Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 LastLast

Thread: Beer!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    And if we are going north of the Border 80shilling. There were some dire Scottish brews in the 80s and 90s, Maybe more excuse than many with long distance from brewery to pub and few deliveries. The Clacach in Glencoe usually has good beer now as does the Sligahan on Skye but Oh my there were some poor beers in the past.
    Clachaig I presume?

There are any number of excellent Scottish craft beers nowadays. Brewdog have been spectacularly sucessfull in recent years and are by a long way the largest of the new breed of brewers. However I much prefer the offerings from Innis & Gunn who are catching up very quickly. Try their Original oak brew or any of their specials. I was never a lager drinker but have now acquired a taste for theirs which is now the top selling craft lager in the Uk. And yes, I am a shareholder in the company!
    Last edited by thistlediver; 27-12-2018 at 05:47 PM.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by thistlediver View Post
    Clachaig I presume?

There are any number of excellent Scottish craft beers nowadays. Brewdog have been spectacularly sucessfull in recent years and are by a long way the largest of the new breed of brewers. However I much prefer the offerings from Innis & Gunn who are catching up very quickly. Try their Original oak brew or any of their specials. I was never a lager drinker but have now acquired a taste for theirs which is now the top selling craft lager in the Uk. And yes, I am a shareholder in the company!
    I have tried a few I&G but find the oak taste not to my liking. Brewdog, however, with their liking of hops, often rings the bell for me.

They published all their recipes on line and I have followed a few. Expensive brews (comparing with other home brews, they may cost me as much as 1 per pint rather than 35-50p) but well worth it.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I have tried a few I&G but find the oak taste not to my liking. Brewdog, however, with their liking of hops, often rings the bell for me.

They published all their recipes on line and I have followed a few. Expensive brews (comparing with other home brews, they may cost me as much as 1 per pint rather than 35-50p) but well worth it.
    1 a pint expensive? Have you been in a pub in the last twenty years?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My Woodforde's brews come in around 50p a pint for the weaker ones and 60p for the stronger ones.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by thistlediver View Post
    1 a pint expensive? Have you been in a pub in the last twenty years?
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    My Woodforde's brews come in around 50p a pint for the weaker ones and 60p for the stronger ones.
    My home brews run from 35p to 90p
    It may seem strange to a non brewer but the more expensive ones are often the lighter beers, this is due to larger amounts of more expensive hops.
    The strong (alcohol wise) dark beers rely on greater amounts and diversities of malt grains and these are relatively cheap.
    The batch I made yesterday will be quite pale but full of citrussy, hoppy taste and aroma. I have used lots of ahtunum, citra and nelson sauvin hops.
    This beer will be around 85p per pint.
    As thistlediver says, nothing to match the 3.5/4.00 from my local microbrewery.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The reason that the stronger Woodforde's brews are more expensive is that they make 32 pints rather than 40 pints. Perfectly true what you say about the more exotic hops though, they do push the price up but make a big difference to the taste.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you use a pressure barrel, the first half pint or so will always come out cloudy even if you use finings. I use this in the breadmaker in place of some of the water to add richness to wholemeal and granary loaves.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    If you use a pressure barrel, the first half pint or so will always come out cloudy even if you use finings. I use this in the breadmaker in place of some of the water to add richness to wholemeal and granary loaves.
    Funny that you have mentioned that. When I made a yeast starter the other day, I had a brainwave! I put a tablespoon of dried malt extract into the loaf I was making. I was using malted flour anyway and the results were great.
    I know where the next pint of cloudy beer is going.
    Paul.

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Although they may have run out by now, Tesco have been selling Titanic Plum Porter at 4 for 6.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    Although they may have run out by now, Tesco have been selling Titanic Plum Porter at 4 for 6.
    Went down well, did it?
    Paul.

Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 LastLast