Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3442 of 3512 FirstFirst ... 244229423342339234323440344134423443344434523492 ... LastLast
Results 34,411 to 34,420 of 35120
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not quite an Alms House then
    It's the town houses, which might just be a Suffolk thing, most villages have a set.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    Ours was built in 15 something as a way to pay for the local poor before workhouses came in - the rent for the row of cottages paid for bread and housing.
    Not sure if sticks held together with mud and sh!t, standing on bare earth should count as a house these days.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not sure if sticks held together with mud and sh!t, standing on bare earth should count as a house these days.
    Why not? Keeps the rain off.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Why not? Keeps the rain off.
    "Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us." Monty Python.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My mother used to do a pretty good version of that - her family got the first ever council house in Aldeburgh when they were up to 9 children and before that they lived in a one room shed in someone's garden.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My mother used to do a pretty good version of that - her family got the first ever council house in Aldeburgh when they were up to 9 children and before that they lived in a one room shed in someone's garden.
    How times have changed. Some people complain if their kids have to share a room or the council won't provide a fridge and freezer.
    Paul.

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    How times have changed. Some people complain if their kids have to share a room or the council won't provide a fridge and freezer.
    Very sadly only too true.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    My granddad served in the Navy in WW2 and ended up coming home to a disused coach that he and my gran used for a few years before they finally were allocated a council house. No central heating, no insulation and very basic amenities but it was home to them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    My granddad served in the Navy in WW2 and ended up coming home to a disused coach that he and my gran used for a few years before they finally were allocated a council house. No central heating, no insulation and very basic amenities but it was home to them.
    Youngsters today will never understand the lack of quality houses and real poverty that was around then, all they see is "boomers" that have it all. Outside loos, thick frost inside bedroom windows, virtually no welfare state & living in cardboard box in middle o motorway etc.
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by gpj View Post
    Youngsters today will never understand the lack of quality houses and real poverty that was around then, all they see is "boomers" that have it all. Outside loos, thick frost inside bedroom windows, virtually no welfare state & living in cardboard box in middle o motorway etc.
    At the risk of getting political, give the tory government a few more terms and we'll be well on our way back to "the good old days".
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!