Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3403 of 3494 FirstFirst ... 240329033303335333933401340234033404340534133453 ... LastLast
Results 34,021 to 34,030 of 34934
    Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post
    My middle daughters name is Madison, nickname is moomin. She’s loads of moomin stuff. There’s a moomin shop in Covent Garden, but the series is not well known in the U.K. (my Belgian schooling, I’ve got a load of Asterix memories as well)

B
    I had a make as a nipper who's nickname was moomin, but that's because he looked like one.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    Drinking 5 pints of IPA, 1/4L of raki, 6 pints and 3 bottles of lager, and 1/2L of grappa leads you to puking on yourself while sitting on the toilet. Who knew!?
    Unfortunately for me, I don't get hangovers so lack the natural checks and balances.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Guernsey View Post
    Unfortunately for me, I don't get hangovers so lack the natural checks and balances.
    To get a hangover, you have to sober up.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    1/2" of snow brings London to a halt!

Literally dozens of cars stuck on hills round here as they learned that those smart low profile tyres have zero grip on snow.

Loads of minor accidents too - 5 cars ran into each other on the main road causing absolute chaos as they all stopped where they were to take pictures and exchange details.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I wonder how many would have (count have?) got it right?
    I didn't, but it was pretty close
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    1/2" of snow brings London to a halt!

Literally dozens of cars stuck on hills round here as they learned that those smart low profile tyres have zero grip on snow.

Loads of minor accidents too - 5 cars ran into each other on the main road causing absolute chaos as they all stopped where they were to take pictures and exchange details.
    A lot of it is down to people not knowing how to drive on snow irrespective of the tyres. They think that the cars will help (and to a certain degree they are possibly right).

When I learned it was in a clunky Fiesta Mk2. I don't recall much of an issue in snow - you started in second, used the throttle to manage your speed with any input as minimal as possible and avoided the brakes as much as humanly possible. Its did have pencil thin tyres which might have helped. We also learned how to control a skid ourselves (might have just been my group of mates but as soon as there was snow we were off to industrial estates/car parks to have fun - knowing what understeer/oversteer feels like, exactly what the point where you lose grip feels like and what direction and power/brake to apply came naturally after a while).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    A lot of it is down to people not knowing how to drive on snow irrespective of the tyres. They think that the cars will help (and to a certain degree they are possibly right).

When I learned it was in a clunky Fiesta Mk2. I don't recall much of an issue in snow - you started in second, used the throttle to manage your speed with any input as minimal as possible and avoided the brakes as much as humanly possible. Its did have pencil thin tyres which might have helped. We also learned how to control a skid ourselves (might have just been my group of mates but as soon as there was snow we were off to industrial estates/car parks to have fun - knowing what understeer/oversteer feels like, exactly what the point where you lose grip feels like and what direction and power/brake to apply came naturally after a while).
    That sounds like the mid/late `80s to me; Mk1 Scirroco GLi + snow =playtime!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    It most certainly was - I could only dream about a Scirroco though. Ended up with a Golf GTI many years later (as a company car no less) - damn that was fun.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Also sounds like my Ford Capri. Long bonnet + rear wheel drive = Torville and Dean, eat your hearts out.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post

Late 60's - Ford Anglia 105E - good fun