X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • notdeadyet
    Nicotine, valium, vicodin...
    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Chrisch
    Yeah, xmas grub. For fishing lakes the animals will be way too big I would think. More likely being stolen as specimin fish to take to another fishing lake.
    A Google search for "pole arrested poaching carp" brings up just two results, unsurprisingly the Mail and the Express. And neither actually present any evidence, just speculation. I won't bother linking to either article but I liked this quote from the chair of the Reading Polish Social Club: "The Polish people that I know work and do not have time to fish". That just about sums it up. If anyone is poaching fish, I don't think you have to look much further than our homegrown population. I'm sure it happens but clearly Polish poachers aren't overrunning the country. Sounds like early 20th century black men defiling white women or Jews taking over the banks hysteria. I'm surprised they aren't accusing Somalis or Afghans these days. Slav crime waves are so noughties.
    Last edited by notdeadyet; 30-10-2023, 12:16 PM.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Comment

• Chrisch
      Tofu eating wokerato
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by steelemonkey
      I knew a guy whose lake was practically emptied by poachers on the run up to christmas. Many of the fish were 3-5lb weight. Ideal for a family meal.
      I am sure there is some limited stealing for food items, but it really isn't a very good way to "fence" the fish. Anyone stealing carp will be hoping to sell them into the torture and throw back market. Commercial farming of some carp species has been tried for food but I don't think it has been a feature of the UK market. There are a lot of English people pay huge amounts of money to pit their wits against a big old goldfish.

There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
      With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• jamesp
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by notdeadyet
        I don't know if it is still the case but if you went to Slavic countries in the run up to Christmas you used to see live carp being sold in barrels in the street.
        Or Hong Kong markets.
        Morbidly fascinating watching a fish grabbed out of a barrel, slapped with the flat of a cleaver, descaled with a wire brush; then decapitated and gutted in three moves with a cleaver.

Comment

• Chrisch
          Tofu eating wokerato
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by jamesp
          Or Hong Kong markets.
          Morbidly fascinating watching a fish grabbed out of a barrel, slapped with the flat of a cleaver, descaled with a wire brush; then decapitated and gutted in three moves with a cleaver.
          At least that animal was stunned before being eviscerated. Unlike the unfortunate cod in the local chippie.
          There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.

Comment

• Allan Carr
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

I was at a restaurant in Kong Kong when the chinese group at the next table ordered lobster. A whole lobster was brought in on a platter - and the front end walked off the plate!

Comment

• Tim Digger
              Prior Member
              • Feb 2013

You need a very long Pole to fish for carp!
              Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
              Tim Digger

Comment

• Noggin the Nog
                Hail the Children of LLyr
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Tim Digger
                You need a very long Pole to fish for carp!
                Long enough to go right across the canal and behind you across the towpath so you can cuss at everyone who asks you to effing move it.
                "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Comment

• Spirit of Guernsey
                  Established WTF Member
                  • Dec 2012

I had better get my chainsaw ready.

There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
                  Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

Comment

• Noggin the Nog
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Spirit of Guernsey
                    I had better get my chainsaw ready.

Just beginning to wonder why we're heading down to Poole this morning?

Comment

• Allan Carr
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Noggin the Nog
                      Just beginning to wonder why we're heading down to Poole this morning?
                      Surfing?

Comment

• Noggin the Nog
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Allan Carr
                        Surfing?
                        the Internet kind in my sister's house, watching the storm outside.

Comment

• Chrisch
                          Tofu eating wokerato
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Noggin the Nog
                          the Internet kind in my sister's house, watching the storm outside.
                          Start here https://baileysroofing.co.uk/roof-repairs/

Comment

• Divemouse
                            Pedantic Pig
                            • Dec 2012

I have come off my bike, luckily while going very slowly and misjudging the height of a kerb. Skin removed from fronts and backs of hands, both knees, one elbow, one ankle and an eye socket. Also put a tooth through a lip (just felt it touch the pavement, luckily unbroken). Both knees fully inflated but still seem to have full movement, might have concussion. Bike completely unmarked, I think we must have parted company. Deep scratch in face of dive computer. Piece of gravel wedged into pocket of skin next to my eye, the nurse says it'll push itself back out. She got me with tetanus and flu jabs while I was counting to ten and naming prime ministers. Cannot fault GP practice (unusually), straight in and tidied up in about 10 mins. Absolutely fucked for getting any work done now though, Rob says my hands look like bacon.
                            Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Comment

• steelemonkey
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Divemouse
                              I have come off my bike, luckily while going very slowly and misjudging the height of a kerb. Skin removed from fronts and backs of hands, both knees, one elbow, one ankle and an eye socket. Also put a tooth through a lip (just felt it touch the pavement, luckily unbroken). Both knees fully inflated but still seem to have full movement, might have concussion. Bike completely unmarked, I think we must have parted company. Deep scratch in face of dive computer. Piece of gravel wedged into pocket of skin next to my eye, the nurse says it'll push itself back out. She got me with tetanus and flu jabs while I was counting to ten and naming prime ministers. Cannot fault GP practice (unusually), straight in and tidied up in about 10 mins. Absolutely fucked for getting any work done now though, Rob says my hands look like bacon.
                              You are not having a good time lately, are you.
                              I would recommend a virtual group hug but I value my life too much.
                              Have a nice long hot bath.
                              Paul.
                              If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
                              Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Comment

• steelemonkey
                                Established TDF Member
                                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Divemouse
                                Easy.
                                B@stard, b@stard, b@stard............
                                Paul.
                                If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
                                Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Comment

Working...