Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gozo 2013 Tim & Arthur at last.

This will be a blog for the next week on Gozo, 2.6.2013, all being well I will post some of my shots and Arthurs, maybe Pete Bullen PeeBee, will contribute.
    A little history may be in order to fully appreciate future references.
    Winter 2011-12 Arthur (a good mate even though an accountant) came round to dinner, towards the end of this I believed we were going to Gozo in the summer after he had finished measuring sailing boats for the Olympics. At this time he was committed but was not totally sure of the dates. As anyone who had anything to do with papering over the cracks of the Great Spectacle will know this was an inauspicious start! In the event Arthur's commitment was such that he was unable to join Pete and myself in a great week messing about with bits of electronics underwater. We fly out tomorrow night, we should arrive at Moby dives about 0400 hrs (Arthur booked the flights, Pete arranged the taxis, the ferry is in the lap of the gods of Gozo). The good thing is that for a second time having purchased Sport Allowance from Air Malta I don't have any worries about luggage allowance. This allows me to include as well as an Ikelite DSLR housing (with a density approaching that of a small Black Hole.) such probably unnecessary items as a set of twinning bands. Arthur also has this luxury and is still wondering whether to be a Macho Man and dive wet or bring his dry suit and become like a early Japanese reality show contestant filling his dry suit with sweat as he approaches the waters edge.
    One quick shot from last year may whet the appetite to follow this odyssey for those of a bizzare turn of mind.

Follow this space for more adventures of the Camelot Two and the Maltese Spider.
    Merlin
    Last edited by Tim Digger; 30-05-2013 at 06:22 PM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Have fun guys, I'm sure you will. Great photo, Tim - as ever.

Dive tart, and 'tog Pete Bullen's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Saturday morning I get to find out if the mythical Arthur really exists.

Looking forward to it guys
    Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
    Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
    http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Established TDF Member ChristianG's Avatar
    Terrigal, a tad less than 100km north of Sydney, Oz
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Have fun guys.

Oh, have lots of fun, Sue!!! Bluhddy hell, that was very nearly a huge boo boo!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Journey and Arrival

So yesterday the mythical Arthur and I did a mornings work and set off up the rather sluggishly moving M6 to the fabled city of Manchester where a small but powerful flying steed was to bear us to the magical isle in the sun near the journeys end of the Great Ulysses. I the event we slummed around Manchester Airport where they give you a free 30mins WiFi internet and were herded onto the Air Malta flight early, take off was five minute ahead of schedule. We started to hope that the improbability of making the 1.30am ferry to Gozo might just happen, and we might get a few hours sleep before our reception by the Maltese Spider at Moby Dives in the morning. The previous few weeks have been dominated by strings being gently pulled from the island of Gozo to bring out items of dive and photo kit purchased from fellow forum members and arrange to delivery of same back in England on return. (joking apart happy to oblige Pete).
    Feelings of optimism over a nights sleep reached a high when we realised that the speed we were going (tail wind or a pilot with a hot date in Valetta) we were going to land early. The mythical Arthur spent the flight chatting up a young 80 year old lady in the next seat but rarther sadly fell asleep with her in full flow about the wedding she was to attend.
    We landed early and were ejected into Arrivals a scant 10minutes after touchdown. Our transport awaited and we hurtled at high speed down the byways (no high ways) of Malta to the 13.30 Gozo ferry. Great it was still there: and remained so until 14.15 when having been boarded by locals returning from a night out in Malta (and the pilot of our plane, his high speed return to Malta explained, he wanted a night in bed at home on Gozo) it finally set sail. 15 minutes later we were met by George with a minibus which shot down streets with potholes in the dark that were too narrow for 2 vehicles and finally disgorged us at 3am (one hour earlier than our wildest dreams outside a very quiet Moby Dives.
    No problem the Maltese Spider had given us a number to ring to arouse Mark the proprietor from his slumbers in case he was not awaitng our arrival. Eventually Merlins electronic wand latches on to the local phone network. The magic number is dialed,........ and again,........ and again, a voice answewrs over the ether. "Is that Mark?" "no you got the wrong number and it's silly o clock why are you ringing" an understandably gruff voice. It's the Maltese Spidger obliged to answer Sue's phone at 3am having emailed the wrong contact number to Tim. A classic Own Goal. He then phoned Mark, and noise and movement are heard from the appartements above. Shortly after we collapse gratefully into sleep in a spacious first floor apartement to rise about 0930 to find Pete has arrived and with him his daughter and friend just finished their degrees in London. So we not only get to dive with Pete but with two lovely young ladies prepared to model for us.
    After a check dive in the lovely bay of Xlendi we go for a long shallow macro dive in some Sea Grass beds full of juvenile sea bream and small wrase of several species the health of these beds is astonishing and goes a long way to explaining how thw Maltese fishing fleet can continue to catch enough fish to support their tourist industry.

The only missing character is Bob whose boisterous nature has resulted in an injury keeping him out of the water, he may be allowed to join us tommorrow.
    More then.
    Merlin

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The wind that plagued Ulysses and brought him to Circe's island is with us and strong enough to prevent diving with cameras in many of the classic dive spots around the island. The water at 19 deg is just OK for Merlin in a 4mm shorty under a 7mm one piece plus a hooded vest, Arthur has his magical cloak (drysuit) but carries more lead. We visit the Carwellan this morning and finish up on the reef in shore where a confused Tube Worm is hanging out in the surge and so does not notice the approach of the camera, always wondered how to take a close focus wide angle shot of these as I cannot normally sneak close enough to them. In the entrace of the Carwellan the idea of long exposure with minimal flash fails to impress, speed of movement of divers being too slow for interesting effects at 1 sec exposure but hey nothing ventured.
    Arthur gets instruction from Pete in Lightroom magic having looked at two possible dive sites.

And finally the prettiest wrasse from the sea grass beds yesterday.

Merlin

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bob?

Never mind the diving, how's Bob?

The happiest diver on Gozo :o) ScubaSue's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianG View Post
    Never mind the diving, how's Bob?
    There's an advertiser gremlin at work at the moment so Pete can't answer.

Bob is Bob, he's got more than enough dinks to last us a while at the moment, he's off to see his favourite vet again tomorrow
    The happiest diver on Gozo

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaSue View Post
    Bob is Bob, he's got more than enough dinks to last us a while at the moment, he's off to see his favourite vet again tomorrow
    That, to me, doesn't sound good. If he's anything like me he doesn't really like going to the doctor. Please keep me/us posted Sue.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Too all fans of Bob apolgies for failing to up date. He is fine and pulled me round Xlendi today. He has a nssty cut on his leg but it doesn't slow him down.
    Tim Digger

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast