Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3461 of 3475 FirstFirst ... 24612961336134113451345934603461346234633471 ... LastLast
Results 34,601 to 34,610 of 34750
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We were doing our Waitrose on-line delivery order today and did a search for 'Poo bags' for the dog. The website offered us 'poppadums'. I don't think they would work somehow!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    On a similar vein, I bought a bat detector kit and assembled it yesterday. Five things to plug in and two nuts to tighten. Just about my limit with electronics! I just have to wait for some bats to turn up so I can try it out.
    Does that not negate the need for a detector?

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Detector/identifier. Smart @rse.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Nah, it's a whole different experience when you get to hear them as well as see them. A couple of years ago, we stayed at a b&b in a farm near Keswick. The farmer joined us in the evening to watch the bats and he was totally awestruck when we turned the detector on. In 70+ years he'd never heard the bats outside his front door.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    On a similar vein, I bought a bat detector kit and assembled it yesterday. Five things to plug in and two nuts to tighten. Just about my limit with electronics! I just have to wait for some bats to turn up so I can try it out.
    If it doesn't work, how will you know?
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine Ė French critic and historian (1828-93)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Guernsey View Post
    I have used it to pick up other ultrasonic sounds such those put out by energy saving lamps.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Guernsey View Post
    Glad to see you still on-line, or is it just the Jerseyans who are p!ssing off the French and getting their power cut off?
    Paul.

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Glad to see you still on-line, or is it just the Jerseyans who are p!ssing off the French and getting their power cut off?
    It'll be fine. The local re-enactment contingent are seeing 'em off with musket fire. You couldn't make it up.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    It'll be fine. The local re-enactment contingent are seeing 'em off with musket fire. You couldn't make it up.
    We have sent a gunboat. That always used to work in the past, why not this time.
    Paul.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    Nah, it's a whole different experience when you get to hear them as well as see them. A couple of years ago, we stayed at a b&b in a farm near Keswick. The farmer joined us in the evening to watch the bats and he was totally awestruck when we turned the detector on. In 70+ years he'd never heard the bats outside his front door.
    Not surprised he had never heard the bats before as they use frequencies we can't hear (ultra sonic being the clue).

Have to say the bats here aren't too impressive. Stayed at a camp ground in Nevada (Valley of Fire) and there were a large number of pretty big insects flying around in the light (probably attracted by the lights on the shower/toilet block). This attracted a good 10-20 bats some of which had wingspans which appeared to be about 18-24 inches and all of whom were in clear view due to the lights. I decided not to try to use the block once between sunset and sunrise preferring to use the RV facilities.