Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cuba: Any suggestions?

Hi
    I am going to Cuba this summer. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to dive/not dive?
    Who to dive with?
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks
    Brian

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm going too. We're stopping in Varadero and if be very interested in details of decent dive operations.

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Here in the Clamp household the main choice for our winter holiday was the Caribbean but where did we want to go? We buttoned it down to either Tobago or Cuba. Cuba won, mainly so I could improve my very rusty Spanish. All this together with the fact that neither Sue nor I had been there before, although I had been sailing by Cuba in a Royal Navy Anti-submarine Frigate during 1962 when the Cuban missile crisis between USSR and USA was kicking off. President JFK instigated a sea embargo on the island and luckily the Russians backed off not that our mighty one gun frigate could have done a lot to help, even if we had been asked. Eventually we ended up alongside in our base in Bermuda and all was well (phew!).

Cayo Largo, Cuba with the International Diving Centre and the Scuba Place - British Sub-Aqua Club

Established TDF Member Markymark75's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd get in touch with Dianne Williams at scuba en cuba, and discuss what you want, she can tailor make the trip to meet your needs.

Scuba en Cuba offers diving holidays to Cuba, Cozumel, Baja California Mexico, the Seychelles, Tobago, Croatia and St Kitts- Scuba en Cuba Home Page

Personally I'd recommend the isle of youth, which has a protected marine reserve, and a really nice 43m dive (assuming you're qualified for it).

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the advice

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

diving (or not) in Cuba

I wrote this article from our club trip in 2012 if it is of any help to you
    Diving (or not!) in Cuba - British Sub-Aqua Club

Really I think you can treat the diving as a holiday activity but go to see the country - do not think of it as a diving holiday. All our divers wanted more time in Havana.