Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Those symptoms sound same as when I had cold that included sinus congestion. Sharp pain in back tooth on descent, then back on boat sharp pain in cheek/below eye socket, same side. After an hour the sinus pain would go. Had a couple of days off diving, but still took another two weeks to clear fully, when diving.
    Touch your toes if your still blocked you'll feel it in the sinuses!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I dived a few weeks ago with blocked sinuses and the descent was purgatorial. I thought my tubes were clear (I had hayfever but could breathe through my nose) but there was obviously still some gunk in there. God, it hurt - teeth, ears, face, the lot. The ascent wasn't very comfortable either. I usually like the slight popping and tinkling noises you get on the way back up, but this was more of a creaking and groaning behind my cheekbones, and there was a little bit of blood in my mask when I took it off.
    'Every time I go in the water I don't know what I'll find. And I always return amazed at the animals that let me into their world' - Brian Skerry.

'I saw some purple slug things on the Scylla, so I squished them' - Tidders

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by stillbubbling View Post
    Entirely possible. It's dependent on how fast the compromised tooth can get rid of expanding gas. In the same way as 'normal' decompression, if there is a slow bleed of pressurised gas into the tooth through (say) cracked enamel, it will evenually equalise. Now, taking the pressure off on ascent it has to either escape (not necessarily fast enough if the crack is tiny/hairline), or expand (putting pressure onto the sensitive dentine) or something's gonna go bang....

Or that's the way it was explained to me by a diving dentist years ago. Mostly these incidents blow away a chunk of tooth enamel, apparently (which still bloody hurts!)
    fair enough, suppose my understanding of tooth anatomy and structure is limited enough (BDS), not doubting tooth pain on decent, not sure how much is likely on ascent but teeth exploding is just BS

Rebreather numpty stillbubbling's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Update

Ok, finally got diving again after my tooth squeeze. I can confirm that it was maxillary sinus. Everything happy and no hurty teeth. A trip to the dentist found absolutely nothing either.

So breathing a sigh of relief!

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I can personally assure you that it's entirely possible!
    I did a 'staff dive' at Roatan Banks about 6yrs ago and on the ascent I felt a bit of a twinge in my lower right molar. Nothing too exciting, just a small ache and then an almost un-noticeable pop. Turns out that pop was 1/4 of my molar exploding off!
    On the bright side, it turns out that cotton wool soaked in oil of cloves makes a bloody effective 'battlefield repair' and allowed me to carry on working for another 6wks until the contract ended.

Quote Originally Posted by dixi View Post
    how is this possible? my understanding is that if there is an air gap which is reacting to the ambient pressure then there must be a connection to the mouth, therefore while pain on decent is perfectly likely the "exploding tooth" on ascent seems most likely to be an urban myth, much ore likely there was a fracture present before the dive and the increased pressure caused it to propagate, this is unliekly to have been prevented by packing afilling harder.
    Not prepared to be sold for profit

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My ears feel blocked for last two weeks and sinus pain.Have been using sweet almond for the ears one has stopped aching though one still feels blocked and sinus same tried to decongestant for couple of days sinus feels a little better.Thought about trying swim ear ? If that sounds right.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotreferee View Post
    My ears feel blocked for last two weeks and sinus pain.Have been using sweet almond for the ears one has stopped aching though one still feels blocked and sinus same tried to decongestant for couple of days sinus feels a little better.Thought about trying swim ear ? If that sounds right.
    Your problem is congestion and eustatian tube blockage. Swim ear will do nothing but probably not harmful. You need to be able to equalise on land before you dive.
    Tim Digger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12