Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Im currently seeking investors for my new and improved underwater cattle prod (compliant with EU 1099/2009, CE, and NORSOK). So far I've done 3 drawings on a blackboard and as soon as I can transfer to pdf, I'll contact all interested parties.

In the interim I find the combination of those annoying scuba rattles, some KY and a love for dark restricted places helpful

A shit diver is a shit diver, theres a lot of them around. If they're still doing that at instructor level, it probably says more about the system than anything else.
    Last edited by ebt; 28-05-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Instructional Standards, or Rather Lack Of...

Quote Originally Posted by ebt View Post
    A shit diver is a shit diver, theres a lot of them around. If they're still doing that at instructor level, it probably says more about the system than anything else.
    If there are consistent failures of a similar type at the user level it is not the user that is at fault, it is the system.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Gareth

www.imagesoflife.co.uk - Underwater Print Sales, Teaching and Stock Library
    www.cognitas.org.uk - Improving Safety by Challenging Current Practices
    www.divingincidents.org - Diving Incident and Safety Management System (DISMS)
    - 2014 Report here

“Set your expectations high; find men and women whose integrity and values you respect; get their agreement on a course of action; and give them your ultimate trust.”

“It is far better to be trusted and respected than it is to be liked.”

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOC View Post
    If there are consistent failures of a similar type at the user level it is not the user that is at fault, it is the system.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    looking at this from an (ex) PADI instructor point of view - i think there are huge flaws in the system.

If a PADI instructor is crap - who is to know? Student divers, particularly open water divers - have nothing on which to base their views. They can't easily report an instructor as rubbish, and sadly, many of these divers are lost to the sport.

The system that PADI uses to allow qualification to instruct is based on a divers ability to perform certain skills, to control a group of individuals who are reasonably experienced, and to be able to recite a lesson plan. There simply is nothing that challenges, and nothing that assesses an individuals ability to deal with a *real* problem, and nothing that tests real diving skills.

fwiw, my guess is that this was not a PADI instructor - simply because DSMB use is not taught as part of any entry level course. Some instructors include it in AOW, which is risky in itself, as the PADI view is that it could be task loading, and could cause problems.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was probably a BSAC instructor. I am sure I had to do "freefall onto a GUE instructor" to get signed off as Sports Diver!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If I saw a bootless pair of 12s hovering above a platform in a quarry with GARF down the sides, I'd plummet like a brick too and hopefully grind my crotch into his mask.

Well if I didn't before I will now

Be very afraid and I suggest some sort of glove mounted mirror to check what's about to billy-fcuk you in the face...
    Views expressed here are my own and are not representative of any organisation. If you would like an official reply, I suggest you ask the question on a website the organisation is responsible for, or contact them directly using the phone.
    https://www.facebook.com/BSACChairmanWoz/

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderTheSea View Post
    Sounds about right to me. I've nothing particularly against it, just haven't experienced it as a BSAC standard like some earlier posts suggested. Might try it one day if I remember to.

Take a look at Sports Diver Theory Lecture 3:

METHODS OF DEPLOYMENT
    There are two basic methods of deployment:

Secured deployment
    Is used when the buoy is to be released before starting the ascent and where there is a suitable object to which to secure the reel before deploying the DSMB. Once secured, the buoy can be substantially inflated before the reel is unlocked allowing the buoy to ascend. Because of the rate at which a fully inflated buoy will ascend, it should only be sufficiently inflated so that the expanding gas will fully inflate it just before it reaches the surface. Clearly, the shallower the water, the more the buoy will need to be inflated to achieve this. The advantage of this method is that the buoyancy of the DSMB has no effect on the divers own buoyancy.

Free deployment
    Where there is no suitable object to which the reel can be secured, it will be necessary to hold the reel while also inflating the buoy. In this case, until the DSMB is released, its buoyancy will have an impact on the diver holding it and control of this becomes important. It is also essential to ensure that, prior to inflating the DSMB, there is no loose line that can snag any of the diver's equipment and result in the diver being subject to a rapid and uncontrolled ascent
    When deploying the DSMB prior to commencing the ascent is not possible, then free deployment is possible in mid-water. Maintaining a constant depth while deploying a DSMB is a very high workload task for which extremely good buoyancy control and continual practice are essential.
    So yes secured deployment is taught in BSAC as other posts have stated...........
    Duct Tape is like "The Force". It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Some instructors can maintain acceptable buoyancy on their day off too

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDiver View Post
    Take a look at Sports Diver Theory Lecture 3:

So yes secured deployment is taught in BSAC as other posts have stated...........
    Didn't say it wasn't, just said in practice it hasn't been demonstrated and isn't the normal method we use in club. Ive never seen it used. You learn from what you see and experience as normal practice. I read some posts as implying it was the normal BSAC method and all I'm saying is 'not in our club'. No rights or wrongs implied. I quite like the methods Woz described. There's another method there I've never experienced - sharing the deployment with someone else.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitlow View Post
    Some instructors can maintain acceptable buoyancy on their day off too

That's cheating, you're on a CCR, stable in the water column, of course you're not going anywhere

Nice trim though

Regards
    Gareth

www.imagesoflife.co.uk - Underwater Print Sales, Teaching and Stock Library
    www.cognitas.org.uk - Improving Safety by Challenging Current Practices
    www.divingincidents.org - Diving Incident and Safety Management System (DISMS)
    - 2014 Report here

“Set your expectations high; find men and women whose integrity and values you respect; get their agreement on a course of action; and give them your ultimate trust.”

“It is far better to be trusted and respected than it is to be liked.”

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    If I saw a bootless pair of 12s hovering above a platform in a quarry with GARF down the sides, I'd plummet like a brick too and hopefully grind my crotch into his mask.
    And so the sport of GUE instructor rodeo is born....
    The back up bungee can be used to hang on and as it throttles the mount they will start bucking even more. The longest ride wins. The use of spurs is frowned upon due to the risk of puncturing a drysuit. Obviously that would be taking things too far...
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast