Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Chipped cylinder neck and corrosion, what to do?

I recently spotted that paint on my cylinder necks are chipped and there is corrosion, see pictures below. They are due visual at the end of the year. Questions are as follows;

What if should I do now, if anything to nip the problem in the bud and prevent further corrosion?
    or
    Am I better of waiting for the visual test at which point they will see the corrosion and advice?

While I have some metallic paint, the idea of stripping the paint and sanding the cylinder sounds a faff and its something I am not set up for.

Cheers,
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    I recently spotted that paint on my cylinder necks are chipped and there is corrosion, see pictures below. They are due visual at the end of the year. Questions are as follows;

What if should I do now, if anything to nip the problem in the bud and prevent further corrosion?
    or
    Am I better of waiting for the visual test at which point they will see the corrosion and advice?

While I have some metallic paint, the idea of stripping the paint and sanding the cylinder sounds a faff and its something I am not set up for.

Cheers,
    Stop diving them! Immediately! They could explode at any moment! Best bet is to send them to me and I'll dispose of them safely for you.
    Last edited by BenL; 08-07-2013 at 11:12 PM.
    I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Stop diving them! Immediately! They could explode at any moment! Best bet is to send them to me and I'll dispose of them safely for you.
    Wooa, thanks. That was a close call as I have diving planned this weekend.
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Won't Mention Miflex. Graham Smith's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    No problems that I can see....Just get a bit of Wire Wool or similar and rub the rust off. Don't worry too much about getting a perfectly smooth finish as you would say on your car. Then a small dab of paint to seal the area.

The only reason they have rusted is that the Zinc coat has chipped off, you just need to stop water and air getting to the bare metal. They won't fail a visual for this and after all, a few bumps and scrapes go to show you're a "Well 'Ard" wreck diver.....

G
    If Eastbourne Had helium.....