Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3353 of 3475 FirstFirst ... 2353285332533303334333513352335333543355336334033453 ... LastLast
Results 33,521 to 33,530 of 34750
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Real Paulus View Post
    4 years in now. Still have one of our original inmates but her older sister didn't settle. Too angry with the world so she moved on after a year with us. Others have come and gone, Some we were sorry to see go, some we thought were keepers but the system had other ideas. Some have driven us to the brink. Really, the brink.
    Currently in addition to Miss 14 years old we have miss's 9 and nearly 11, they are siblings and celebrated their first anniversary with us on Tuesday this week.

Yesterday we signed papers for a Special Guardianship Order for miss 14.

It's all go and I still work full time day/night shifts. I sold a lot of dive gear last year but have retained a full set, packed ready to go at a moment's notice but I'm not anticipating using it, even if we could get abroad! No chance of doing enough diving going forward to regain and maintain some degree of proficiency. Some would say I never did!

And, yes it is all very civillised here now. I've glanced through the active threads and not seen a single ruck! I really thought lock down and travel bans would have brought the worst out in y'all
    As for me, I'm back more active in my first love, Astronomy. There was some overlap with diving and it didn't replace diving. Fostering replaced diving. So I'm playing with telescopes and even imaging. Something I never did while diving. When we get a rare clear night taht is.
    As an aside, what gear are you using for your Astronomy? I'm dipping my toe in with a (very cheap) Nat Geo scope but tempted by an 8" dobsonian (although I would love the ability to motorise it cheaply and easily - it appears that it is only possible to do one or other of these).

I can understand your frustration re clear skies - I think I have had about a dozen in the whole summer.

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    Masters degree results are out. Another 1st Class Honours
    Congratulations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomanic View Post
    Congratulations.
    I would say I am not as thick as I lookbut we know that is a lie
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    Masters degree results are out. Another 1st Class Honours
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Self Defecating The Real Paulus's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    As an aside, what gear are you using for your Astronomy? I'm dipping my toe in with a (very cheap) Nat Geo scope but tempted by an 8" dobsonian (although I would love the ability to motorise it cheaply and easily - it appears that it is only possible to do one or other of these).

I can understand your frustration re clear skies - I think I have had about a dozen in the whole summer.
    I've got a couple or 3 scopes. My old 6.25" Fullerscope's Newtonian, from back in the day. That's visual only and live at out Luxury Cumbrian Villa. I recently picked up a Celestron 127 Mak. Nice for when I fancy a change. My main scope which I've had for 7 years now is a Skywatcher 250PDS - a good old 10" Newt I have a Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro mount which I recently "belt modded".
    Earlier this year I finally got round to dipping my toe into imaging using my Canon 1200D on the 10" Newt using Astrophotography Tool (APT). Early success had me upgrading to guiding with a ZWO ASI120MM guide camera on the Skywatcher 50mm finder and a ASI178MC camera. I tried Astroberry but the RasPi didn't like my gear. So over summer I got a mini PC that I've put Ubuntu on to run KStars/Ekos and PHD2 at the mount. I run it headless via RealVNC so I can control it all at the mount with an Android tablet via WiFi or from the lounge via my Windows laptop on Ethernet.
    But with weather, Summer light nights and gear issues I'm struggling to make progress! There is a real chance I'll put Windows on the mini PC (can dual boot if needed) and get back to APT for a simpler life!

Anyway, too off topic (if there ever was one), so here is a herd of Mantas over a seamount in Fleetwood model yacht lake taken on my last dive...

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We lost the last of our flock of Soay sheep yesterday. She was called Lulu and I hand raised her after she was rejected. She followed the dogs around and was part of the pack until she was large enough to go out with the flock. She was 18 years 6 months old and we were astounded she lived so long (and she still had all her teeth)
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm sorry, any loss is still a loss. We have a small flock near us and they always seem brighter and more interesting than the local wool blobs.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes, it may just be a sheep to some, but after 18 years she must have been a little friend to you.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    I'm sorry, any loss is still a loss. We have a small flock near us and they always seem brighter and more interesting than the local wool blobs.
    I always think the goat type sheep have more character. A bit closer to the wild ones, I suppose.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We have a flock of Hebredians and Shetlands. Our main tup was hand reared (so we didn't eat him). We called him Mash, as in sausage and mash. He slept in a cardboard box in the downstairs loo and I bottle fed him on my knee. He is now huge and is called B***ard and Mrs H won't go in the same field as him as he attacks her. He tried it with me once.......

We plan for lambing in the middle of April and as the gestation period is 147 days, they're getting a bit jittery at the moment, still in their separate fields. B***ard gave me a very funny look this morning.