Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3475 of 3495 FirstFirst ... 24752975337534253465347334743475347634773485 ... LastLast
Results 34,741 to 34,750 of 34941
    Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    That's why we invested in a load of new camping gear - it's the only way we could afford to go away for a weekend's diving.
    That's why I have a campervan.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Getting ready for the Cropredy music festival in August. I have just bought a new sleeping mat that should give me a nice warm comfortable nights sleep. The tent is my daughter’s from when she walked a largish lump of the Silk Route some years ago but which still in good condition and I will be using my newish sleeping bag from Decathlon. Cooking will be done on an ancient petrol stove from when I first started to get my gear together to go around the world by motorbike. Cooking utensils will be a kettle and mug for tea - food is going to be cereal and hot meals from the burger vans. I will be shaking down the equipment over the next couple of years or so to make sure that the kit is the right stuff for my trip - just a delay of 30 years - total cost around 200 spread of three decades.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    Getting ready for the Cropredy music festival in August. I have just bought a new sleeping mat that should give me a nice warm comfortable nights sleep. The tent is my daughter’s from when she walked a largish lump of the Silk Route some years ago but which still in good condition and I will be using my newish sleeping bag from Decathlon. Cooking will be done on an ancient petrol stove from when I first started to get my gear together to go around the world by motorbike. Cooking utensils will be a kettle and mug for tea - food is going to be cereal and hot meals from the burger vans. I will be shaking down the equipment over the next couple of years or so to make sure that the kit is the right stuff for my trip - just a delay of 30 years - total cost around 200 spread of three decades.
    If you have a "white gas" camping stove you can make many one saucepan meals without going near a burger van with the extorted prices. Have had many holidays in USA sleeping in a 2 person pup tent and cooking on a very basic stove using one saucepan and a camp kettle. Also done this in Europe, so currently looking for a very back to basics holiday on Isle of Portland
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post
    If you have a "white gas" camping stove you can make many one saucepan meals without going near a burger van with the extorted prices. Have had many holidays in USA sleeping in a 2 person pup tent and cooking on a very basic stove using one saucepan and a camp kettle. Also done this in Europe, so currently looking for a very back to basics holiday on Isle of Portland
    It is amazing what can be achieved with one pan and a kettle if you use a bit of ingenuity. Some carbs (rice/pasta), some meat/veg (from wherever you are that day) and a few herbs (which will take virtually no space if careful). Quick search - link

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The problem with petrol stoves is the fuel contaminating your foodstuff whilst travelling. I would go for gas every time.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    The problem with petrol stoves is the fuel contaminating your foodstuff whilst travelling. I would go for gas every time.
    I happen to have a sod off big tank for carrying the fuel around in between my legs. Also, I can get petrol everywhere I will be going whereas gas is too hit or miss to go that route. As far as contaminating the food the stove will be carried on a different part of the bike to the larder - it will be alongside bike spares and the kettle.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    It is amazing what can be achieved with one pan and a kettle if you use a bit of ingenuity. Some carbs (rice/pasta), some meat/veg (from wherever you are that day) and a few herbs (which will take virtually no space if careful). Quick search - link
    At the end of the day a little ingenuity will suffice. That and a can of tuna in oil. So the no stove recipe for tuna and pasta is as follows:

Open a can of tuna in oil - remove the lid completely but leave the oil and tuna in the can
    Put a couple of sheets of (unused) toilet paper onto the top of the can
    Put the can in between three rocks
    Put a can of tinned tomatos into a pan and add the pasta and add salt / seasoning to taste and a little water
    Put the pan over the tuna can resting on the rocks
    Light the paper that has soaked up some of the oil from the tuna
    Wait for the tomato / seasoning / pasta to cook through
    When the pasta is cooked take the pan off the heat and remove the paper
    Stir the tuna into the pasta and sauce
    Eat
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    From what I remember of the fields at Cropredy you could consider whether cowpats are a good fuel source.
    (the same caveat about fuel contaminating your foodstuff applies)

Have fun. I went to Cropredy for many years, Wickham more recently, but not this year as my music buddy will be moving house.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Oh oh, I may have made a little mistake. I have ordered some parts for my camper on-line not knowing they will be coming from Germany. All seems to be going well and they have been dispatched, but now I don't know whether I will become another victim of the dreaded brexit. Will they get get through customs in time for me to re-build the brakes before winter arrives?
    Paul.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The government has just given me a 10 voucher! It is free, gratis, no charge. I wonder how much it will cost me?
    Paul.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I happen to have a sod off big tank for carrying the fuel around in between my legs. Also, I can get petrol everywhere I will be going whereas gas is too hit or miss to go that route. As far as contaminating the food the stove will be carried on a different part of the bike to the larder - it will be alongside bike spares and the kettle.

At the end of the day a little ingenuity will suffice. That and a can of tuna in oil. So the no stove recipe for tuna and pasta is as follows:

Open a can of tuna in oil - remove the lid completely but leave the oil and tuna in the can
    Put a couple of sheets of (unused) toilet paper onto the top of the can
    Put the can in between three rocks
    Put a can of tinned tomatos into a pan and add the pasta and add salt / seasoning to taste and a little water
    Put the pan over the tuna can resting on the rocks
    Light the paper that has soaked up some of the oil from the tuna
    Wait for the tomato / seasoning / pasta to cook through
    When the pasta is cooked take the pan off the heat and remove the paper
    Stir the tuna into the pasta and sauce
    Eat
    Fair enough, I forgot you were going to strange foreign places.
    By the way, I hope this is the last time you boast to me about what you have between your legs!

Burning tuna oil and toilet paper! I think I will give that a miss.
    Anyway, I can't stand tinned fish in oil. If the gods had meant fish to have oil, they would have given them dip sticks.
    Paul.