Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3428 of 3449 FirstFirst ... 24282928332833783418342634273428342934303438 ... LastLast
Results 34,271 to 34,280 of 34484
    Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My local kids' playground has a sign on each of the three gates into it saying "No horses allowed in this playground". This is in an urban area at least 1/4 mile away from a public bridleway. I'm curious what event hapenned in the past that has made the council put these signs up (they don't have the same signs on other playgrounds in town).

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Pikeys. If in doubt it's always pikeys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tens View Post
    Yesterday, ordered the Starlink broadband kit as a beta tester. Maybe another 6 months before delivery. At 56 degrees north, I'm right on the edge of their coverage (most of the satellites have a 53 deg inclination) but that will get better as more satellites are launched.

BT provide us with 0.7 Mb download. Starlink will be 50 to 150, and improving as more ground stations are built and satellites launched.
    Correction! Not a beta tester (those get their kit delivered in a couple of weeks as they should get satisfactory service atm). I've done a "pre-order" which means that they reckon I can't get reliable service at the moment, but by the time I get the gear in several months time, the service will have been extended northwards to include me. And speeds should increase to 300Mbps this year.

Happy atheist, despite the "evidence"...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tens View Post
    Correction! Not a beta tester (those get their kit delivered in a couple of weeks as they should get satisfactory service atm). I've done a "pre-order" which means that they reckon I can't get reliable service at the moment, but by the time I get the gear in several months time, the service will have been extended northwards to include me. And speeds should increase to 300Mbps this year.
    I realise I come at this from an well connected urban perspective, but I question whether the connectivity benefit v. damage to ground-based astronomy and simple interruption to the beauty of the night sky is worth it.

On another matter, who, domestically, needs 300Mbps? I really don't get it unless, perhaps, you need it for gaming in which case I would have thought low latency would be more important. I supose that there might be a case for a family of fifteen who each want to stream HD films simultaneously, but other than that I'm baffled by the speed obsession. It reminds me of the pixel count race in digital cameras that eventually slowed down.

One of the things that amazes me is that Freeview gives reasonable* HD pictures at far less than 10Mbps. The algorithms that knock it down from its native 3Gbps are extraordinary.

*Before anybody tells me that compressed HD isn't perfect, I'm the worst person to talk to about picture quality. The first fifteen years or so of my working life were spent picking holes in TV picture quality, and the last twenty or so desiging infrastructure to make it happen.

Here at home I never need more than, say, 15Mbps split between two of us.
    Happy to be a feminist SJ(K)W snowflake in a godless universe, no matter what some experts think. And Braun was a twat who's not missed. At all.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't know what speed I have and I have no idea how to find out.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A nature reserve that I subscribe to has finally brought in payment by bank transfer for yearly membership. This was the last payment I needed to pay by cheque. The end of an era has come.
    And I remember when personal cheques were a new and exciting thing.
    I also remember when CD's, eight tracks and cassette tapes were new and exciting....
    Blimey, now I start thinking about it, I have even seen satellite dishes come and go. What else has been going on whilst I have been slowly killing my brain with alcohol? Did anything ever come from those crazy ideas by Mr Bell?
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The next end of era is when your local stops taking cash for beer, hope I don't see that.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Our frogs are spawning in spite of the feeding habits of the local buzzard.
    Last edited by Tim Digger; 27-02-2021 at 05:46 PM.
    Tim Digger

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    My local kids' playground has a sign on each of the three gates into it saying "No horses allowed in this playground". This is in an urban area at least 1/4 mile away from a public bridleway. I'm curious what event hapenned in the past that has made the council put these signs up (they don't have the same signs on other playgrounds in town).

SInce lockdown signs seem to be breeding. I think there was a bunch of government money dished out for "errrr, you know - signs". In my local park as well as "Maintain Social Distancing" and so on we now also have signs for - "No Cycling in the No Cycling Area", "No electric or motorised scooters", "Joggers Give Way to Walkers". All of which are of course roundly ignored but I guess someone's bonus is tied to them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    SInce lockdown signs seem to be breeding. I think there was a bunch of government money dished out for "errrr, you know - signs". In my local park as well as "Maintain Social Distancing" and so on we now also have signs for - "No Cycling in the No Cycling Area", "No electric or motorised scooters", "Joggers Give Way to Walkers". All of which are of course roundly ignored but I guess someone's bonus is tied to them.
    The ones I hate (wrong thread of course) are the home printed heat sealed in plastic tied on around footpaths with cable ties for whatever purpose. Amateur or Professional. Do these people come and collect their plastic rubbish when their cat/dog/child has come home or catching covid from a style has been debunked? No of course not they litter the countryside!
    Tim Digger