Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3405 of 3494 FirstFirst ... 240529053305335533953403340434053406340734153455 ... LastLast
Results 34,041 to 34,050 of 34934
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    I think low profile makes it worse - lots of cars stuck on Putney Hill yesterday in the snow; its not that steep but they had zero traction. Generally late model GTi Golf etc with massive wheels
    Yes but also the driving technique of GTi drivers, foot to the floor! To take into account.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    Trying some sails on lockdown project 2 "Spellbound", but the working conditions leave a lot to be desired. ...

Looks nice. Unusual arrangement of gaff rigged mainsail and bermuda mizzen, but if it works.

How big is that one? It looks quite large.

Your last pond yacht post inspired me to buy one from ebay, so I might be asking for advice about adding radio controls.
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    Looks nice. Unusual arrangement of gaff rigged mainsail and bermuda mizzen, but if it works.

How big is that one? It looks quite large.

Your last pond yacht post inspired me to buy one from ebay, so I might be asking for advice about adding radio controls.
    It came to me looking like this .....

I have no idea why a 50" long Marblehead Class sloop was being turned into a ketch but I decided to follow through. (Hey, what else is there to do in Lockdown).
    Besides, this hull dates from the early 70s and I think it's racing days are behind it. The main mast is 1.3m tall and the keel is 35cm deep. The keel weight is 3.6kg of solid lead. It will, of course, be radio controlled. The rest rides on a whim. And I'm loving learning to make sails on an old 60's electric singer. There's a lot more to it than just random cloth shapes.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    I think low profile makes it worse - lots of cars stuck on Putney Hill yesterday in the snow; its not that steep but they had zero traction. Generally late model GTi Golf etc with massive wheels
    The situation has not been helped historically by insurance companies who adopted the attitude that winter tyres were "non standard" and hence charged a premium for cars with them despite the car being safer! Thankfully this has changed in recent years.

The overall situation would be helped if we adopted a similar position to some other nations where winter tyres are either mandatory or encouraged via either reduced insurance costs/loans (as in some provinces in Canada) and storage is available for the removed set while not in use. While winter tyres might not be an absolute requirement here (given the proportion of mild winters we normally have) all season tyres might be a good compromise in a lot of areas and could be incentivised instead. I wonder if more people might choose all seasons if manufacturers gave an option at initial purchase.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I believe there are issues with road surface wear with proper winter tyres if there is no protective snow cover, which is us most of the time. Hence the prescription of a time for fitting in most Scandinavian countries. I have had four wheel drive cars (not SUVs) for the last 25years and would not be without it. Its a bit like my FIL used to say (he was in army engineers in India) "An elephant is expensive until you need it, then, nothing else will do!"
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    The situation has not been helped historically by insurance companies who adopted the attitude that winter tyres were "non standard" and hence charged a premium for cars with them despite the car being safer! Thankfully this has changed in recent years.

The overall situation would be helped if we adopted a similar position to some other nations where winter tyres are either mandatory or encouraged via either reduced insurance costs/loans (as in some provinces in Canada) and storage is available for the removed set while not in use. While winter tyres might not be an absolute requirement here (given the proportion of mild winters we normally have) all season tyres might be a good compromise in a lot of areas and could be incentivised instead. I wonder if more people might choose all seasons if manufacturers gave an option at initial purchase.
    Snow tyres are fantastic. When I lived in Luxembourg I used to run Michelin Alpin. They are quite amazing in the snow. However at €160 a pop they are a bit OTT for the UK. It is also (I agree) a bit OTT to have two sets of wheels (quite normal in Lux). Maybe in West Lothian, but here in the south coast we only get a few days snow and it is pointless really.

All seasons tyres generally are shit. Neither one thing nor the other. A true winter tyre has a softer compound and is noticeably better on cold wet roads than a summer tyre. The latest development has been the new Michelin Cross Climate tyres (summer tyres with a snow grip pattern). I bought a pair for the driven axle on the van, hoping that they would be OK on the wet grass and mud when we take the trials bikes out (car park is a field). I have to say they are very good although in a van size they were not cheap. I liked them so much I bought a pair for the driven axle on the Insignia as well. We have just had our one day of snow and I can report they are good but not quite on a par with the real deal.

I think the insurance thing was an urban myth - I have run snow tyres for years. I understand that some insurance companies can be moronic about stuff but I don't know if it was ever tested in court? Would love to hear if anyone has real world experience of it? I have heard the same about a tow bar even thought the insurance covers towed equipment liability as standard.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Frosty walk - 14 photos I think. Done as a post instead of an album, so not sure what the link will do https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...57924764142874
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes link works even for those of us without FB

Nice pics BTW

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    Frosty walk - 14 photos I think. Done as a post instead of an album, so not sure what the link will do https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...57924764142874
    Nice, you certainly have an eye for little things.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    I believe there are issues with road surface wear with proper winter tyres if there is no protective snow cover, which is us most of the time. Hence the prescription of a time for fitting in most Scandinavian countries. I have had four wheel drive cars (not SUVs) for the last 25years and would not be without it. Its a bit like my FIL used to say (he was in army engineers in India) "An elephant is expensive until you need it, then, nothing else will do!"
    I think that prescription is for snow chains. Winter tyres wear quicker than "normal tyres" so they damage the road surface less - the rubber has a wider working temperature range so is more flexible at low temperatures.

Personally I use snow socks on the car - really good on snow and enables the car to outperform 4x4 cars / tractors on ordinary tyres.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info