X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Clark
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Stevie H
    You get what you pay for, go with a twobit outfit and you can expect the service you list above
    Agreed.

Comment

• Noggin the Nog
      Hail the Children of LLyr
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by r1john
      Sun block
      +1

I'd make it Reinemann P20. So long as you RTFM you won't end up with a yellow T-shirt etc & because it's not slimy you don't have any problems donning wetsuits etc. And it really does last all day. It works for me & I can get a tan from the light coming on in the fridge when you open the door.
      "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Comment

• JimmE
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

Egypt tips

Originally posted by purple vonny
        Last time we were checking in at Marsa Alam airport, we were offered "tubes " of £1 coins in exchange for notes. Our friends said OK (we said "no thanks") - lo and behold most of the pound coins were counterfeit. - beware.
        Thanks, I was very dubious, but this was along the main promenades between the hotels and the beach, and the coins were all 'used' and loose for inspection - he counted them out for us. They all seemed fine, but I suppose they'd only need to mix a handful of forgeries in with the genuine ones to make a profit. Had they been pre-packaged, even bagged, I'd have been much more wary, somehow.
        www.eastcornwalldivers.co.uk

Comment

• David D
          TDF Member
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by timmyg
          .... Egypt (other dodgy nations are available) taxi scam. When we got into a taxi the other night after agreeing a price of 20 Egyptian pounds the driver said he would give me 80 change if I gave him 100. When I got my cash out he snatched a note saying "that's it" then returned it to me saying, sorry my mistake, that was a 10..... The robbing turd had switched notes. Very quick hands and when you've had a few beers difficult to compute!! Many of the same group experienced the same with the worst being £60 UK down. The moral of the story. Get the exact change out or only one note if you need change. Please spread the word to any exped leaders you know.

TG
          This is a serious problem and worth a bump.

On two of my last three trips to Hurghada, guests from the boat have been ripped off in this way, both times on the way back from town to the boat. On the last trip the guest was a petite woman, not in any way worse for wear, but obviously the taxi driver saw an easy target; down £20 on that occassion.

Twenty-ish LE gets you most places in Hughada, have the correct money, don't fuss about with a fist-full of bills when it comes time to pay.

Comment

• Intranicity
            I need to go diving...
            • Dec 2012

We were warned in Hurghada this year (By local shop keeper) not to ever pay Taxi's using LE50 notes as they are doing the 50 Piastre note trick, only paid for one taxi and agreed LE20 as others have suggested, but just watch out for any 50 notes and make sure they are what you thought you should have.
            Opinions are like assholes, just some smell more than others!

Comment

• Squidge
              Mrs Turbanator
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by David D
              This is a serious problem and worth a bump.

On two of my last three trips to Hurghada, guests from the boat have been ripped off in this way, both times on the way back from town to the boat. On the last trip the guest was a petite woman, not in any way worse for wear, but obviously the taxi driver saw an easy target; down £20 on that occassion.

Twenty-ish LE gets you most places in Hughada, have the correct money, don't fuss about with a fist-full of bills when it comes time to pay.
              I made this mistake in Hurgada and had a wodge of notes snatched from me by the taxi driver - while me, Paul and a mate were still sitting in the taxi. Quite where the driver thought he was going to go, god alone knows, anyway, the lads 'persuaded' him to give the money back but the bugger had managed to swap some notes in the meantime. Luckily it didn't involve a large sum, but the experience was enough to put Paul and I off going back to Egypt.
              'Every time I go in the water I don't know what I'll find. And I always return amazed at the animals that let me into their world' - Brian Skerry.

'I saw some purple slug things on the Scylla, so I squished them' - Tidders

Comment

• londonsean69
                Bacon fiend
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Squidge
                but the experience was enough to put Paul and I off going back to Egypt.
                I can't imagine Claire and I going back to Sharm, no reason in particular, but we just didn't like the place. I have been a fair few times in the past, and it just seems to have gone downhill.

I'd rather spend a bit more wedge and go elsewhere.
                Sean

A few more pics - www.arrowpix.com

Comment

• JimmE
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

I'd read these posts about taxis before we went in September this year, so each time we were very careful to ask the driver in advance, how much to take us to the destination. We then got them to confirm that that was for both of us, not each, and that was LE, not GBP!

I then made sure that we had the right money ready before the taxi stopped, wallet away, and clearly handed over the amount one note at a time.

We got on OK, but if it hadn't been for the warnings from others before hand, I'd never have given it a second thought.
                  www.eastcornwalldivers.co.uk

Comment

• Squidge
                    Mrs Turbanator
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by londonsean69
                    I can't imagine Claire and I going back to Sharm, no reason in particular, but we just didn't like the place. I have been a fair few times in the past, and it just seems to have gone downhill.

I'd rather spend a bit more wedge and go elsewhere.
                    Yep, us too.

I know it's unfair to compare but we prefer the underwater wildlife elsewhere too And that wasn't an invitation to crow about your forthcoming trip, either!
                    'Every time I go in the water I don't know what I'll find. And I always return amazed at the animals that let me into their world' - Brian Skerry.

Comment

• londonsean69
                      Bacon fiend
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Squidge
                      Yep, us too.

I know it's unfair to compare but we prefer the underwater wildlife elsewhere too And that wasn't an invitation to crow about your forthcoming trip, either!
                      Look,
                      Each
                      Mention
                      Brings
                      Epic
                      Happiness
                      Sean

Comment

• Tunicates
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Jan 2013

Look,
                        Each
                        Mention
                        Brings
                        Epic
                        Happiness
                        Meanwhile
                        Almost
                        Limitless
                        Diving
                        Imparts
                        Vibrantly
                        Euphoric
                        Sensations

Comment

• Squidge
                          Mrs Turbanator
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Tuna-cakes
                          Meanwhile
                          Almost
                          Limitless
                          Diving
                          Imparts
                          Vibrantly
                          Euphoric
                          Sensations
                          Sod
                          Off
                          Divers

Comment

• londonsean69
                            Bacon fiend
                            • Dec 2012

Just
                            Exercise
                            A
                            Lot
                            Of
                            Utter
                            Surprise
                            ?
                            Sean

Comment

• Squidge
                              Mrs Turbanator
                              • Dec 2012

Just
                              Exercise
                              A
                              Lot
                              Of
                              Utter
                              Surprise
                              ?
                              Not
                              Obviously

Comment

• londonsean69
                                Bacon fiend
                                • Dec 2012

Making
                                Odd
                                Noises,
                                Girl
                                Sean

Comment

Working...