Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3494 of 3505 FirstFirst ... 24942994339434443484349234933494349534963504 ... LastLast
Results 34,931 to 34,940 of 35044
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian@1904 View Post
    I have been retired for just over a year. It has been the second best decision I have ever made. While we had been building up the funds over many years the decision to retire came extremely abruptly when my big boss at the time insisted he was right about a certain issue, and me with my thirty years of experience on the matter concerned was hopelessly wrong. Two days later I was proved right. After a Team meeting that my wife sat in on, (unbeknown to my big boss), I turned round to her and said that I didn't want to do this anymore. My beloved said, said "Great, let's go for it". We checked the numbers with an IFA and two weeks later I quit giving four weeks notice. Maximum inconvenience to my bosses and sweet FA they could do about it.
    I have been giving much consideration to doing similar. I think the numbers are OK, IFA currently checking options. A chat with someone tonight might lead to a different option, but it will probably have to be very good to be tempting, especially as it could be a frying pan to fire issue. Pretty sure I don't need that.
    Mah Nà Mah Nà

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Guernsey View Post
    As someone who is self-employed, retirement is unlikely to happen. I might slow down a bit in my final few years.
    We all slow down in the end...............
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's more of a sudden stop...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We had a belated small family gathering to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. My daughter-in-law had a cake made by one of her nursing colleagues who is a keen baker. Amazing attention to detail!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I had all the dive gear spread out on the lawn yesterday with 4 wetsuits hung over the gate. Little old lady came to drop her cat off, looked at it all and said 'Oh, do you do a lot of horse riding?'
    'No, I've just been diving'
    'Oh, I thought those (points at wetsuits) were modern jodhpurs. Where did you go?'
    'Norfolk'
    'Oh, you should go to France. My son (points at man in car who is trying to hide) dives in France all the time. Where is it in France you go Piers?'
    'Majorca'.

argh
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    'Oh, you should go to France. My son (points at man in car who is trying to hide) dives in France all the time. Where is it in France you go Piers?'
    'Majorca'.

argh
    Well it was all part of Catalunya at one stage. Maybe pre 1714!
    Last edited by Tim Digger; 31-07-2021 at 04:00 PM.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    I had all the dive gear spread out on the lawn yesterday with 4 wetsuits hung over the gate. Little old lady came to drop her cat off, looked at it all and said 'Oh, do you do a lot of horse riding?'
    'No, I've just been diving'
    'Oh, I thought those (points at wetsuits) were modern jodhpurs. Where did you go?'
    'Norfolk'
    'Majorca'.

argh
    It is always a calming thing to reflect that these people have a vote and hold the future of our species in their hands.
    We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Democracy, when two idiots can outvote one genius.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member nigel hewitt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Democracy, when two idiots can outvote one genius.
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Helium, because I'm worth it.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dog lying on our bed this morning, chewing something. She normally drops it when I say the word "drop." But she didn't. Prized it from her jaws and tried to identify it. A bit woolly; pouch shaped; inch or so across. The big give-away was the orange rubber band at one end. Yes, we have lambs.......