Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3547 of 3615 FirstFirst ... 254730473447349735373545354635473548354935573597 ... LastLast
Results 35,461 to 35,470 of 36147
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    3Kw (?) Dimplex radiant wall heater c/w pull cord located over the bath and next to the shower head. Connected to a 2 wire (no earth), bathroom lighting circuit. The wiring was a bit crisp to say the least and all of the insulation fell off the wiring as I pulled it out of the cavity.

Rgds

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by wibble32 View Post
    3Kw (?) Dimplex radiant wall heater c/w pull cord located over the bath and next to the shower head. Connected to a 2 wire (no earth), bathroom lighting circuit. The wiring was a bit crisp to say the least and all of the insulation fell off the wiring as I pulled it out of the cavity.

Rgds
    You'll need to check the fuse/circuit breaker on that lighting circuit then - it's supposed to be 6 Amp, which would blow if a 3kW heater was connected (13 Amp draw), so your previous bodger may have replaced the fuse with something unsuitable (like a nail!)
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    You'll need to check the fuse/circuit breaker on that lighting circuit then - it's supposed to be 6 Amp, which would blow if a 3kW heater was connected (13 Amp draw), so your previous bodger may have replaced the fuse with something unsuitable (like a nail!)
    Scary some things. A painful job to replace the lighting circuit wiring, and check out any other potential bodges.
    The location of the wall heater is very suspect. What does the code say about location and spec of equipment for bathrooms?

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    Scary some things. A painful job to replace the lighting circuit wiring, and check out any other potential bodges.
    The location of the wall heater is very suspect. What does the code say about location and spec of equipment for bathrooms?
    Zone 1 - that's to do with the London underground isn't it?

IP ratings - Is that the computer network?
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Went into an industrial unit to collect a machine.
    Guy throws isolator on wall, opens door, inserts screwdriver; and blows the main fuse on the distribution board.

I look at the isolator, and realise that the feed is to the blades, so when the machine is isolated, and the isolator box opened: the switch blades in open air, are live at 400V three phase, on a 16 amp circuit.

My last electrical inspection, I got a C1 (danger of death) for a blanking plate missing inside a distribution board, behind a locked door.
    Same spark replaced the wiring on my bandsaw, and wired direct to the motor, skipping the on/off switch and E stop.
    There are a couple of other "issues" that we are due to discuss.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post

My last electrical inspection, I got a C1 (danger of death) for a blanking plate missing inside a distribution board, behind a locked door.
    Inside electrical cabinets things are supposed to be finger proof. That’s why there’s a European standard finger!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    Inside electrical cabinets things are supposed to be finger proof. That’s why there’s a European standard finger!
    Mea Culpa.

The cabinet has a door on it, was mounted nearly head height and was on the far side of a machine, that put it beyond arms reach.

There are far easier ways of killing yourself in my place; would probably make more mess and hurt a bit though: would also require just as much of a deliberate act.

Cost me 2.60 to fix, the 1900 of other works that were required, mainly related to replacing a board that had asbestos flashguards in it and other parts of the installation, that pre-date our tenancy.

The inspection cost over 2k and took four days, then I had to work out what and where things had been isolated from, clean up the tube that was smashed over the top of one machine, and the light fitting that stopped working after they tested it.
    Last edited by jamesp; 18-01-2022 at 03:59 PM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    Removed the rewireable and installed a 20Amp breaker what is not to like. Those old Wylex boards were a doddle.
    Rgds

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Mea Culpa.

The cabinet has a door on it, was mounted nearly head height and was on the far side of a machine, that put it beyond arms reach.

There are far easier ways of killing yourself in my place; would probably make more mess and hurt a bit though: would also require just as much of a deliberate act.

Cost me 2.60 to fix, the 1900 of other works that were required, mainly related to replacing a board that had asbestos flashguards in it and other parts of the installation, that pre-date our tenancy.

The inspection cost over 2k and took four days, then I had to work out what and where things had been isolated from, clean up the tube that was smashed over the top of one machine, and the light fitting that stopped working after they tested it.
    Was sent to work on a machine at a customers site. The guy there wanted me to modify the controls to help protect the machine if the power failed. Said I liked my fingers too much and wiggled them at him. Looked down at his hands and one finger was missing with a red stump. Didn’t get asked that again.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The first house I did up was a triumph. I put 12V under-cabinet lights in the kitchen but there was nowhere convenient to put the transformer so I chased a hole in the wall (the plaster was about 2 inches thick), put it in that, fired a load of polyfilla in it and then tiled over it. Worked a treat. OK, there was a mysterious mains cable coming out of the wall and plugged into a socket but you can't have everything.

Electricity goes in circles, water and gas in straight lines. What else do you need?
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England