Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ok so this is a bit alien to me

can anyone point me in the direction of some pointers for free diving techniques. I am interested in increasing my breath hold, i have always been at home in the water but I hate holding my breath. I can do about 12-15m underwater in the pool with no fins, I'm sure I can do 25-30m with a bit of self training. Any tips would be great

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    hi,

There are many areas to this - not really an easy one to learn from the internet. With out wanting to cop out on the answer, I would suggest you track down a freediving instructor and chat things through with them, even with the view to book a course.

Obviously trying to train yourself to increase breath hold times brings about many potential dangers due to the risk of passing out, oxygen levels etc. Not sure where you are based but there is a great guy down in Newquay called Ian, you can get him at http://www.freediveuk.com/

regards,

anthony

Bene
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi,

Freediving is great I am sure you will enjoy it, it will also improve your scuba particularly your finning in water and ease to deal with any issue.

I might be able to help you find an instructor. Where about do you live in the UK?

You can also have a look at the BFA website (british freediving association, http://www.britishfreediving.org) where they have instructor and clubs listed or contact Apneaboy who is the new chair of the association.

Benedicte

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Have a look on www.deeperblue.com for more info.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Can I come with you when you learn Tim, I think you'll do a cracking dolphin impersination with a silver wetsuit and a monofin

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yubnub View Post
    hi,

There are many areas to this - not really an easy one to learn from the internet. With out wanting to cop out on the answer, I would suggest you track down a freediving instructor and chat things through with them, even with the view to book a course.

Obviously trying to train yourself to increase breath hold times brings about many potential dangers due to the risk of passing out, oxygen levels etc. Not sure where you are based but there is a great guy down in Newquay called Ian, you can get him at Freedive UK - Aida freediving school ...Learn to freedive in Cornwall Freedive UK ? Aida freediving school

regards,

anthony
    Ian was brilliant for us, fantastic instructor and really made the day (Introductory AIDA 1* course) worthwhile with plenty of future prospects too. We're based in London but once we'd got a few people from our club together he was more than happy to come up from Cornwall and take us through stuff - might be worth considering if something like this would work for you if you can't find a local instructor.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    might be worth considering if something like this would work for you if you can't find a local instructor.
    Tims in cornwall too so location is not a problem.....come on Tim, lets go freediving and sneak up on fish or have i got the wrong idea about it all still aching to see you try and work a monofin

R.I.P.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Never freedive alone
    Do a course

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We had the guys from notanx come along to do a session with us in our pool. The taster session was good value IIRC.

Janos
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't climb a ladder with a large bell in both hands - Vic Reeves
    Hellfins - a friendly London dive club
    My music video: Dive the UK, cos that's the way it is. Huh!

Bene
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If Tim is in Cornwall you can also consider sam Kirby at Salt free. She is a great instructor and she was a scuba diver so she understands both type of diving.