Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3524 of 3548 FirstFirst ... 25243024342434743514352235233524352535263534 ... LastLast
Results 35,231 to 35,240 of 35472
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel hewitt View Post
    Mine is on 7/24 but mutes overnight.

Too many years in the electronics business has taught me that power cycling is when things break.
    Could you mention that to the various souls who keep berating me for wasting energy leaving things in standby mode/powered down rather than shut down.

The number of machine shops that power down for Christmas, and come back in January to a load of machines with duff back up batteries and lost parameters: which reminds me...............

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    For some reason my phone seems to be receiving up to three days text messages all at one go when I turn it on in the morning. Why they are not coming through before that, who knows.
    The virgin website suggests I take the sim card out and rub the contacts...............
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The virgin website suggests I take the sim card out and rub the contacts...............
    Strangely, that seems to have worked. My sort of technology. Simple.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Timing

Thus is witchcraft I tell you.

SWMBO has just taken delivery of an iphone having previously been sensible like me and been a Samsung user. Anyway once I had provided valuable assistance in tracking down all her passwords stored in the most stupid places, app settings etc etc we discovered that texting was not working properly...I can send texts to friends but not SWMBO. SWMBO can text anyone. To play safe we obtained a new SIM for SWMBO. Nothing worked.

So I took this advice, rubbed the SIM and texting works. Marvellous. I was just about to write a long post on here seeking advice, and the answer was literally here on the screen.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian@1904 View Post
    Thus is witchcraft I tell you.

SWMBO has just taken delivery of an iphone having previously been sensible like me and been a Samsung user. Anyway once I had provided valuable assistance in tracking down all her passwords stored in the most stupid places, app settings etc etc we discovered that texting was not working properly...I can send texts to friends but not SWMBO. SWMBO can text anyone. To play safe we obtained a new SIM for SWMBO. Nothing worked.

So I took this advice, rubbed the SIM and texting works. Marvellous. I was just about to write a long post on here seeking advice, and the answer was literally here on the screen.
    Glad to be of help. I believe nano-gremlins like to put their tents up on the contacts because they are nice and flat.
    Paul.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    The number of machine shops that power down for Christmas, and come back in January to a load of machines with duff back up batteries and lost parameters: which reminds me...............
    Eight years in a row going out on 2nd January to fix printing presses that either the electricity people had cut power to or the company decided to power down. The other strange thing is when it doesn’t work they power off and back on. Now the original problem is still there and other things have gone wrong. At least I used to be paid well to fix them.

Mark

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    Eight years in a row going out on 2nd January to fix printing presses that either the electricity people had cut power to or the company decided to power down. The other strange thing is when it doesn’t work they power off and back on. Now the original problem is still there and other things have gone wrong. At least I used to be paid well to fix them.

Mark
    I always thought the ultimate in tech work was turning it off and back on again!
    By the way, this does not work with people.
    Paul.

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I always thought the ultimate in tech work was turning it off and back on again!
    By the way, this does not work with people.
    Isn't that what defibs are for?
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I do not recommend eating fresh bread from the oven, fig chutney and sprout quiche (no really) and a can of coke on the same day - even the cat was forced to leave the room!
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel hewitt View Post
    Mine is on 7/24 but mutes overnight.

Too many years in the electronics business has taught me that power cycling is when things break.
    Indeed but tell that to the young of today and they think that you are barbecuing baby seals in whale blubber... In my experience power supplies were particularly prone to dying on start up having worked perfectly 8 hours before