Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3545 of 3615 FirstFirst ... 254530453445349535353543354435453546354735553595 ... LastLast
Results 35,441 to 35,450 of 36147
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If it makes you feel any better, we carried a tv upstairs to stop me walking into it all the time and discovered that the landing was covered in black mould. Some time up a ladder later, 2 flat roofs over dormer windows are screwed to the extent that the whole windows and parts of the main roof need replacing.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    One of the dogs (the hairy one naturally) rolled in some fox poo this morning on our walk rendering her totally toxic and necessitating a B A T H. Slung her in the shower and got to work with the shampoo. The hair from the dog clogged the drain so I had to clean out the trap. In clearing the trap I washed the shampoo residue out which blocked the sink. I then had to dismantle the sink trap to clear it of all kinds of horrors. I feel like the Flanders and Swann song about the gas man! 2 hours later relative calm is restored but the washing machine is on overload washing the towels I had to use to catch all the water.
    We have that problem with a couple of our dogs. However they get washed outside with a thing called a Mud Daddy - fill it with water, pressurise and wash the dog down using the spray / brush head. They even get warm water. Rinse off with a watering can - again, because we are occasionally nice, warm water in winter but cool water on hot days. Tomato sauce is also good for rubbing in and eliminating the worst of smells prior to the wash process.

Link here
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    I feel like the Flanders and Swann song about the gas man!
    Sheer genius
    https://genius.com/Flanders-and-swan...-cometh-lyrics

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, we carried a tv upstairs to stop me walking into it all the time and discovered that the landing was covered in black mould. Some time up a ladder later, 2 flat roofs over dormer windows are screwed to the extent that the whole windows and parts of the main roof need replacing.
    Yep, been there. Scratch away some plaster to remove a crack. Hunks of plaster fall to the ground. Remove loose plaster and discover the mortar is shot. Dig away at the mortar and find the bricks are loose.......
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Yep, been there. Scratch away some plaster to remove a crack. Hunks of plaster fall to the ground. Remove loose plaster and discover the mortar is shot. Dig away at the mortar and find the bricks are loose.......
    That's the problem with our house - the cement render over the breeze block must have been about a 30:1 mix. Removing wallpaper caused about a metere square chunk to fall off when we redecorated the staircase.

We've also had a couple of years when every domestic appliance has failed - fridge/freezer, washing machine, tumble drier, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, PVR and now the cooker last week. Keeping our fingers crossed that our 14 year old TV keeps going.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    That's the problem with our house - the cement render over the breeze block must have been about a 30:1 mix. Removing wallpaper caused about a metere square chunk to fall off when we redecorated the staircase.

We've also had a couple of years when every domestic appliance has failed - fridge/freezer, washing machine, tumble drier, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, PVR and now the cooker last week. Keeping our fingers crossed that our 14 year old TV keeps going.
    Cement? You're lucky. Mine seems to be coarse grit and stones held together with spit. The internal "plaster" is mainly horse hair! And as for the lathe and plaster ceilings.......don't get me started on that.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We live in cardboard box in't middle of road. Our house is roughly 400 years old and some idiot put concrete render all over the outside in the 1980s. Sometimes bits of it shear off. Somebody also built an extension out the back over a thatched roof, it's still under the floorboards.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    One thing we have learnt the hard (and expensive) way is not to buy a house that has been extended by accountants. Rarely have I seen so many examples of people knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing. For example armoured cable counts as armoured cable if you put the power cable in an old hosepipe. A power cable going under a drive don’t need the protection of a hosepipe. Floors in bathrooms don’t need 10mm marine ply, 7mm ordinary ply is fine. Insulation from strips of old towels and newspaper is better than that cheap foam purpose made insulation. Gas pipes are best left covered by 2mm of plaster when running behind a hot stove and into the chimney space. There is no need to have a fireproof barriers around gas flues - plasterboard is fine. Cellars don’t need ventilation.

Some “features” could have been picked up if the survey had been anal but most were hidden. We enter each job in the house with a certain level of trepidation, wondering how they cut corners on this job - to be fair, they were very imaginative.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    We live in cardboard box in't middle of road. Our house is roughly 400 years old and some idiot put concrete render all over the outside in the 1980s. Sometimes bits of it shear off. Somebody also built an extension out the back over a thatched roof, it's still under the floorboards.
    "Well I say house but it is really just some sticks covered in mud, but it is a house to us."
    Paul.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    "Well I say house but it is really just some sticks covered in CONCRETE, but it is a house to us."
    Pay attention!
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger