 seconds. When you don't face plant the floor or arrive at the surface you're ready to get your camera out.

Comment

Working...