Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3598 of 3660 FirstFirst ... 259830983498354835883596359735983599360036083648 ... LastLast
Results 35,971 to 35,980 of 36596
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    With a rucksack?
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Established TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    It could have been carried there by a migratory bird - a swallow perhaps.
    African or European swallow?

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    Gardening weirdness: I planted various beans in piles of tyres last year, including the giant white beans that you get in Tapas - I was dubious they'd survive, as they're mostly grown in places like Cyprus. Not only did they grow well, but I've just found a stash of pods in a mouse nest with perfect dried beans inside and the plants have left overwintering tubers which are beginning to shoot again!

I also found a new conker tree in the ground under the wood store, coming from a full size fresh conker. The nearest tree is half a mile away as the very fit crow flies. I guess it has to be a rook, no squirrel is going to bother going that far. The walnut tree that appeared a couple of years back remains a mystery - no trees in the nearest 3 villages AFAIK.
    I have found broken hazel nut shells in my garden. No idea where the nearest tree is. Could have come from a supermarket though.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I have found broken hazel nut shells in my garden. No idea where the nearest tree is. Could have come from a supermarket though.
    Effing grey squirrels.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    Effing grey squirrels.
    None in Sainsburys yesterday. (There were ostrich steaks though)
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We threw the remains of our Christmas nuts out for the squirrels (we have 5 including an albino). How far are you from the south East?
    The artiste formerly known as Spacehopper

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Today, I got to watch some of the 'staff' doing a boat safety refresher course (for want of a better word), with a rowing boat, in the staff car park, at least 100m from any water.
    Not that long ago, they did a ladder competency for volunteers, where nobody went up a ladder.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    When we had this house built 7 years ago, we specified the make and model of all the internal door handles. The understairs cupboard door is just a push to close / pull to open affair so the builder fitted a small knob. Mrs H asked me a couple of years ago to fit one of our spare handles so it matched everything else in the house. Which I did. Ten minutes ago she gave me another spare handle and said "this is the handle that I want fitting to that cupboard." "Which cupboard, this one here?". Oh..... Two years she's been using that cupboard with that handle on it.
    Tsk...

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    Today, I got to watch some of the 'staff' doing a boat safety refresher course (for want of a better word), with a rowing boat, in the staff car park, at least 100m from any water.
    Not that long ago, they did a ladder competency for volunteers, where nobody went up a ladder.
    When I did a short stint as a yard foreman with a scaffolding company, I had to do a training course on how to use a saw. Not a chainsaw, not a power saw, but a bog standard hand held rip saw! I still have the certificate somewhere.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    When I did a short stint as a yard foreman with a scaffolding company, I had to do a training course on how to use a saw. Not a chainsaw, not a power saw, but a bog standard hand held rip saw! I still have the certificate somewhere.
    It is quite possible that an employee injured whilst arsing about would have sued on the basis they had not been trained to use the tool. To stop such nonsense the company introduce a training system. One of my staff got a fair pay out from my insurers as he had "not been trained" to use a weigh scale.

Most of the urban myths about health and safety are actually the bullshit from insurance claims. It is (I believe) worse in the US.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.