Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jabbed?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jabbed?

I just got back from having my 1st Coronavirus jab. I have no special reasons for being selected early so they must just be down to my age group in Sussex.

I'm in my pre-Beatles year (currently 63 / https://youtu.be/HCTunqv1Xt4) and I volunteered to get it done slightly earlier by going to the nearest vaccination centre (Eastbourne) rather than waiting for it to be done in my home towns.

How goes it in your area?

I have to say that it was very smooth and quick and that I never bothered to check what it said on the vaccine label. They said that I was being given the Oxford-AstraZeneca so I guess that's what I got.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finless View Post
    I just got back from having my 1st Coronavirus jab. I have no special reasons for being selected early so they must just be down to my age group in Sussex.

I'm in my pre-Beatles year (currently 63 / https://youtu.be/HCTunqv1Xt4) and I volunteered to get it done slightly earlier by going to the nearest vaccination centre (Eastbourne) rather than waiting for it to be done in my home towns.

How goes it in your area?

I have to say that it was very smooth and quick and that I never bothered to check what it said on the vaccine label. They said that I was being given the Oxford-AstraZeneca so I guess that's what I got.
    I got a letter because I have turned 65. Booked online (2 dates) and had a choice of venues.
    All went very smoothly, hats off to the staff there.

I felt pretty rough for an hour or so that night, shivers and feeling cold. Had a headache all the next day and felt lethargic for another day. Back to normal after that. Well, as normal as I ever get.
    Next jab is in May.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Had mine about 10 days ago, no idea why but didn't argue. Had it at 3pm, absolutely fine until 1.30am, then very ill indeed for about 2 days, arm just stopped hurting yesterday. Rob had a slightly sore arm for 2 days, no other effects. He now wonders if this means I'm more 'proof' against it than him?
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Missus and I had ours a couple of Sundays back. Same age within three weeks. First and second booked at the same time (next one is 13th May). No fuss and easily done (together) 8 miles from home. Astra Zenica and my only reaction was a slight soreness in my arm the next day. Apart from all the checking who you were and the PPE, it was just like getting a flu jab.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've got mine on Friday, I have to go to the local BT compound!
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not had mine yet, i'm 51 and they're not doing us yet. I'll probably only have it if it means i can travel, not that i'm anti vax or Bill gates conspiacy theorist, just dont wanna take medicines i dont need
    Not the dodgy one, the nice one

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sean0801 View Post
    Not had mine yet, i'm 51 and they're not doing us yet. I'll probably only have it if it means i can travel, not that i'm anti vax or Bill gates conspiacy theorist, just dont wanna take medicines i dont need
    It isn't just about the medicines YOU need, it helps prevent those people that cannot take the vaccine catching from you. It also reduces the risk of you needing hospitalisation or dying - did you know that from July to the end of June there were just short of 3,000 deaths in your age range. Bear in mind that the NHS has been aiming its services at those that have the best chance of survival and then factor in that those over 80 are unlikely to be put onto a ventilator compared to a 51 year old then you will see that the risk of being very ill with COVID as a 51 year old is not that much lower than someone, say 80. Reducing your risk by 80% - as is the last estimate that I heard about for the two main jabs and you will see that you are also doing it for yourself.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My wife and I (I'm 73) had ours at the beginning of February (the Astra Zenica jab) and our second is due in April. No after effects whatsoever. However, given all the travel vaccinations I've had over the years, my body is used to having to contend with all sorts of odd invaders!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    It isn't just about the medicines YOU need, it helps prevent those people that cannot take the vaccine catching from you. It also reduces the risk of you needing hospitalisation or dying - did you know that from July to the end of June there were just short of 3,000 deaths in your age range. Bear in mind that the NHS has been aiming its services at those that have the best chance of survival and then factor in that those over 80 are unlikely to be put onto a ventilator compared to a 51 year old then you will see that the risk of being very ill with COVID as a 51 year old is not that much lower than someone, say 80. Reducing your risk by 80% - as is the last estimate that I heard about for the two main jabs and you will see that you are also doing it for yourself.
    Sorry but personal choice also comes into the equation unless i woke up in north korea this morning. I was also invited to have a free flu jab this year but also declined that. I'm not anti vax, i'd rather wait till such time as i struggle to fight of flu by myself. As an aside, i had Covid late last march early april and had an antigen test a few weeks ago and i stll have plenty of antibodies. I'm thinking of selling my blood to buy a new drysuit
    Not the dodgy one, the nice one

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not in the age group for getting my jag yet (yes we call them jags up here not jabs) but I will take it as soon as offered. I am of the opinion that anything I can do to reduce my chances of getting it and spreading it (there is a significant reduction in spread due to vaccinations) is in both my interests and the interests of my family and friends. If I end up ill for a few days, so be it - it will be a price well worth paying. The sooner more people get the vaccine, the quicker things return to something like normal.

People draw links between this and flu but it is far more insidious. Flu, without pre-existing conditions, is in most cases relatively innocuous (a few days bed rest) and relatively easy to avoid as there are less asymptomatic carriers and it has a short incubation period. Covid on the other hand has a long incubation period, high proportion of asymptomatic carriers which make tracking an outbreak a lot harder and a number of ways where it can do long term damage - the NHS will be looking at long Covid for years

Looking at predictions I am likely to be sometime between mid April and mid May.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast