Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3452 of 3462 FirstFirst ... 2452295233523402344234503451345234533454 ... LastLast
Results 34,511 to 34,520 of 34619
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by John63 View Post
    Thanks. Have been looking at Galaxy

Any preferences or differences with the Seat? Build quality, reliability etc
    Our Galaxy is a 2010 model. It was our third Galaxy. None of them have given us any problems. My first which I got in 1997 a s a company car did over 130,000 miles with only a wheel bearing as a failure. The Alhambra is a 2017 model. We looked at getting another Galaxy (our Ford dealer has a great service operation) but Ford had changed the way the front seats adjusted. Instead of having a wheel back angle adjustment, you have to pull up on a lever and push with your back. My wife has chronic back problems and she was unable to adjust the seat and that simple change ruled it out unless we went for the Titanium X with electric seats.

My son, who used to sell Mercedes, had a friend who was the sales manager for the local Seat dealer and we got a great deal on the top of the range Alhambra (with electric seats) for more than 7 grand less than the Galaxy Titanium X so it was no contest. The Alhambra, which has a DSG gearbox is really nice to drive. It has powered sliding rear doors and a powered rear door. A really comfortable car. The Alhambra is essentially the same vehicle as the VW Sharan but with a higher spec for less money. You pay a lot extra for the VW badge.

The only drawback we have found with the Alhambra is the dealer's service department which is nowhere near as good as our local Ford dealer. At the last service, they reported water in the fog lights and said they should be replaced at a cost of 182 + VAT. I took off th esurrounding trim and found they have a rubber plug at the bottom in order to drain any water which gets in. Less than 10 minutes to fix!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    Little hint. Speak to a hooman when setting up the account, play hard, and go back and barter/complain shortly before renewal. Amazing what they throw at you to keep you in and meet their targets.
    Im a Yorkshireman whos lived in the Middle East for 20+ yrs. bartering and haggling to get the most for least is in my blood
    Last edited by John63; 19-04-2021 at 09:07 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    Our Galaxy is a 2010 model. It was our third Galaxy. None of them have given us any problems. My first which I got in 1997 a s a company car did over 130,000 miles with only a wheel bearing as a failure. The Alhambra is a 2017 model. We looked at getting another Galaxy (our Ford dealer has a great service operation) but Ford had changed the way the front seats adjusted. Instead of having a wheel back angle adjustment, you have to pull up on a lever and push with your back. My wife has chronic back problems and she was unable to adjust the seat and that simple change ruled it out unless we went for the Titanium X with electric seats.

My son, who used to sell Mercedes, had a friend who was the sales manager for the local Seat dealer and we got a great deal on the top of the range Alhambra (with electric seats) for more than 7 grand less than the Galaxy Titanium X so it was no contest. The Alhambra, which has a DSG gearbox is really nice to drive. It has powered sliding rear doors and a powered rear door. A really comfortable car. The Alhambra is essentially the same vehicle as the VW Sharan but with a higher spec for less money. You pay a lot extra for the VW badge.

The only drawback we have found with the Alhambra is the dealer's service department which is nowhere near as good as our local Ford dealer. At the last service, they reported water in the fog lights and said they should be replaced at a cost of 182 + VAT. I took off th esurrounding trim and found they have a rubber plug at the bottom in order to drain any water which gets in. Less than 10 minutes to fix!
    Thx

Good tip on the seats.

Much difference in space inside / flexibility.

We would probably never ( extremely rarely) have need for 3rd row seats and are looking mainly for space for the beasts so would want fold flat or removable.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We very rarely have a need for three rows of seats but they do occasionally come in useful. Both cars have fold down seats in the back which will give you a completely flat loading bay. We've had a three seater sofa in the back of the Galaxy and you can just about squeeze a 3M length of wood inside it. I haven't tried it in the Alhambra since we normally use the more elderly Galaxy as our cargo lugger. The Alhambra is probably a little smaller inside but there's not much in it.

The suspension on the Alhambra is a bit taughter and holds the road a little better but both cars drive well.

I do like the DSG gearbox on the Alhambra though. It is very smooth and cruise control continues to operate when it changes gear, whereas on the manual Galaxy, changing gear disengages it. The cruise control on the Alhambra is also much easier to operate because you can see what speedit is set at whereas on the Galaxy, you have to be careful not to hit resume when in a 30mph limit when it was set at 70mph. With the proliferation of average speed cameras in the UK these days, cruise control is a real benefit.

The Satnav on the Alhambra is rubbish. We have a top of the range TomTom which we use when hiring cars abroad and that is in a different league to the built-in one.

It all boils down to a matter of personal preference. We like the Alhambra but it it a newer model and top of the range. The Galaxy is a Ghia which is still a reasonable spec. If you are looking at buying new, look at Drive the Deal website, get the best price on there and use it to negotiate a price with a local dealer.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks Allan

All useful info

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by John63 View Post
    For me yes, for Mrs John, no. Sadly
    https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en...addy-life.html
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine French critic and historian (1828-93)

TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    We very rarely have a need for three rows of seats but they do occasionally come in useful. Both cars have fold down seats in the back which will give you a completely flat loading bay. We've had a three seater sofa in the back of the Galaxy and you can just about squeeze a 3M length of wood inside it. I haven't tried it in the Alhambra since we normally use the more elderly Galaxy as our cargo lugger. The Alhambra is probably a little smaller inside but there's not much in it.

The suspension on the Alhambra is a bit taughter and holds the road a little better but both cars drive well.

I do like the DSG gearbox on the Alhambra though. It is very smooth and cruise control continues to operate when it changes gear, whereas on the manual Galaxy, changing gear disengages it. The cruise control on the Alhambra is also much easier to operate because you can see what speedit is set at whereas on the Galaxy, you have to be careful not to hit resume when in a 30mph limit when it was set at 70mph. With the proliferation of average speed cameras in the UK these days, cruise control is a real benefit.

The Satnav on the Alhambra is rubbish. We have a top of the range TomTom which we use when hiring cars abroad and that is in a different league to the built-in one.

It all boils down to a matter of personal preference. We like the Alhambra but it it a newer model and top of the range. The Galaxy is a Ghia which is still a reasonable spec. If you are looking at buying new, look at Drive the Deal website, get the best price on there and use it to negotiate a price with a local dealer.
    I have found the same with pretty much all built in sat-navs, and use my TomTom here too

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by barnaby_s View Post
    I have found the same with pretty much all built in sat-navs, and use my TomTom here too
    I don't have a vehicle with a built in sat nav so I own a Tom Tom. I always carry it it in the various company cars as it has got me out of trouble so many times when the built in ones let me down.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I don't have a vehicle with a built in sat nav so I own a Tom Tom. I always carry it it in the various company cars as it has got me out of trouble so many times when the built in ones let me down.
    Can't you just use the one on your phone
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    Can't you just use the one on your phone
    I never have a quality phone and I like a large screen on my Tom tom 'cos the peepers are getting old.
    In fact, I am getting old, I use a phone for calls and text, a camera for pictures and the only reason I use a sat nav is because it is dangerous to read a map and compass while driving.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.